• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What year K1300GT to look for ???

Power Commander?

My bike has the throttle lag but never any idle nor hard starting issues when hot. Both ESA shocks replaced by dealer when I bought it. All recalls done and new PR4 GT tires. I need to sell it as it is the 4th bike in rotation. Every time I ride it convinces me to be not aggressive in parting ways with it. Supremely capable machine and comfortable for the Mrs. when I install the top case for her.

2008 missed

Yes mine was a 2008 loaded to the max, Just sold it and regretting, but with a hip issue time will tell and another will pop up my way, 2009 or 210 for sure
62144564_10216837488508620_482974819101442048_n.jpg attached pick of my 94000 mile ride sweet as new

K 13 GT, owned for a month

As my title says, I’ve owned my K1300 GT now for about a month. I bought it from the dealer in Victoria on Vancouver Island on the west coast of Canada for $8000 Canadian. It’s a 2010 and when I bought it it had 22,000 km on it. You can do the math… I almost feel like I stole it! I’ve had Hondas of all shapes and sizes, some of the larger Suzuki’s, five Harleys including a V rod muscle, which I found to be the closest thing to this bike… But nowhere is near it when it comes to sheer power/performance/handling/comfort. And with cruise control, heated grips, heated seat front and back, on the fly adjustable windshield and adjustable suspension… Why would anyone want anything else but a K1300 GT.
Thank you… BMW
With this being my 14th… Or is it 15th motorcycle, I think I’ll hang onto this one for a while

I've been seeing them up for sale more lately. I owned a 2007 K12GT and rode the snot out of that bike. Loved every minute. When I was looking at new bikes, the K13GT was a used option but once I rode the K16GT, I knew that was the bike for me. I found a new 2014 for sale in 2016, bought it immediately.
Sorry, got off track there for a second.

I do like the K13GT, it's an awesome machine and if you can find one, ensure all the things the guys above said needed to be tended to are done. Enjoy the bike, I'm sure you'll be more than happy. I do think the K16GT is a far superior machine, just make sure you look at 14's or later. I would actually be more specific, look at 14-16 which is when the throttle response is unfiltered and has immediate response. Either way, enjoy the ride.

I owned a 2007 K1200GT and rode it for about 20K miles in 2008-2013. Loved the bike but got the bug for a K1600GT--found a 2012 and enjoyed the heck out of it too. That inline 6 is amazing. Sold it in 2015 when I moved.

A year ago, I decided I wanted to get a second bike (kids have all graduated from college) to park next to my GSA. I bought a really clean 2015 K1600GT but this time around, I wasn't as happy with it because most of my riding is on twisty, country roads. The K16 will hustle but it needs lots of input to make it happen---it just wasn't the right tool for the job I wanted it to do. I ended up selling it in less than a year and replaced it with a K1300S. For me, the K13S is everything I wanted in a second bike to rip up those forest backroads. YMMV...

I owned a 2007 K1200GT and rode it for about 20K miles in 2008-2013. Loved the bike but got the bug for a K1600GT--found a 2012 and enjoyed the heck out of it too. That inline 6 is amazing. Sold it in 2015 when I moved.

A year ago, I decided I wanted to get a second bike (kids have all graduated from college) to park next to my GSA. I bought a really clean 2015 K1600GT but this time around, I wasn't as happy with it because most of my riding is on twisty, country roads. The K16 will hustle but it needs lots of input to make it happen---it just wasn't the right tool for the job I wanted it to do. I ended up selling it in less than a year and replaced it with a K1300S. For me, the K13S is everything I wanted in a second bike to rip up those forest backroads. YMMV...

Totally different jobs, you're comparing a sport touring bike with a sport bike. I want a K13S as well but it'd never replace my K16GT

Totally different jobs, you're comparing a sport touring bike with a sport bike. I want a K13S as well but it'd never replace my K16GT

I consider the K1300S a Sport Touring bike.
We found ours comfortable for long trips.

I consider the K1300S a Sport Touring bike.
We found ours comfortable for long trips.

Total agreement with both of those statements. The K12/13S is much too big to be considered a sport bike. Its about 130 pounds (about 30%) heavier than my sport bike.

Of course, compared to a K1600GT, the K12/13S is definitely a sport bike. :D

Last edited:
Total agreement with both of those statements. The K12/13S is much too big to be considered a sport bike. Its about 130 pounds (about 30%) heavier than my sport bike.

