• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2017 1200 rt lc road noise

saslade

New to this forum. Just upgraded to a 2017 1200 rt and have noticed a lot of road noise come up from the fork area. It loud and seems to be setting up a resonant frequency is the fairing. Suspect the front tire is causing the problem. any suggestions on a cure for this problem?

New to this forum. Just upgraded to a 2017 1200 rt and have noticed a lot of road noise come up from the fork area. It loud and seems to be setting up a resonant frequency is the fairing. Suspect the front tire is causing the problem. any suggestions on a cure for this problem?

ear plugs?

My '16 was annoyingly loud and harsh at first - a real wail from the engine (not the exhaust) on acceleration as well as some tire noise. I almost longed for my quiet camhead RT. By 2k or so miles the '16 engine and tires quieted way down and got really smooth, smoother than my camhead. Put on some miles and let us know again.

Welcome to the forum!
I can't help you with the noise. I can apologize for the unhelpful answers :banghead
Hang in, someone with some experience with the new machines is bound to chime in. This section has had a lot of activity.
This section may interest you- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70623-Wetheads-Accessories-Mods-and-DIY-s
Gary

Yes, this is a common complaint on other boards. The front tire under certain road conditions will make a ton of noise which is heard through the opening of the front forks and appear to reflect off of the front windscreen onto the rider. The stock A3 tires and the Pilot Road 4's are noisy (I've tried both). The Dunlop Trail Smart, which I'm currently running, is MUCH quieter. It seems to be an excellent overall tire and with the noise reduction will mostly likely be the tire of choice.

Yes, this is a common complaint on other boards. The front tire under certain road conditions will make a ton of noise which is heard through the opening of the front forks and appear to reflect off of the front windscreen onto the rider. The stock A3 tires and the Pilot Road 4's are noisy (I've tried both). The Dunlop Trail Smart, which I'm currently running, is MUCH quieter. It seems to be an excellent overall tire and with the noise reduction will mostly likely be the tire of choice.

I'll try the Dunlops when it is time to change tires. Thanks for the info

My '16 RT came with the Metzler Z8's. The front was noisy. I recently put on Metzler Roadtec 01's. They started to growl at about 1500 miles, then settled down but are making noise again at about 5000 miles. They only make noise when turning. Doesn't take a lot of lateral load to get them to growl. Don't hear them with my earplugs so I'm not concerned too much about it.

My '16 RT came with the Metzler Z8's. The front was noisy. I recently put on Metzler Roadtec 01's. They started to growl at about 1500 miles, then settled down but are making noise again at about 5000 miles. They only make noise when turning. Doesn't take a lot of lateral load to get them to growl. Don't hear them with my earplugs so I'm not concerned too much about it.

My bike came with Metzeler Z8 tires, and after wearing them out I went with Roadtec 01s as well. I noticed just last week how loud the Roadtecs are (they have about 1000 mi on them). I never noticed the noise with the Z8s.

I have a '15 and a '17 R1200RTW. I have never noticed a problem with the noise as you describe. I hope one of the other answers above solves your problem.

17-and-15-400.jpg

There are a lot of factors involved in road noise , the type of surface you are riding
on , your tires , and the angle of your windshield will all contribute to road noise. There is no way to completely eliminate it , it's just something you have to live with unless you want to wear a full face helmet and ear plugs.

There are a lot of factors involved in road noise , the type of surface you are riding
on , your tires , and the angle of your windshield will all contribute to road noise. There is no way to completely eliminate it , it's just something you have to live with unless you want to wear a full face helmet and ear plugs.

Of course I wear a full face helmet and ear plugs going down the highway at speed. Which is one reason I can still pass a hearing test without the aid of electronic devices.

See post #2

I have a 2016 RTW fitted with PR3's and have no road noise issues from the front. It has 9,000km on the clock. Turbulence noise around my helmet has been fixed with a Puig touring screen.

Back