Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1984 R65 Turn signal switch and horn not working

Yes, the front brake switch is supposed to operate the brake light. Also, there is a power connection between the front brake switch and the horn. So, as long as the horn ground is good, you must not be getting any power to the horn. You can certainly check that with a voltmeter. With ignition on and engine not started, I believe there should be 12v on one side of the horn terminals. Touch your negative lead on the voltmeter to ground and then probe the terminals on the horn. One of the terminals should be 12v. The horn works when you push the horn button...you complete the path to ground.

I'd see if you can clear up those two things and then see where you are.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Verfiied that 12-ish volts is on one side of the horn. I did not chesk the other side of the horn. When I press the horn button, the fuse light shines very bright.

Also I need to figure out where the wire is for the front brake... Found it, and the wires were not connected. So I connected them, and now the brake light works when the lever is pressed, however, still no trun signals and no horn...

Remove the horn and apply 12v across the terminals from a standalone battery. Ensure that the horn even works.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Back to basics.

Ok. So let's start with where the power is coming from and where it goes.
    You say that you don't know if the horn really works or not. Here is how to test it. There should be two wires going to the horn. Use the test light to see if you have power to the horn by turning on the ignition and testing each wire with your test light. I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me but if it is like a /5 then you have a green/black wire and a black wire. It doesn't matter because we're just testing to see if you have power to the horn. If neither wire lights up the test light then you do not have power to the horn! If one wire lights up then connect it to the horn and ground the other connector on the horn. There may be a slight buzz holding the horn or the horn may sound off. This will tell you if the horn works or would work if adjusted correctly. You're closing a circuit. If you use the test light instead of the horn in the circuit and press the horn button then if the light comes on you have a bad horn. Same thing with the front brake light switch. If you have power to the switch then wire in the test light on the other terminal and go to ground with it. Apply the front brake. No light means a bad switch. If you don't have power to the switch then trace back to see where the open circuit is.
    If you have a relay that just buzzes then it could be weak/bad or there isn't enough voltage static, to make the relay work. Sometimes with a low battery and a weak relay, there isn't enough voltage to make the relay perform.
    Boxerbruce

Unfortunately, I'm away from home this weekend, so I can't work on the bike. I put my voltmeter on the horn, and verified that there was 12.2V on the one side. I was going to try to make the horn work by powering it separately, I think the horn will work. I thought it was odd that there was a very large current draw when I pressed the horn switch. The light that I have jumping the fuse was really bright. So I'm beginning to think there is a short somewhere in the left handlebar. I'll get back to it on Sunday night.

I'm also curious about the buzzing of the flasher relay. There seems to be plenty of life in the battery, so maybe I have a bad flasher...

Thanks for your advice.

Heartbeat of my R100GS Guenther's Avatar
    With the light bulb in place of the fuse you lowered the voltage to the flasher and the horn. This could be the reason why they now don't work.

Buy a pack of 8A fuses and retry with a fuse in place.

/Guenther

Apparently Problem Solved

So many thanks to all of you that helped me with this. The final resolution is that the open switch for the front brake light caused the problem. I'm not sure why. The horn works, and everything else seems to be working normally. I went out for several hours today and had no issues.

Great! Here's to that solving the problem. Something for others to think about in the future.

Heartbeat of my R100GS Guenther's Avatar
    So what did you do with the wire to the front brake light switch to fix this?

Or, do you avoid using the handlebar brake lever from now on?

/Guenther

It was not missing, just disconnected. My guess is that when I was riding it home I must have jostled it and disconnected it, or maybe the vibrations caused it. But when I was testing the brake lights with the light bulb, I couldn't get the brake light to come on when I pressed the front brake. Then I found the open connector and reconnected it. It seems a bit flimsy, should it be wrapped in shrink wrap or something? It's pretty exposed.