• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lee Parks DeerSports PCi Gloves Review

moshe_levy

All-

As the weather turns cooler, it's time to put the mesh away and don something warmer. I've been testing these Lee Parks DeerSports PCi gloves for 2 fall seasons now. Tune in to see the verdict!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z-KNGSIm7Sw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-MKL

I talked to Lee at one of the motorcycle shows a few years ago...and told him about one problem with his gloves.

They never wear out.

Which means that I don’t have a good excuse to buy new gloves every couple of years. :dance

For a street rider nothing beats deer or elk skin. I have not yet bought any of Lee Parks gloves because every time I have been near any my current gloves were fine and did not need to be replaced. Maybe I ought to think ahead. :)

I have been riding with deer or elk skin gloves from Cabellos for at least 15 years - maybe four pairs. They last and last forever. They dry still pliable, and if you wet them in a rain and keep riding until they are dry they fit better than they did before.

Sure: they lack the plastic knucle guards and whiz bang techno stuff - but the abrasion characteristics of deer or elk skin is as good or better than plastic.

YMMV

Last edited:
I started using Deerskin gloves (and jackets) back when Thurlow of San Diego was still in business. If anything, Lee’s gloves are as comfortable, and perhaps better constructed, then the deerskins from Thurlow.

I got knocked off a Ducati back in ‘97 by a Subaru while doing about 50 in an HOV lane. The Thurlow jacket and gloves got abraded, but held up very well. One of the best purchases in my years of riding was the Deerskin gear.

Though I’ve hung up my riding spurs, I’d highly recommend Lee Park’s gear, it’s first rate!

PS. Anyone want a slightly used custom Thurlow jacket (44L)? It’s got a lot of sMiles on it, but seams still tight, the leather has some “patina”...lol. :)

I started using Deerskin gloves (and jackets) back when Thurlow of San Diego was still in business. If anything, Lee’s gloves are as comfortable, and perhaps better constructed, then the deerskins from Thurlow.

I got knocked off a Ducati back in ‘97 by a Subaru while doing about 50 in an HOV lane. The Thurlow jacket and gloves got abraded, but held up very well. One of the best purchases in my years of riding was the Deerskin gear.

Though I’ve hung up my riding spurs, I’d highly recommend Lee Park’s gear, it’s first rate!

PS. Anyone want a slightly used custom Thurlow jacket (44L)? It’s got a lot of sMiles on it, but seams still tight, the leather has some “patina”...lol. :)

picture?

For a street rider nothing beats deer or elk skin. I have not yet bought any of Lee Parks gloves because every time I have been near any my current gloves were fine and did not need to be replaced. Maybe I ought to think ahead. :)

I have been riding with deer or elk skin gloves from Cabellos for at least 15 years - maybe four pairs. They last and last forever. They dry still pliable, and if you wet them in a rain and keep riding until they are dry they fit better than they did before.

Sure: they lack the plastic knucle guards and whiz bang techno stuff - but the abrasion characteristics of deer or elk skin is as good or better than plastic.

YMMV

At nearly $100 less in price than the Lee Parks, the Cabela's gloves look like a very good choice. No doubt the Lee parks gloves are a better looking design and offer gauntlets, but that is a very big savings.

Aerostich makes a very nice elkskin gauntlet glove also cheaper, I use them when it's cold out to keep wind out of sleeves most of the time I use a pair of leather gloves I got at Alco before they went out of business heavy leather double layer over palms do a few coats of mink oil as comfortable as the elkskin gloves from aerostich I purchased a xl and a xxl pair wish I had purchased all they had left at $7.50/ pair

Last edited:

YMMV

Lee has a nice testimonial on his site from a rider who was injured by shards when the knuckle guard fragged in an accident. I have both the standard and the PCI models and like them greatly. I waited quite a while for my Held Steve's to wear out before making the Deersports my daily gear.

At nearly $100 less in price than the Lee Parks, the Cabela's gloves look like a very good choice. No doubt the Lee parks gloves are a better looking design and offer gauntlets, but that is a very big savings.

