Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heading to The Dragon

I did the Dragon a number of years ago. I found it rather boring. I did it early on a weekday, so I had the whole road to myself. I was a little concerned about the cops and speeding, so pretty much kept it near the speed limit. At those speeds, on a motorcycle...again, I found it boring. Still, checked off the bucket list.

What was fun was leaving the Dragon (I was heading west to east) and riding the smaller roads in the Great Smokey Mountains on my way to Johnson City for the national rally that year. Now that was cool. I "aired" the bike out a bike and felt I could attack the turns/roads a bit more!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I did the Dragon a number of years ago. I found it rather boring. I did it early on a weekday, so I had the whole road to myself. I was a little concerned about the cops and speeding, so pretty much kept it near the speed limit. At those speeds, on a motorcycle...again, I found it boring. Still, checked off the bucket list.

What was fun was leaving the Dragon (I was heading west to east) and riding the smaller roads in the Great Smokey Mountains on my way to Johnson City for the national rally that year. Now that was cool. I "aired" the bike out a bike and felt I could attack the turns/roads a bit more!
    +1 - same experience

Back when Pete was running the little store and camp sites at the corner and you could buy a T shirt - one style - one color - the Dragon was fun.

Then as in most things, humans ruined it with excess: excess speed; excess crashes; excess unlicensed race bikes; excess tickets; excess reductions to the speed limits; excess speed traps, excess poor riders looking for a notch in their belt; etc.

Not to mention Pete retired, sold the corner to big business and ruined that experience too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Great day once again. Even though we are heading back home. Kickstands were up at 8am EDT and got to the hotel in New Albany, MS around 7.30pm CDT.

Cherohala Skyway was interesting, since most of it was covered by clouds and humidity was well over 100%, so riding was all about just trying to stay on the right side of the hedge. Especially on the NC side which had new asfalt on it. Clouds were so thick at times that you could barely see the bike in front of you that was maybe 50-60 feet away.

Still went through some really nice county roads after heading out of Tellico Plains. The rest was then just cruising on some bigger roads with a short stint on Natchez Trace Parkway. Still staying off interstates, though. Started to get first signs of hurricane Nate about 30 minutes from the hotel. Nothing bad, just some sprinkles.

Tomorrow morning will be a different thing, though... We're planning to leave around 8am and chance of rain is around 80%. Might have to start with full rain gear.

Again... Pics have to follow when I'm home, since I just can't upload them at the moment.
    1999 BMW R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    +1 - same experience
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Back when Pete was running the little store and camp sites at the corner and you could buy a T shirt - one style - one color - the Dragon was fun.

Then as in most things, humans ruined it with excess: excess speed; excess crashes; excess unlicensed race bikes; excess tickets; excess reductions to the speed limits; excess speed traps, excess poor riders looking for a notch in their belt; etc.

Not to mention Pete retired, sold the corner to big business and ruined that experience too.
    Yeah, I can only imagine what it must've been quite a few years ago. Now that I've been there, I don't think I need to go there again. I enjoyed Cherohala Skyway and Blue Ridge Parkway more. A lot of people on those, too, but definitely not as congested. And of course we were not there during the high season, so that makes a difference, too.

Not to mention some of the regular county roads our guy was able plot for us for the trip. Those were hell of a lot of fun, too! Good thing is that he used to live in Atlanta and had been in the the are many times.
    1999 BMW R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by tsuintx View Post
    Now that I've been there, I don't think I need to go there again....
    It's like going to Sturgis, once is enough for many folks.

Thanks for the report.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Finally some pics. In pretty much random order, but I'm sure you get the idea. LOL...

Rode altogether 2349 miles in five days. Butt, back and knees are still a bit sore, but it was all definitely worth it! Now I just need to figure out what to do with the seat. AND get a new rear tire, as that seems to have enjoyed the trip so much that it has eaten itself off the sides quite a bit...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1999 BMW R1100RT

A few more...

And you can see how bad the front tire was. LOL...
    1999 BMW R1100RT

More.
    1999 BMW R1100RT

Last one.

Last pic is from the Jack Daniels visitor center in Lynchburg, TN. A guy showed up in a self-made bike with a one cylinder Cummins diesel in it. That was pretty damn cool!
    1999 BMW R1100RT

Glad you enjoyed your trip! We actually were in Robbinsville the same time you were! We also rode the Skyway but knew better than to ride the Dragon. Been there, done that....once was enough, besides there are other roads there that are just as much fun without the crazies you have on the Dragon. The friend we were riding with wanted to go by the famous store (not sure why, and we knew better, but didn't want to hurt his feelings so we went) NEVER AGAIN. I was so glad when we got out of there without someone wobbling into us. What a bunch of idiots. I will not even put one of those little dragon stickers on my m/c because I hate the stupid "biker" culture so much that anything they like, I don't. It sounds like you had a very enjoyable trip .
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Or save your nickles and dimes and ride some real curves...

(Sigh... I tried to start the video at 10:10 into the video but it doesn't work here. Scroll ahead as needed. BTW, this video is in UHD 4K, check it out if you have the bandwidth for it. )
    Some people are wise. Some people are otherwise.