Thread: Proper Brake Bleed Procedure Using GS911 on 2014 1200 GSW

Proper Brake Bleed Procedure Using GS911 on 2014 1200 GSW

I'm preparing to flush the brake fluid on my 2014 1200 GSW.
    I have a Hex GS911 but have not been able to find the proper flush sequence (including the abs unit) anywhere for a 1200 GS wethead.
    Do I need to flush the abs (with GS911) while bleeding the rear calipers, and then again while bleeding the front calipers.
    I'm installing Brake Bleeders to make this a one man operation.

Quote Originally Posted by purm1200gs View Post
    I'm preparing to flush the brake fluid on my 2014 1200 GSW.
    I have a Hex GS911 but have not been able to find the proper flush sequence (including the abs unit) anywhere for a 1200 GS wethead.
    Do I need to flush the abs (with GS911) while bleeding the rear calipers, and then again while bleeding the front calipers.
    I'm installing Brake Bleeders to make this a one man operation.
    I think (I said think - this may not be gospel) that you do not need a GS911 to bleed the brakes on a wethead. I think this need only applies to whizzy brakes on earlier models. I am sure I will be corrected if this is wrong.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Hex Code provides instructions on using the GS-911WIFI to bleed brakes on bikes made since 2007 on this web site:

https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/g...dures/iabs2can
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

The info on the hexcode site is not very clear....to me anyway.

What I'm thinking is:
    Empty and fill Front Reservoir..bleed right front caliper....1st flush of abs with GS911...Do another manual flush of R front caliper
    Empty and fill Front Reservoir..bleed left front caliper.....2nd flush of abs with GS911....Do another manual flush of L front caliper
    Empty and fill Rear Reservoir..bleed Rear caliper.....3rd flush of abs with GS911..Do another manual flush of Rear caliper.

Is this correct???

How about this:

Bleed brakes the traditional way, front and rear.
    Go to a controlled environment and practice emergency braking.
    Engage ABS front and rear.
    If you are super anal, then bleed brakes again.
    Now you have increased confidence in your braking ability and well bled brakes.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Use the GS-911 while doing the rear brakes and it will flush the ABS unit.

It will also push fresh fluid as you do the front ones too. No big deal not a lot of fluid. I used the IV bag and speed bleeders it was a very easy thing to do. Just watch your fluid levels as the GS-911 will pump it out quick,

Also used a turkey baster to suck old fluid out and fill with fresh fluid to start the flush. You got this.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I have been getting adjusted to "pulling" the fluid through with a Mity-Vac

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_hvpk.asp

I've yet to try a motorcycle with ABS.....Found it works fine on cars.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I have been getting adjusted to "pulling" the fluid through with a Mity-Vac

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_hvpk.asp

I've yet to try a motorcycle with ABS.....Found it works fine on cars.

OM
    You need to open the valves on the ABS block. A GS-911 does that.

Or as has been suggested engage the ABS block after a brake flush of the calipers and lines, make the ABS kick in, and clean it by dilution. I just know I want to do whatever I can for the ABS block.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    You need to open the valves on the ABS block. A GS-911 does that.

Or as has been suggested engage the ABS block after a brake flush of the calipers and lines, make the ABS kick in, and clean it by dilution. I just know I want to do whatever I can for the ABS block.
    I wonder how much brake fluid is actually trapped in there?
    I wonder if a dealer worries about how much brake fluid is trapped in there when they do a flush.
    I wish the GS-911 was happier with Apple products.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I wonder how much brake fluid is actually trapped in there?
    I wonder if a dealer worries about how much brake fluid is trapped in there when they do a flush.
    I wish the GS-911 was happier with Apple products.

OM
    I wonder about all those questions also.

I would imagine those valve chambers hold very small quantity of brake fluid. I just do what I can to keep them clean. On every ABS bike I have owned I always kicked in ABS on gravel just to make it function and to know how it feels when it does kick in.

I plan on dying with this bike so I want to keep it. We hear about these ABS blocks that failed on the earlier models and it makes me paranoid. I think on those models you could disconnect and just ride without ABS. I am thinking on these new bikes that will not be a option especially with DTC and ABS Pro coming into the mix.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

[QUOTE=LFarling;1105906]I wonder about all those questions also.

I would imagine those valve chambers hold very small quantity of brake fluid. I just do what I can to keep them clean. On every ABS bike I have owned I always kicked in ABS on gravel just to make it function and to know how it feels when it does kick in.

I plan on dying with this bike so I want to keep it. We hear about these ABS blocks that failed on the earlier models and it makes me paranoid. I think on those models you could disconnect and just ride without ABS. I am thinking on these new bikes that will not be a option especially with DTC and ABS Pro coming into the mix.[/QUO had the brake fluid flushed in my rtw with 85k yesterday.i asked the tech how bad the fluid looked and he said "not bad".I told him that was the 1st brake flush and they were surprised it was so clean.They told me that if i lived there in florida and went that long between flushes the fluid would be brown and bad.They attribute that to the extra heat and humidity in florida.

Here you can see where the fluid starts to run clean in the back half of the line. Now understand I had emptied the reservoir's with a turkey baster and filled with new fluid. That was the rear with a ABS flush just as posted earlier in this thread.

As far as how much fluid the ABS block holds, I do not think that is the point.

I am thinking the continues use of the ABS block at one time, and repeating that on all three calipers is the point of the GS-911 or the dealer as they use the computer to do it for service. I think the amount of time you run it with the computer far exceeds the amount of time a rider uses it in a two year period.

2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17