• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Marketplace fraud

FELAW

On the marketplace homepage:

"Please be aware that non-members can browse the Marketplace and use the Contact button in an ad to email a member. Internet fraud is always of a concern and we remind everyone to use every caution when sending or receiving funds."

Now you tell me. I always thought that only MOA members could post/reply to ads. Well I found out the hard way; sent the money by Western Union, the vendor is now incommunicado. The fraudster's name is suppose to be Michael Wrights, lives in Misissippi and uses the email name MichaelAA. I guess the only way to ensure a genuine vendor is to ask for the username and MOA number and then somehow get the club to verify the identity.

Fraud

Hope you are not out to much if someone asks for western union think scam it is easy to set up a PayPal account make them do it if they want paid.

I guess the only way to ensure a genuine vendor is to ask for the username and MOA number and then somehow get the club to verify the identity.

A lot of members use their MOA number as their user name so I would not use that as proof.

Ask the person to send you a PM. Only members can use this feature.

fraud

A lot of members use their MOA number as their user name so I would not use that as proof.

Ask the person to send you a PM. Only members can use this feature.

I don't know, I have a couple of old pm's from "guest(s)" (unless they changed the rules to block guest postings).

I don't know, I have a couple of old pm's from "guest(s)" (unless they changed the rules to block guest postings).

Expired Members, those who have not renewed their membership, are changed to "guest" status.
OM

Pay Pal

Hope you are not out to much if someone asks for western union think scam it is easy to set up a PayPal account make them do it if they want paid.

Never agree to Paypal as a gift though, you have no recourse. I see there is an Arai helmet on the market place asking for that as a payment, don't do it.

Never agree to Paypal as a gift though, you have no recourse. I see there is an Arai helmet on the market place asking for that as a payment, don't do it.

Very mild rant: Asking a buyer to say that a purchase is a gift is dishonest and intended to deprive Paypal of a potential fee. Some might call it fraud. All the seller has to do is to include any fee in the asking price. Regardless of "recourse" I would never recommend a person knowingly do a dishonest act. I would avoid the seller.

I think it used to only be visible to members. I actually joined to see it a few years ago because I was looking for a bike...

Marketplace should only be viewed by members only

So, can you describe the real difference between getting shafted by a member and getting screwed by a non-member? Does the BMW MOA become a consumer protection agency? A collection agency? Or what? Literally anybody with a credit card can join BMW MOA. They might own a bike. It might be a BMW. Or not! It might be some dude from Nigeria or North Korea. I am responsible for my own transactions whether as a buyer or a seller.

So, can you describe the real difference between getting shafted by a member and getting screwed by a non-member? Does the BMW MOA become a consumer protection agency? A collection agency? Or what? Literally anybody with a credit card can join BMW MOA. They might own a bike. It might be a BMW. Or not! It might be some dude from Nigeria or North Korea. I am responsible for my own transactions whether as a buyer or a seller.

Sure, you can still be defrauded by a member. Limiting to members narrows the potential of risk from "everybody" to the membership base.

So, can you describe the real difference between getting shafted by a member and getting screwed by a non-member?

It's sort of like the perceived security that you feel leaving your gear in your tent at a club only campsite versus leaving your gear on an open sidewalk. The odds of someone joining the MOA just to rip off one person is pretty low. Name, addresses, and join date are available for all club members. That is a deterent for any member originated scams.

It SHOULD be MEMBERS ONLY!!! There are plenty of other venues for non-member transactions. The added security of members only is a benefit that should be provided by the club, otherwise why bother to host a marketplace. If I didn't care about dealing with just club members, I could reach more people on Ebay, Craigslist, IBMWR, etc, etc, just as easily.

:dance:dance:dance

Back