Thread: Day Tripping in Central PA

Day Tripping in Central PA

My local rides and favorites in Central PA and beyond. Mostly a mix of back roads and state forest dirt roads. Very little highway riding.
    bmw2003gs in Harrisburg

Day Trip to High Knob Overlook near Eagles Mere, PA

I had a great ride up to High Knob recently. It was one of those clear days where you can see all the mountains the marker says are out there. The ride down from there, on a dirt SF road leads to the Loyalsock Creek and valley, a great ride out. There were lots of motorcycles down along the 'Sock as I was passing through. If you are heading south out of Williamsport, divert to 554 and 44 instead of taking US 15 all the way and you will be rewarded with some twisties and a nice trek over the mountain direct.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jeffryasmith; 10-02-2017 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Typo and Spelling
    bmw2003gs in Harrisburg

The Route to High Knob

Up 220 to 42 to Eagles Mere. Turn toward Worlds End SP and then turn onto High Knob road on the Loyalsock SF. A departure that includes 87 down through the Loyalsock Creek Valley will be very rewarding.
    bmw2003gs in Harrisburg

Goldmine Road is a great ride

I had to go out to Hermy's BMW today. My favorite route is 443 and 895 with a side trip on Swopes Valley Road. Much better than pounding the pavement on I78. Rode home on 209 so I could set up the entrance to Goldmine road near Tower City. I see many MC's traveling over Goldmine. It is a great ride over the mountains.

Ride100717Hermys.jpg
    bmw2003gs in Harrisburg

Blue, Kittitinny, and Tuscarora

Heading out to western Cumberland County on 641 is a good ride. After Roxbury you have several different choices to cross the mountains (Kittatiny and Blue). Heading over to Path Valley or heading over to Fannetsburg. Continue over to Shade Gap or Burnt Cabins and you get to include the Tuscarora as well. Nice ride over some great mountains with some great curves and deep valleys.
    bmw2003gs in Harrisburg

Quote Originally Posted by jeffryasmith View Post
    I had to go out to Hermy's BMW today. My favorite route is 443 and 895 with a side trip on Swopes Valley Road. Much better than pounding the pavement on I78. Rode home on 209 so I could set up the entrance to Goldmine road near Tower City. I see many MC's traveling over Goldmine. It is a great ride over the mountains.

Ride100717Hermys.jpg
    325 to 209 at Tower City then over to 895 via Ravine etc. is my most enjoyable means of making the trek to Hermy's. The Vrag temple is a bit unique.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

I saw a group of PA state troopers on HD's coming out of the Gold Mine Road area a few weeks ago. I guess They were training. I was in my cage for work and it was a perfect MC day. The lucky troopers. If I was no my bike, I would have waved, just to see if they would wave back, I would have waved any way, PA has some good troopers.
    Rebel

When I lived in PA I really enjoyed those areas of riding you mentioned. I very much enjoyed the run up 287 through Nelson/Cowanesque lake area to the PA Grand Canyon. Hope to be back up there next spring riding through the area again for a week or 2.
    kinterridge '78 R100S (mfg 7/77)

Quote Originally Posted by kinterridge View Post
    When I lived in PA I really enjoyed those areas of riding you mentioned. I very much enjoyed the run up 287 through Nelson/Cowanesque lake area to the PA Grand Canyon. Hope to be back up there next spring riding through the area again for a week or 2.
    I'm not sure of the reason, but most of the passing zones on PA287 have been eliminated. So, that can be a very slow ride these days.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

North up 74 to Spruce Hill Lunch and down the Juniata on 333

I ran up north today to Spruce Hill and had a nice lunch at the Spruce Hill Lunch, recently re-opened. I'd forgotten how nice Rout 74 is coming out or Carlisle. On the return I did 333, a really great ride in central PA. Between 74 and 333 I ran up around Academia, which has some nice views and a well preserved covered bridge, then 35 into Mifflintown. Nice fall day, all blue sky and the colors are starting to turn.
    bmw2003gs in Harrisburg