• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Preferred tire demount/mount bar

jagarra

Gerard
I am continuing to make improvements on my harbor freight changer and am considering purchasing a good demount bar. Which one between the No Mar and MoJO unit seems to work the best. They both are about the same price.

A while back there was a lot of discussion on tire changing on this forum - link follows. Seems whomever was hosting my photos has gone away.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?23264-Changing-Tires-(modified-HF-tire-changer)

I have both the mojo tire lever and the no-mar tire lever. The mojo lever is useful for demounting a tire; I have never been able to use the lever to mount a tire.
https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm

The No-mar lever has been used for both demounting and mounting a tire. I find that I still resort to some long tire irons to help the last bit of tire get over the rim.
http://www.nomartirechanger.com/Mou...MIi7qWqOLK1gIVBEOGCh3XBw2DEAQYASABEgLRhfD_BwE

If I was just getting one, it would be the No-mar lever. I still prefer Ru-glyde over the lubricant stuff that no-mar sells to mount/demount tires.

I have the Mojo bar and it's always been hard to use for mounting. Dismount - works well. Maybe if I used it a lot, I'd have a better technique/luck, but most times the second bead slips over / above where the 'handle' is welded to the bar and I have to begin again, or just resort to levering the tire on. The first bead is usually not a problem - many time I just push it in place once an opposite side of the bead is positioned in the valley. When installing the second bead is when the fun begins and the bead slips out of place when sliding the bar around the rim.

I've used the No-Mar 'Yellow thing' bead holder to try to get the opposite bead into the valley of the rim, with limited success. I wonder if the 'handle' needs to have a bit of metal welded to it, to raise the 'handle' higher so that the bead doesn't slip over. Also, maybe if the 'arm' of the Harbor Freight motorcycle changer was not in place I'd have more success. It becomes pretty difficult when installing a tire with a stiff sidewall. Watch the videos of the Mojo bar in use - they seam to be able to make it work, so much of my issue may be technique. Good Luck.

I have the NoMar bar. Excellent for dismounting, not worth the effort for mounting. Easier in my opinion to use heat, lubrication, Yellowthing and a pry bar.

Back