Of course, compared to a K1600GT, the K12/13S is definitely a sport bike. :D

Agree with Lee as well. Wrangling a K12S in twisties all day was a lot of work when I tried to pace with H on hers. A liter bike is a sport bike to me.
I left two K12GT’s a few turns behind me on my GSA until the road straightened out... more than once:dance

K13S - SPORT touring bike
K13GT - sport TOURING bike
K16 - touring barcalounger

:)

K13S in the twisties or at a track is all day FUN!

The K16 is a big girl, that's not a surprise to anyone. It's also surprisingly agile and will fool people in the twisties. I've even seen guys take it on track day with or without cases and do well.
My K16GT performs much better than my K12GT in all aspects. Both great bikes but the big girl is a keeper, especially for 2up riding all day long.

....the big girl is a keeper, especially for 2up riding all day long.

The Honda Goldwing will also surprise the unsuspecting rider. Having followed a K16GT down a winding road, and being showered with sparks off its footpegs/undercarriage, I can attest to it being especially good for 2up, all day riding. :wave

I totally agree… My K13GT is a sport “touring”bike.
But in speaking to the post… Two post previous… About leaving other bikes in the dust on corners, it depends on what kind of experience those riders have. You can’t just lay it all on the type of bike you’re leaving behind

But in speaking to the post… Two post previous… About leaving other bikes in the dust on corners, it depends on what kind of experience those riders have. You can’t just lay it all on the type of bike you’re leaving behind

You are absolutely correct. Rider skill might have a teeny tiny part to play. :)

I totally agree… My K13GT is a sport “touring”bike.

In my experience, both GT owners can outride my skill sets. One scrapes pegs on Goldwings and helped me become a better rider as I followed and listened to feedback years ago. We swapped bikes in Arkansas once and it took H to get him to trade back hours later. He couldn’t believe he was not catching me on the GS in the tight curves prior to the swap. He rides a K16 now and I haven’t played in some time.I can only imagine.

I think we hijacked the thread and I'm sorry about that.
I've learned that scraping pegs isn't necessarily a test of how good a rider is, it could be other things that cause the pegs to scrape.
Particularly, on the K16GT, if you ride with the suspension set on the lowest setting (1up) and on the "comfort" setting (2012-2016) if you weigh more than a buck thirty, you'll most likely scrape pegs. I weigh considerably more than that, set my suspension as high as I can (2up) and in sport mode which hardens up the springs and I don't ever remember scraping pegs. I have no chicken strips on the sidewalls so I lean it over considerably and LOVE the twisties.

Interesting discussion all. I’ve had the pleasure of owning two GTs and putting a couple hundred thousand miles on them, a K12GT that I destroyed when I misjudged available traction with still cold tires on a sub-freezing commute, and a K13GT that I still own. I considered and test road a K16GT back-to-back with a K13GT before buying the K13GT; I really would have liked the electronics of the 16, but the 13’s better power to weight and less weight trounced the 16 in the twisties I test road that day. On the subject of what year to look for, I was looking for and ended up with a 2010 because I wanted to make sure had all the fixes learned from the earlier years. Despite this, I still had a final drive fail at 65K. If I was buying a GT now, it would still be a 13, but I’d look for one with very low miles or one that had already had its final drive replaced.

Given the highjacked part of the discussion, I’ll mention that I rode a lot of track days on both my GTs until my track skills exceeded the GT’s ability and I added an S1RR to continue progressing. I knew I was exceeding the GT’s ability when I noticed I was touching the fairing during leans (at the rear point where the black belly pan meets the side fairing); any further touching would have levered a tire loose from the pavement. At that time, I had zero chicken strips on my tires. After discussion with the track coaches and a great deal of reading, I learned that touching anything other tires and no chicken strip isn’t a good thing; it means you have no reserve lean remaining and that you’re one opps road perturbation away from breaking loose a tire. To avoid that and still ride at that level, you have to get off the seat and lean your body inside MotoGP style. Shifting your weight inside shifts the motorcycle up so it’s lean is decreased and gives you more clearance and chicken strip reserve for the inevitable opps road perturbation. After I started seriously leaning in, I never touched the GT’s fairing again and I always had chicken strip reserve.

On a related note, I highly recommend Lee Parks’ book, Total Control. The chapter on the technique for leaning in had me touching my knee pads the first track day I applied it. Even then, I still had chicken strip reserve left.

Back