Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What year K1300GT to look for ???

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    K13S - SPORT touring bike
    K13GT - sport TOURING bike
    K16 - touring barcalounger

K13S in the twisties or at a track is all day FUN!
    The K16 is a big girl, that's not a surprise to anyone. It's also surprisingly agile and will fool people in the twisties. I've even seen guys take it on track day with or without cases and do well.
    My K16GT performs much better than my K12GT in all aspects. Both great bikes but the big girl is a keeper, especially for 2up riding all day long.
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA
    BMW MOA #220293

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnybow View Post
    ....the big girl is a keeper, especially for 2up riding all day long.
    The Honda Goldwing will also surprise the unsuspecting rider. Having followed a K16GT down a winding road, and being showered with sparks off its footpegs/undercarriage, I can attest to it being especially good for 2up, all day riding.

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    K13S - SPORT touring bike
    K13GT - sport TOURING bike
    K16 - touring barcalounger

K13S in the twisties or at a track is all day FUN!
    I totally agree… My K13GT is a sport “touring”bike.
    But in speaking to the post… Two post previous… About leaving other bikes in the dust on corners, it depends on what kind of experience those riders have. You can’t just lay it all on the type of bike you’re leaving behind

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrodgers View Post
    But in speaking to the postÖ Two post previousÖ About leaving other bikes in the dust on corners, it depends on what kind of experience those riders have. You canít just lay it all on the type of bike youíre leaving behind
    You are absolutely correct. Rider skill might have a teeny tiny part to play.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrodgers View Post
    I totally agree… My K13GT is a sport “touring”bike.
    But in speaking to the post… Two post previous… About leaving other bikes in the dust on corners, it depends on what kind of experience those riders have. You can’t just lay it all on the type of bike you’re leaving behind
    In my experience, both GT owners can outride my skill sets. One scrapes pegs on Goldwings and helped me become a better rider as I followed and listened to feedback years ago. We swapped bikes in Arkansas once and it took H to get him to trade back hours later. He couldn’t believe he was not catching me on the GS in the tight curves prior to the swap. He rides a K16 now and I haven’t played in some time.I can only imagine.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I think we hijacked the thread and I'm sorry about that.
    I've learned that scraping pegs isn't necessarily a test of how good a rider is, it could be other things that cause the pegs to scrape.
    Particularly, on the K16GT, if you ride with the suspension set on the lowest setting (1up) and on the "comfort" setting (2012-2016) if you weigh more than a buck thirty, you'll most likely scrape pegs. I weigh considerably more than that, set my suspension as high as I can (2up) and in sport mode which hardens up the springs and I don't ever remember scraping pegs. I have no chicken strips on the sidewalls so I lean it over considerably and LOVE the twisties.
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA
    BMW MOA #220293

Interesting discussion all. Iíve had the pleasure of owning two GTs and putting a couple hundred thousand miles on them, a K12GT that I destroyed when I misjudged available traction with still cold tires on a sub-freezing commute, and a K13GT that I still own. I considered and test road a K16GT back-to-back with a K13GT before buying the K13GT; I really would have liked the electronics of the 16, but the 13ís better power to weight and less weight trounced the 16 in the twisties I test road that day. On the subject of what year to look for, I was looking for and ended up with a 2010 because I wanted to make sure had all the fixes learned from the earlier years. Despite this, I still had a final drive fail at 65K. If I was buying a GT now, it would still be a 13, but Iíd look for one with very low miles or one that had already had its final drive replaced.

Given the highjacked part of the discussion, Iíll mention that I rode a lot of track days on both my GTs until my track skills exceeded the GTís ability and I added an S1RR to continue progressing. I knew I was exceeding the GTís ability when I noticed I was touching the fairing during leans (at the rear point where the black belly pan meets the side fairing); any further touching would have levered a tire loose from the pavement. At that time, I had zero chicken strips on my tires. After discussion with the track coaches and a great deal of reading, I learned that touching anything other tires and no chicken strip isnít a good thing; it means you have no reserve lean remaining and that youíre one opps road perturbation away from breaking loose a tire. To avoid that and still ride at that level, you have to get off the seat and lean your body inside MotoGP style. Shifting your weight inside shifts the motorcycle up so itís lean is decreased and gives you more clearance and chicken strip reserve for the inevitable opps road perturbation. After I started seriously leaning in, I never touched the GTís fairing again and I always had chicken strip reserve.

On a related note, I highly recommend Lee Parksí book, Total Control. The chapter on the technique for leaning in had me touching my knee pads the first track day I applied it. Even then, I still had chicken strip reserve left.