• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How I Got Here- The Vintage Section

72r60/7

Several several years ago I stood in the NZ West Coast rain and listened to a riderless pre ‘70 Twin idling as sweet as an engine could possibly idle. I had never heard a Twin BMW idle as smooth as that one did. Was it because the flywheels were heavier than the post ‘69’s that I had been familiar with ? Or was it that the bike belonged to someone else and I was not personally involved as an owner ? I deduced it was just the sweetest thing I had ever heard idling. It also may have been that the bike was all by itself and the owner was not present for quite a few minutes. Well, these models were just a pipe dream for me, though I always wanted one more Twin before "The End". Near the top of the list of bikes is an R80 ST. Maybe that's a possibility since I never thought a pre '70 model was in the cards for me either. Stranger things have happened, just not to me.

Fast forward to a few years ago to an Open House at a BMW Dealers parking lot. I saw a few /2’s as I called them, as I didn't know that all 1955’s to1969’s were not all /2’s. I called to an older friend to walk with me over to listen to these older bikes leave. When we got near and stopped to watch and listen, my friend, who I only see once or twice a year at motorcycle events (but for 30 years), said “I have one of those”. My hand shot straight up in the air as I have done many times. It was a practiced reflex, as I wanted secure the next place in the buyers line. “How many in the line to buy your bike if you ever sell.” His reply was “ I won't be selling it as I have decided to will it to a friend “ Fair enough as I've often thought the same thing for my bikes. “Well, if you ever want to sell, give me a call,” Not one time in my life has that ever gotten any bike I've ever pined for. Not one.

Fast forward another year to a telephone call where a familiar voice says "Do you want to buy my motorcycle?" Before he finished I had said yes and had to say it again to make myself clear. "Oh, I cant believe this is happening. ", I thought to myself. He said "I haven't even told you how much I'm asking". Well, he tells me the details and the price, and I still can't believe I'm buying another Twin. I'm rapidly becoming "Tickled Pink"

Well, I bought the bike. It was a 1957 R60, Original Patina, Very good condition, 47,000 mi, it came with Enduro Bags and a box with a Wixom Handlebar Fairing, Wixom Top Box, Bread Loaf Pillion Pad, lots of spare parts, 2 plus Shop Manuals, a list of all the owners, Slingers done, Tank Creamed. Lots of maintenance records too ! I can only guess that he asked 35% to 40% of what it was really worth because he must have been looking for passion and a good home for his bike. And of course I can give it all that during my tenure.

Oh, and the reason he sold it was that his friend had come over after the last National Election and gotten drunk, insulted him and his wife.

The bikes owner said " I'm not leaving a damn thing to him."

6 months later as I get ready to prep the bike for its 5th owner (me), the Pink hasn't come off completely. Great way to end a good season this year.

Charlie

p.s. To the very helpful person at Petosky this summer at the Vintage Display. As soon as the snakes are gone from the shed, I will resume looking for that Earles front end.

Last edited:
Congratulations. Interesting story. Reading your post I can pick up on how enthusiastic and happy you are about your R60. I think you will always have a bit of "pink" for this motorcycle. Any pictures to follow?

Yeah, pictures would be great! You may have paid a good sum for it, but from the sounds of things, you got a bike that was in great maintenance shape. In some cases it's better to pay that up front so that you can just ride and enjoy rather than have to dive into the restoration before you can throw a leg over. In the end, the money is probably about the same. There will be plenty of time for "bonding" mechanically with maintenance down the road. I hope the bike isn't "pink"! :stick

Congratulations!!!.....This is what holds 'THE BROTHERHOOD" together. Be sure to check out the Vintage bunch. Isn't that long road of life a tremendous ride......God bless...Dennis

Only have a "Snapshot" photo for now.
Don't really intend on restoration as a weekly rider will be just fine for the beginning while becoming aquatinted with the bike. Will want to "personalize"a little without adulterating. Mainly just want to ride.
Garage Queens have never had as much personality to me as the total operating package the chief designer intended. Rolling, running and rider onboard.

Charlie

View attachment 64320

Looks to be in nice shape. Small taillight, not the coffee can that came later. The solo seat seems to be sagging a bit...the nose of the seat sticks up some.

Fun ride!!

Yes that's a 1970 CT (Trail) 90 in the photo. Ride it almost every day. Down to the Mailbox and around country roads near here. Even haul it into town and run errands and ride the old neighborhoods. Great fun !

That seat on the R 60 is the hardest thing I've ever sat on on a motorcycle. Bout equal to an early stock V-Rod I sat on one time. The front does stick up and is hard as well as the rear seems hard. I've only ever sat on another '55-'69 solo seat and it was not like this one at all. I've read and been told to do everything from recover (May be successful and resemble a cartoon after its all over) to just buy a new seat and frame.

I did buy some short bars and will do cables etc too. Bike looks better with those (as designed ?) as the Western bars are an American addition maybe. Most photos of original US style bars make the rider look a little too bolt upright and hands too low to me. I really don't know, but time will tell what works best. (For me anyway).

I'm learning.

I also bought a folding rear rack. Looks versatile.

Anyone got photos of a bread loaf passenger seat mounted on top of the existing rack instead of removing the rack first ?

Yes this bike is going to be FUN. Always said that when it (anything) stops being fun, stop doing it.

Charlie

Thanks 20774 (Kurt ?)

Looking at the photo section of Vintage bikes in this section of the forum, I saw a peep (zooming) of mounts. Oh boy there are some nice bikes there. I certainly can fashion something but ..................
Going to your suggested site next.

Charlie

Back