• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Service manual

kellenbenz

kellenbenz
Has anyone had any luck buying a service manual for a 2017 RT from BMW? When I bought my RT I had the service manual included in the sale. That was February 2017 and the manual is still not available from BMW. The 2018 bikes are arriving at dealers now. I have 31,000 miles on this RT now and sooner or later I am going to need that manual. I have written BMWNA customer service and they do reply, but it is all lip service not actual service.

Ron

I bought the JVB Productions DVD that covers wethead bikes..
pretty much covers normal service on bikes, also has a service check off list
Easy to follow

Has anyone had any luck buying a service manual for a 2017 RT from BMW? When I bought my RT I had the service manual included in the sale. That was February 2017 and the manual is still not available from BMW. The 2018 bikes are arriving at dealers now. I have 31,000 miles on this RT now and sooner or later I am going to need that manual. I have written BMWNA customer service and they do reply, but it is all lip service not actual service.

Ron
As mentioned, I think it's on disc. Haynes is still at 2016- https://haynes.com/en-us/bmw/r1200rt/2014-2016
There is always a lag time, even more if a purchase of say an '18 in '17.
With 31K on the bike already, your doing great :thumb
OM

Max BMW shows the Windows DVD, but notes "06/2017 - manufacture backorder, no ETA.".

The disc is the same for all the Wetheads (part 01 59 8 555 666).

How hard can it be for BMW to have a new batch of DVDs made?

The disc is the same for all the Wetheads (part 01 59 8 555 666).

I have not tried it on my R1200RS DVD which I copied to my desktop, but you are supposed to be able to update the file as changes are made.
I don't think BMW labels the DVDs as 2015RT, 2016RT, 2017Rt ect, but have revisions every so often.

I just looked at my R1200RS DVD and it shows R1200R, R1200RS, Model Year 2015 onward, Updateable.

Haynes Manual

I purchased a Haynes BMW '13 to '16 Liquid-cooled Twins service manual. Unfortunately, many pages are printer so lightly I can not make them out. Have been trying to get Haynes to respond to me on getting a replacement. Has anyone else had this situation?

Just got a response from Haynes. They are going to mail me a corrected manual. Speaks highly of their commitment. So far so good.

Last edited:
I purchased a Haynes BMW '13 to '16 Liquid-cooled Twins service manual. Unfortunately, many pages are printer so lightly I can not make them out. Have been trying to get Haynes to respond to me on getting a replacement. Has anyone else had this situation?

I have the same manual. It is a step backwards in printing quality from the other Haynes manuals I have. Cheap pulpy paper, poor printing quality and a soft rather than hard cover. I have not discovered any illegible pages, but disappointing none the less.

Haynes definitely had a bad batch with poor print quality. I purchased a copy 3 weeks ago from Amazon and the quality is fine with no bad pages. I specifically ordered from Amazon so I could easily return it if there were bad pages. The paper (.00425") and printing appears to be the same as the Anonymous book - adequate for the purpose but not like the Clymers and Haynes of yesteryear. I'm happy with my copy. So far I'm happy with the content too. Time will tell.:thumb

01 59 8 555 666

Howdy,
I have the disc 01 59 8 555 666. It states on the front "Repair Manuals R Models K5x Model Year 2013 Onwards" and on the rear "R1200 GS, R1200GS Adventure and R1200 RT". Once loaded on to your PC it is easy to update. I've done it a couple of times now. Find this exe "Repair_Manuals_Update.exe" and double click.
Later,
Norm

2017 repair disc

Howdy,
I have the disc 01 59 8 555 666. It states on the front "Repair Manuals R Models K5x Model Year 2013 Onwards" and on the rear "R1200 GS, R1200GS Adventure and R1200 RT". Once loaded on to your PC it is easy to update. I've done it a couple of times now. Find this exe "Repair_Manuals_Update.exe" and double click.
Later,
Norm

Where did you get from and when did you get it? I've been trying for three years.

From the MOA Mission Statement: "... sharing our passion for motorcycles".

For the author of this letter in the September ON and for many of us the passion cooled with BMW's decision to discontinue service manuals.

Attachments

• BMW ON 202209 Letter Passion.jpg
    BMW ON 202209 Letter Passion.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 88
Back