Thread: 2017 1200 rt lc road noise

2017 1200 rt lc road noise

New to this forum. Just upgraded to a 2017 1200 rt and have noticed a lot of road noise come up from the fork area. It loud and seems to be setting up a resonant frequency is the fairing. Suspect the front tire is causing the problem. any suggestions on a cure for this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by saslade View Post
    New to this forum. Just upgraded to a 2017 1200 rt and have noticed a lot of road noise come up from the fork area. It loud and seems to be setting up a resonant frequency is the fairing. Suspect the front tire is causing the problem. any suggestions on a cure for this problem?
    ear plugs?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

DigtlArtst
    My '16 was annoyingly loud and harsh at first - a real wail from the engine (not the exhaust) on acceleration as well as some tire noise. I almost longed for my quiet camhead RT. By 2k or so miles the '16 engine and tires quieted way down and got really smooth, smoother than my camhead. Put on some miles and let us know again.

Buy a Harley then switch to the LC RT like i did you will never notice any noise at all :-)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    I can't help you with the noise. I can apologize for the unhelpful answers
    Hang in, someone with some experience with the new machines is bound to chime in. This section has had a lot of activity.
    This section may interest you- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Mods-and-DIY-s
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Yes, this is a common complaint on other boards. The front tire under certain road conditions will make a ton of noise which is heard through the opening of the front forks and appear to reflect off of the front windscreen onto the rider. The stock A3 tires and the Pilot Road 4's are noisy (I've tried both). The Dunlop Trail Smart, which I'm currently running, is MUCH quieter. It seems to be an excellent overall tire and with the noise reduction will mostly likely be the tire of choice.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
    (Who watches the watchers)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodadd View Post
    Yes, this is a common complaint on other boards. The front tire under certain road conditions will make a ton of noise which is heard through the opening of the front forks and appear to reflect off of the front windscreen onto the rider. The stock A3 tires and the Pilot Road 4's are noisy (I've tried both). The Dunlop Trail Smart, which I'm currently running, is MUCH quieter. It seems to be an excellent overall tire and with the noise reduction will mostly likely be the tire of choice.
    I'll try the Dunlops when it is time to change tires. Thanks for the info

My '16 RT came with the Metzler Z8's. The front was noisy. I recently put on Metzler Roadtec 01's. They started to growl at about 1500 miles, then settled down but are making noise again at about 5000 miles. They only make noise when turning. Doesn't take a lot of lateral load to get them to growl. Don't hear them with my earplugs so I'm not concerned too much about it.
    Steve
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic

Quote Originally Posted by reg26 View Post
    Buy a Harley then switch to the LC RT like i did you will never notice any noise at all :-)
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebriar View Post
    My '16 RT came with the Metzler Z8's. The front was noisy. I recently put on Metzler Roadtec 01's. They started to growl at about 1500 miles, then settled down but are making noise again at about 5000 miles. They only make noise when turning. Doesn't take a lot of lateral load to get them to growl. Don't hear them with my earplugs so I'm not concerned too much about it.

My bike came with Metzeler Z8 tires, and after wearing them out I went with Roadtec 01s as well. I noticed just last week how loud the Roadtecs are (they have about 1000 mi on them). I never noticed the noise with the Z8s.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

I have a '15 and a '17 R1200RTW. I have never noticed a problem with the noise as you describe. I hope one of the other answers above solves your problem.

Jeff Dean − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    '17 R1200RT, '15 R1200RT, '67 R60/2, '69 R60US, '55 R67/3, '49 R24

Conti Road Attack 3 GTs; no noise at all.

Angle GT spec A

Low noise in certain cornering situations only, at 6,500 miles now.

There are a lot of factors involved in road noise , the type of surface you are riding
    on , your tires , and the angle of your windshield will all contribute to road noise. There is no way to completely eliminate it , it's just something you have to live with unless you want to wear a full face helmet and ear plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaines View Post
    There are a lot of factors involved in road noise , the type of surface you are riding
    on , your tires , and the angle of your windshield will all contribute to road noise. There is no way to completely eliminate it , it's just something you have to live with unless you want to wear a full face helmet and ear plugs.
    Of course I wear a full face helmet and ear plugs going down the highway at speed. Which is one reason I can still pass a hearing test without the aid of electronic devices.

See post #2
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/