Thread: 1984 R65 Turn signal switch and horn not working

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1984 R65 Turn signal switch and horn not working

Hi,
    I'm new to the MOA, and new to BMW. I just bought an '84 R65, and on my first long ride, the turn signals and horn stopped working about midway into a 4 hour ride (luckily I remembered my hand signals). So, my research is pretty limited on the possible causes. Since both the horn and the switch is not working, I thought there might be a ground problem. I'd be interested in anyone's opinion on the matter. Everything else works, high beams, headlight, starter, etc.

Thanks, I tried searching, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Welcome to the forum! Other than the lights/horn, how's the bike?? I'd check the fuse...it seems that the horn and turn signals get power from the same fuse. The ground points will likely be different for these, so I'm not thinking ground is the issue. Not sure where the fuses are...on some of the earlier bikes, it's in the headlight shell. Could be on the '84, the fuses are relocated somewhere, maybe under the seat or battery side panels? Hopefully someone will have a better location for the fuses.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

The bike is really fun... Just one more note, it appears that the brake light is also not working. Maybe it is all the same fuse.

I think so...the brake light power seems to be closely connected to power for the horn. I would be looking at fuses.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Fuses

On your R65 the fuses (two of them) are in a little black box at the rear of the frame back bone, on the bottom. There is a thumb screw on the cover that holds it on. Occasionally there will be a bit of corrosion build up on the fuse and fuse mount so if the fuse looks good, you might want to scuff of any corosion that might be present.
    Boxerbruce

Thanks for the help... looks like you guys nailed it.
    IMG_2506.jpg