• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heading to The Dragon

Finally some pics. In pretty much random order, but I'm sure you get the idea. LOL...

Rode altogether 2349 miles in five days. Butt, back and knees are still a bit sore, but it was all definitely worth it! Now I just need to figure out what to do with the seat. AND get a new rear tire, as that seems to have enjoyed the trip so much that it has eaten itself off the sides quite a bit...

Attachments

• dragon 7.jpg
    dragon 7.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 179
  • dragon 1.jpg
    dragon 1.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 176
  • dragon 8.jpg
    dragon 8.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 176
A few more...

And you can see how bad the front tire was. LOL...

Attachments

• dragon 9.jpg
    dragon 9.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 177
  • dragon 10.jpg
    dragon 10.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 177
  • dragon_Fri_008.jpg
    dragon_Fri_008.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 180
More.

Attachments

• IMG_20171006_075537.jpg
    IMG_20171006_075537.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20171006_104909-02.jpg
    IMG_20171006_104909-02.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 177
  • YI055301_102192376-01.jpeg
    YI055301_102192376-01.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 177
Last one.

Last pic is from the Jack Daniels visitor center in Lynchburg, TN. A guy showed up in a self-made bike with a one cylinder Cummins diesel in it. That was pretty damn cool!

Attachments

• dragon 12.jpg
    dragon 12.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 178
  • dragon 13.jpg
    dragon 13.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20171007_123733-01.jpg
    IMG_20171007_123733-01.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 178
Glad you enjoyed your trip! We actually were in Robbinsville the same time you were! We also rode the Skyway but knew better than to ride the Dragon. Been there, done that....once was enough, besides there are other roads there that are just as much fun without the crazies you have on the Dragon. The friend we were riding with wanted to go by the famous store (not sure why, and we knew better, but didn't want to hurt his feelings so we went) NEVER AGAIN. I was so glad when we got out of there without someone wobbling into us. What a bunch of idiots. I will not even put one of those little dragon stickers on my m/c because I hate the stupid "biker" culture so much that anything they like, I don't. It sounds like you had a very enjoyable trip :thumb.

Or save your nickles and dimes and ride some real curves...

(Sigh... I tried to start the video at 10:10 into the video but it doesn't work here. Scroll ahead as needed. BTW, this video is in UHD 4K, check it out if you have the bandwidth for it. )

I was at the Dragon this fall as well.(Oct. 9-13, 2017). We did the dragon and skyway and Maggie Valley. I really enjoyed riding the Moonshiner 28. There were a lot of turns but not as technical as the dragon. Less traffic too.

I was at the Dragon this fall as well.(Oct. 9-13, 2017). We did the dragon and skyway and Maggie Valley. I really enjoyed riding the Moonshiner 28. There were a lot of turns but not as technical as the dragon. Less traffic too.

During the MOA Fontana Dam Getaway last April, I was heading east back to the getaway site from TN, and US129 was the only near-direct way to get there. As I approached from the west I could see a bunch of cars and bikes in the parking lot at the west end of the Dragon. I went on down the road and was almost alone for the entire length of the Dragon. The reason appeared 1/2-way through when I spotted a bunch of Troopers or Sheriff's Deputies stopping West-bound riders. I think they had radar there too, but they seemed pretty busy giving out performance awards. They made a pleasant Saturday afternoon on the Dragon a pretty calm transit.

Boring?

There's a lot of adjectives I'd use to describe riding the Dragon; boring is NOT one of them. Just saying...

There's a lot of adjectives I'd use to describe riding the Dragon; boring is NOT one of them. Just saying...
I hate the traffic and the people that use the entire road but I agree, boring isn't descriptive of our experience. The surrounding roads are better though.

Pic below is just a mile or two from Deal's Gap many moons ago before it got famous.
1987 K75s BMW Hwy 28.jpg

Click here for a short Deal's Gap video. Susan is holding a digital camera over my shoulder, her other hand on my thigh.

Or save your nickles and dimes and ride some real curves...

Apples and Oranges. I'm not a fan of switchbacks, preferring smooth transitions between curves. Not to say that I haven't enjoyed many, many miles in the Alps.

I find that it is easy to avoid the crowd scene at the "Dragon", and a very fun road when you have it all to yourself.

Not sure where the boring came out of, but at least I didn't find it boring. It's just way too crowded to my liking (probably depending on the timing, of course) and like rdalland mentioned above, I'm also not necessarily a big friend of constant switchbacks. A bit longer sweepers combined with a few switchbacks mixed in here and there are more to my liking.

Nevertheless, been there, done that when it comes to the Dragon. Time to move on. There are plenty of roads to choose from around the country, so no need to go and ride the same ones over and over again.

Back