Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2017 RT vs. 2015/16 RT

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    The shift assist works even better in dynamic mode...... I didnít want to get it at first either but now that I do Iím glad to have it. It really works well for me but as alway YMMV....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    That being said I don't use it 1st to 2nd but from 3rd gear one it works seamlessly!
    I get it, the difference, for sure. Even so I don't think everyone knows just how good you can get at fast clutchless shifting in RTLC without SAP, at least between 4-5, and 5-6. I haven't played much w/ 3-4th gear as it's definitely more challenging to get perfect. I've mastered it on the upper gear changes and it is a case of a perfectly timed quick partial roll-off, followed by a quick roll-on that is only slightly faster than where rpms were before I shifted. It's unconscious for me now to do it perfectly so that there is really hardly a perception of the shift, I'm sure quite comparable to a SAP shift, which as I say gets refined and affords fast upshifts. In fact if I think about it consciously I can mess up the smoothness piece. Not good for downshifts, however.

Ed, given what you know now, would you shell out $700 to retrofit SAP if your RTLC didn't already have it? I'm not seeing the value in it for that kind of charge. But yes, still would do it at $500 new just for the gimmick value of it, at least I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    I get it, the difference, for sure. Even so I don't think everyone knows just how good you can get at fast clutchless shifting in RTLC without SAP, at least between 4-5, and 5-6. I haven't played much w/ 3-4th gear as it's definitely more challenging to get perfect. I've mastered it on the upper gear changes and it is a case of a perfectly timed quick partial roll-off, followed by a quick roll-on that is only slightly faster than where rpms were before I shifted. It's unconscious for me now to do it perfectly so that there is really hardly a perception of the shift, I'm sure quite comparable to a SAP shift, which as I say gets refined and affords fast upshifts. In fact if I think about it consciously I can mess up the smoothness piece. Not good for downshifts, however.

Ed, given what you know now, would you shell out $700 to retrofit SAP if your RTLC didn't already have it? I'm not seeing the value in it for that kind of charge. But yes, still would do it at $500 new just for the gimmick value of it, at least I think so.
    Funny you should ask ... when I got back from my 21 day trip to Salt Lake this summer I had really enjoyed both the cruise control and SAP on my 2016 RTW and was considering swapping my 2012 GSA for a GSLC. There was a really nice 2015 for sale on advrider that had EVERYTHING I wanted but no SAP so I assumed I would just pass on it. But was at my dealer getting a warranty item taken care of and asked about retrofitting the SAP and was pretty surprised it was only about $675 for the part and less than 2 hours labor to install. I did not end up getting that GSLC but it was such a great deal and price that had I bought it I would have gotten the SAP installed. It the total cost for part & labor was > $1000 I would not but for about $800 all in I think I would. The only 2 items I really prefer NOT to have are keyless start and central locking. For me those are just not needed. But like many other items most bikes coming over have keyless. For now I will continue to enjoy my 2012 GSA until another really sweet deal comes along.
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Well I ordered my RT w/o the audio package, chrome muffler, keyless, central locking and SAP. No doubt I'd be using it if I did the retrofit, but it's just not worth it for me. I'd probably do Clearwaters before that, and I can't even justify that cost for what it practically offers in my situation. If something happens to my RT and I end up replacing it I would be sure to include SAP then.