For 90% of my riding I do not want gauntlet gloves covering my sleeves because I want some airflow into the sleeves. I do have cool weather gloves (BMW brand water resistant) with gauntlets that I switch to in colder weather.

I, and later my wife, both had Thurlow tailor our jackets back when. I wore mine for the life of my 1978 R100/7, about 15 years before I 'grew' out of it.
Gave it to my skinny son who wears it as a fashion statement out in NYC...
But I found another one that fits me, identical to my original. It's a beaut!

Anyhow, I've looked at Lee Parks every time I go to the Long Beach Motorcycle show, just never seem to bite the bullet.
This year, I'm getting a pair for sure.

I, and later my wife, both had Thurlow tailor our jackets back when. I wore mine for the life of my 1978 R100/7, about 15 years before I 'grew' out of it.
Gave it to my skinny son who wears it as a fashion statement out in NYC...
But I found another one that fits me, identical to my original. It's a beaut!

Anyhow, I've looked at Lee Parks every time I go to the Long Beach Motorcycle show, just never seem to bite the bullet.
This year, I'm getting a pair for sure.

In my top ten of motorcycle related products....

Thurlow jackets
Lee Park’s gloves
RD barbacks

:thumb

Take care!

I tried a pair. They were very nice gloves. Proof is that I would always take them inside at stops, where my helmet would stay outside on the bike (w/ a concealed hook/latch).

I think they should have lasted 1/3 longer than they did. Had they been priced 1/3 less than I paid for them I definitely would be using them.

Thurlow gloves (and jackets priced at swap meet prices) were my standard of gear. What a disappointment that they disappeared. Good things never last.

Now I make my own deerskin gloves or add gauntlets to good deerskin or elkskin gloves.

Charlie

I think they should have lasted 1/3 longer than they did.

My favorite summer gloves, BMW Rallye gloves with no gauntlet and with "GS" on them, gave it up on the trip to the Salt Lake City rally. I probably got four years out of them, which is pretty good, I thought. I just replaced them - and the instructions that came with the gloves recommended washing gloves with "leather detergent." Hmmm, I've never done that, a likely reason my gloves don't last as long as I'd like. I had never heard of "leather detergent." So I got some leather detergent here: https://www.preservation-solutions.com/product/leather-detergent/ I'll try this stuff out on my Held gauntlet gloves and some work gloves.

Harry

There is a large thread over on ADVRider about Lee Parks gloves and I have tried them myself. Tried being the operative word. The gloves are very nice, BUT, only if you buy them at a show/event and get fitted by Lee Parks himself. Otherwise trying these gloves through mail order is an exercise in fitment futility. Even printing out and using their own sizing tool does not help. I've ordered multiple pair of the same size glove and the sizing is all over the map. There is simply no consistency into how they make a glove. Not denying the quality of the glove materials but for the price, the fitment quality needs to improve greatly.

There is a large thread over on ADVRider about Lee Parks gloves and I have tried them myself. Tried being the operative word. The gloves are very nice, BUT, only if you buy them at a show/event and get fitted by Lee Parks himself. Otherwise trying these gloves through mail order is an exercise in fitment futility. Even printing out and using their own sizing tool does not help. I've ordered multiple pair of the same size glove and the sizing is all over the map. There is simply no consistency into how they make a glove. Not denying the quality of the glove materials but for the price, the fitment quality needs to improve greatly.

I’ve got several pairs of Lee Parks gloves, if you purchase the same model size is spot on, but different models can be all over the place. I always buy mine at the Long Beach show, never online

I'm on my 3rd pair - with the outie seams..

I wear them out in a season. Holes start forming where the heal of my hand is. A season for me is usually around 15,000 miles.

Fit is all over the map. I always get the same size and model - and as stated - best to buy them at a show. They're hand made items, and the sizing isn't dead on. At a show you can try a left from one set and a right from another until you get two that actually fit.

That said - I wear them year round (I put on bar-muffs for winter riding), rarely switching to my alternate glove (BMW-AllRound) - usually only because it's raining heavily.

And I still keep buying them - they're that good.

Back