• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thoughts on Lowering '16 RTW Please

littlebriar

I've decided I need to lower my bike. I recently got a Russell Day Long which has caused me to be on my tiptoes when both feet are on the ground. I'm OK at a light when I lean the bike over and put down my left foot. I have a 29" inseam. The seat is incredible and I don't want to give up that comfort. I'm finishing an 8,000 mile trip across US and have never had issues with my butt or back. No need to ever stop between tanks of fuel. Unfortunately, I have dropped the bike twice on the right side. Both were unusual circumstances but I believe they could have been avoided if my right foot was more firmly on the ground. Russell will modify the front of the seat to lower seat height but at a potential loss in comfort. Before the RDL, I had a low seat on the high bracket position. I know I can also look into elevated shoes.
I would like to retain ESA functionality. My research shows Works or Beemershop is the way to go.
Will anyone with first hand experience doing this share their results/thoughts?

I just had Beemer Shop set me up with TracTive ESA 25mm lower shocks. Ted spoke highly of then as they are the supplier for
BMW. I only have a few miles on them but ride is great and I can reach the ground with a Russell saddle!!
I had to send in my rear shock to have the ESA motor switched . I don't think there is a better set up avaliable.
Yes it is costly but so are tip overs. Give Ted a call and tell him your needs and see if he can help.
By the way I have a 27" inseam so I also added 3/4" to my boots too.

Second for getting lowered shocks. On many motorcycles, you can get a lowering link for the rear, and lower the front forks in the triple clamps. Not so on the paralever/telelever BMWs. You can get a better ride and lower your motorcycle at the same time. Beemer Shop treated me very well, too. though, there are other good options. They have several lines of shocks, and can set you up nicely.

I just spoke with Jeff at Beemer Shop. They have a Tractive system which will lower the bike 25mm. The price is $1990 complete. Includes plug and play front shock and rear which uses some of your stock components. You send in your rear shock and he takes what he needs off of it. Turnaround at the shop is 1-2 days plus shipping there and back.
He mentioned that BMW licenses the Tractive design. There are some additional features the Tractive system has such as some sort of dynamic bump stock to prevent hard bottom out. You provide some personal info such as your weight, minimum weight of luggage, maximum luggage weight and info regarding weight of pillion and frequency they ride.
Additional expense would be shorter side stand and center stand. I think I can get by with the stock center stand as I can get the bike up on a 2x4 by myself. Would be curious what others experience has been with stands when they made this modification. Were you able to use the stock center stand? Did you modify the side stand or buy one?

I just spoke with Jeff at Beemer Shop. They have a Tractive system which will lower the bike 25mm. The price is $1990 complete. Includes plug and play front shock and rear which uses some of your stock components. You send in your rear shock and he takes what he needs off of it. Turnaround at the shop is 1-2 days plus shipping there and back.
He mentioned that BMW licenses the Tractive design. There are some additional features the Tractive system has such as some sort of dynamic bump stock to prevent hard bottom out. You provide some personal info such as your weight, minimum weight of luggage, maximum luggage weight and info regarding weight of pillion and frequency they ride.
Additional expense would be shorter side stand and center stand. I think I can get by with the stock center stand as I can get the bike up on a 2x4 by myself. Would be curious what others experience has been with stands when they made this modification. Were you able to use the stock center stand? Did you modify the side stand or buy one?

I just had a quick 200 mile ride yesterday on the Tractive shocks. Very nice ride and no bottoming out. The front shock is much beefier that the stock one and just fits. Rerouting the wires takes some time, it sure is a tightly packed area. Now I can reach the ground
with my feet at a stop. I do have 3/4" extra soles on my boots but with a 27" inseam I need all the length I can get.
I bought the lower side and center stand and am happy with how easy I can get the bike up on the center stand.
Installing the center stand is a little tricky but I've done it 4 times now on RT's and it does get easier with practice.
I might be selling a set as I bought new ones for my 2013 RT then switched shocks on my 2005 RT back to stock so
I have a set of lows in stock along with a lot of other parts that just seem to accumulate over time.
In your case do the side stand for sure and see how well you can get bike up on center stand. If you have loaded side bags
it can be harder to raise.

In your case do the side stand for sure and see how well you can get bike up on center stand. If you have loaded side bags
it can be harder to raise.
Is that lowered side stand an OEM part or aftermarket? I assume the OEM is for the factory lowered bike? Are there cheaper aftermarket versions available for RTW's?

My lowered side stand is a factory part however there is no factory lowered wet head bike and I'm not
sure if the earlier RT's stand would fit. I just checked and stands are very different. You could always have your stock stand shorted by a good welder.
No aftermarket stands for RT's that I am aware of.
Being short is always a challenge!!

Back