• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

making k75 clutch lever easier to pull

D

DG123

i am desperate. the clutch lever on my 94 k75 is extremely difficult to pull back in day-to-day in-town traffic. after a short while my hand hurts. a lot. i don't think i did anything to injure it. the lever is too far from the handlebar grip and has too much pulling resistance. unfortunately, unlike the new bikes, there is no mechanism for changing the levers position to be closer to my hand. can anyone help? thanks.

Have you lubed all the appropriate points? Clutch lever at the little drum at the end of the cable? At the pivot point on the back of the clutch?

If the little drum at the lever gets dried out, you'll be bending the cable at that point every time you pull the lever in, which can add quite a bit of resistance and effort.

KBasa said:
If the little drum at the lever gets dried out, you'll be bending the cable at that point every time you pull the lever in, which can add quite a bit of resistance and effort.
In addition to increasing operating effort, the flexing will also cause the clutch cable to break.

I'm not sure about a '94, but on my '87, the clutch also retracts the sidestand. I'm thinking any misadjustment in this linkage might also cause you to have to exert extra effort.

I'd start with a "by the book" clutch adustment, making sure all the lengths (pushrod, lever free play) are up to snuff. Adjust the sidestand linkage next. After everything is proper and you still have to work too hard, you might have to get inside and lube the splines the at the clutch (not rear drive).

Do you have small hands? This is not a slight, but if you do, you might be using just your fingers and not your hand and that could get tiring after a while.

Good Luck,
Eric

davidgoin said:
i am desperate. the clutch lever on my 94 k75 is extremely difficult to pull back in day-to-day in-town traffic. after a short while my hand hurts. a lot. i don't think i did anything to injure it. the lever is too far from the handlebar grip and has too much pulling resistance. unfortunately, unlike the new bikes, there is no mechanism for changing the levers position to be closer to my hand. can anyone help? thanks.

If the existing clutch cable has ever been lubricated (the cable itself, not the barrel ends) It could be breaking down inside. This will create a much heavier lever pull since the cable is actually cutting through the inner teflon (or nylon) lining. You should never lubricate the cables on a BMW.

Might I suggest:
CoCNewpack-f.JPG

Steve :bolt

If you have ridden other street bikes and find the K75 clutch pull much harder than other bikes, something is mechanically wrong with your K. Could be a worn-out or pinched cable, could be a worn clutch lever pivot bushing, but I'm guesing that you are pulling against the side-stand retraction linkage.

I think I read over on the IBMWR list some time ago that K75 clutch levers are a little "heavier" than most. I know mine is, especially in comparison to the R1150R clutch lever.

Sgborgstrom was being cute but he's got a good point. Weak hand and forearm muscles will tire quickly.

Mar said:
K75 clutch levers are a little "heavier" than most. I know mine is, especially in comparison to the R1150R clutch lever.

Ever try a Buell ? For me, they are basically un-ridable.

If I knew where Davidgoin lives (I presume somewhere in NM), I might volunteer to ride one of Harriet's K75's there, bringing with me a new cable (just in case) along with some grease for the pivots and a manual so he can read up on clutch adjustment (if, in fact, that is the problem). But since I don't know, I can't volunteer unless he lets me know!

When mine gets heavy, a little lube on the kickstand joint works wonders. Start there, it's a 60 second fix. I've never had to go beyond a quick short squirt with Slick 50...

K75 clutch lever force

On my '94 K75S I rebuilt the sidestand, especially the bolt that holds it on. I used Mercury marine grease and the operation is much smoother. There is a Zerk fitting on the sidestand bushing on my bike for easy greasing.
Also, be sure to use a bit of teflon (Tri-flon) lube from time to time on the barrel fitting at the lever end of the cable. This will help keep the cable from breaking at the lever end. Also, carefully follow the instructions for adjusting the cable length. I never use the clutch lever to raise the sidestand.

clutch lever fixed

thanks to all for your suggestions. i compiled them and proceded to lubricate, adjust, and replace (cable.) it is now as it should be; easy to pull and a joy to use. again, thanks. :dance

Mar said:
I think I read over on the IBMWR list some time ago that K75 clutch levers are a little "heavier" than most. I know mine is, especially in comparison to the R1150R clutch lever.

My K75s clutch levers are a bit heavier than the K12RS, but that's the difference between a mechanical and hydraulic clutch design. If a K75 is hard to pull there's a problem with the cable and/or clutch retraction system. I'd pull the cable and check it. Excellent chance its bad.

Back