• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018rt vs 2017rt

The only changes for the 2018 model year were colors. The bronze color is gone and in its place is a red-orange color, "Mars red metallic," with a dark slate metallic nose. Otherwise BMW continued with the 2017 changes.

No RT TFT in 2018. GS, yes. RT may be 2019.

Tft

The only changes for the 2018 model year were colors. The bronze color is gone and in its place is a red-orange color, "Mars red metallic," with a dark slate metallic nose. Otherwise BMW continued with the 2017 changes.

No RT TFT in 2018. GS, yes. RT may be 2019.

OK being new to BMW what is TFT?

and, more specifically, BMW's new TFT dash explained.

I see the new functions as a step in the right direction, but would have preferred that BMW simply added Android Auto and/or the Apple equivalent. The navigation function looks to be severely limited and the suggestion that the system might Bluetooth to only the BMW Communication System would make this option very unattractive.

As redesigning the RT dash to replace the current instruments could be very expensive, it's possible the RT will not get the TFT until the entire bike is redone for the rumored 1250cc VVT engine.

Last edited:
2018 BMW R1200RT Press Release

Here's the excerpt from BMW's press release on the 2018 RT.

Anyone know the difference between ASC, Traction Control, and the new "Dynamic Traction Control?"

PRESS RELEASE:

BMW R 1200 RT.

As of model year 2018, the R 1200 RT will not just be delivered in new paint finishes, but will also receive the banking-optimised ABS Pro as well as the dynamic brake light as standard to increase safety even further. The range of optional equipment is expanded by the Emergency Call for making an emergency online call as well as Dynamic Traction Control DTC (in conjunction with the Pro riding modes optional equipment). An embossed RT logo in the passenger seat area visually enhances the visual appeal of the R 1200 RT even further.

An overview of the new features in the BMW R 1200 RT:

ABS Pro including dynamic brake light as standard.
Emergency Call (optional equipment).
Dynamic Traction Control DTC (in conjunction with the Pro riding modes optional equipment).
RT logo embossed on passenger seat.
BMW Motorrad Spezial parts (special paintwork and equipment).
Style Elegance: Carbon black metallic, windshield covers and chrome-plated handlebar weights, chrome pannier trim, gold brake callipers, silver wheel rims, silver drivetrain.
Style Sport: new colour Mars red metallic / Dark slate metallic matt with tapes, gold brake callipers, Sport windshield, Asphalt grey wheel rims, black drivetrain.
The paint finish Platinum bronze is no longer available.

ASC used only wheel speed sensors to detect wheel spin and regulate power.

In addition to the wheel speed sensors, DTC uses sensors for lean angle and (I think) accelerations in all directions to determine if power should be modulated. The lean angle sensors were added for the soon-to-be-standard ABS Pro, so DTC extends their usefulness for non-braking conditions.

DTC has been around for a while on some S1000 and K1600 models.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/technology_detail/suspension/item_dtc.html&notrack=1

My new bike

Picking up on the 13th, accessories added:

red2.jpg

I'm pretty excited! Short run on 13th then to storage, first trip on 2Nov to FL panhandle for shake down cruise.

Scott

Picking up on the 13th, accessories added:

View attachment 64402

I'm pretty excited! Short run on 13th then to storage, first trip on 2Nov to FL panhandle for shake down cruise.

Scott

When I first saw photos of the new red RT, I thought it looked too orange.

Today I saw one "in the flesh" at my dealer, and I confess the metallic red looks really nice, and not as "orangey" as the photos depicted it. And the graphics are also nice.

The only thing that I did not like was the dark gray nose. If I had one, it would change that to matching red before I would take delivery.

But I have two RTs (blue and white), and I do not need another one!

But I have two RTs (blue and white), and I do not need another one!

HA! Like the word "need" should ever be spoken when referring to motorcycles! HA! And just think if you added the RED then you would have the red, white, and blue trifecta! :dance

HA! Like the word "need" should ever be spoken when referring to motorcycles! HA! And just think if you added the RED then you would have the red, white, and blue trifecta! :dance

Here is my trifecta -- red white and blue, or, white blue and red :)

Attachments

• 3 bikes.jpg
    3 bikes.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
ASC used only wheel speed sensors to detect wheel spin and regulate power.

In addition to the wheel speed sensors, DTC uses sensors for lean angle and (I think) accelerations in all directions to determine if power should be modulated. The lean angle sensors were added for the soon-to-be-standard ABS Pro, so DTC extends their usefulness for non-braking conditions.

DTC has been around for a while on some S1000 and K1600 models.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/technology_detail/suspension/item_dtc.html&notrack=1

I believe the 2018 RT comes standard now with ABS Pro, at least that is what there press release says. But then that may only be a translated release for Europe and may not apply for the USA.

Back