Thread: What year K1300GT to look for ???

Sufferin Boothead

What year K1300GT to look for ???

Does it matter what year K1300GT I should look for? As a previous owner of several oilheads and instead of going to a wethead, I'm thinking about looking for a low mileage K13GT but didn't know if later models were better. Thanks for your opinions.

The K13GT was only made for 2009 and 2010 and little difference that I am aware of in the two years. I'd be partial to the 2010 myself, but I think you'll find that more critical than the year is the maintenance the bike received and whether or not all the SI bulletins were done on the machine. Of particular importance is making sure the cam chain jump guard has been installed. That check does not require any disassembly, just removal of the Torx plug on the lower RH side of the engine--the edge of the jump guard is visible through that hole.

The K13GT is an awesome motorcycle, a great blend of power, handling, and comfort. They are very reasonably priced in the used market and many low-mileage examples around. Good luck with your search and enjoy the bike!
    Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Talking 2009 or 2010 in USA with all of the updates complete

One of the best touring sporty bikes on the market to date. Whether it is on the autobann, Tail of the Dragon, The Stelvio pass or just riding it is the best of ALL WORLDS. I too will be looking for a low mileage K1300gt 2009 to 2011 here in Canada ( they were available in 2011 here) as mine will turn over 100 000 miles next year. regular maintenance items = front and rear shocks rebuilt,clutch by 50 to 60 000 miles, rear shaft bearings by 70 000 miles,

If you are coming from a boxer and you don't do all of your own service, be prepared to pay for hefty repair bills. 1300 GT's are not cheap to maintain, especially when it comes to valve checks.
    BMWMOA #62 / BMWRA #77
    2009 K1300 GT
    2005 R1200RT - gone
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo

There were more differences across the years in the K1200GT. Most of the early issue had been sorted by 2008 (which is why I chose an 08 GT), and the K1300GT benefited from that evolution and thus not too much trouble with them. I will concur that these bikes are a lot more work to do maintenance on, but by no means is it outside the realm of a decently skilled owner top do pretty much any service work. You will most definitely want a good manual though to do so. The first couple of times getting the plastic off is a bit daunting- lots of screws of various sizes - but after a few times it gets easier and more familiar. Very enjoyable bike to ride, bar backs, peg lowering and a new windscreen made all the difference for me to finally love mine.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Maintenance Considerations...

I have owned a 2008 K1200GT from new and do my own maintenance. The bike now has 122,000 miles. It is very similar to the K1300GT in almost all respects.

Getting all the body work off is petty basic, lots of screws is all.

Pulling the radiator you'll do well to buy the clamping tool to remove the radiator hose clamps.

Because...you have to pull the radiator to get to the spark plugs and the valves.

The coils are a bitch to get off the plugs even with the proper coil remover tool. The original white coils chipped easy, real easy.

Checking the valves is standard stuff...once you get the radiator and the valve cover off.

So far, even with the cam chain on our bike jumping two teeth, the valves have not needed any adjustment. An adjustment would require the cams to be pulled.

DO make sure the cam chain anti jump piece is installed. It's a recall and free if it hasn't been.

Filling the radiator can be done without an Air-Lift though the Air-Lift tool with a air compressor makes it a bit easier.

Bleeding the brakes is mostly standard. I have swapped out all the bleeders with Speed Bleeders. Makes it an easier one man job. (See the comment below about the GS-911.)

Draining the oil tank with the straw is a bit slow, and getting the straw off the oil tank can be a real PITA.

The newer rear drives on the K13s do have a fill and a drain. My '08 didn't have a drain, I had to drop the rear drive every time I did a rear drive oil change.

The clutch on our bike got to the point I couldn't get her into neutral when running and stopped. Once that began, the clutch got a bit sticky. It took a new basket and clutch pack to fix it. That was the only big expensive I had because neither the OEM nor the extended warranty covered the clutch.

The older rear drives let dirt in. Wanda and I tried to ride through an Haboob and packed the rear drive with sand. The replacement drive was $2,300 and was covered by our extended warranty.

There is a recall on the fuel pump housing on Beemers past 2005. Need to be sure that was done.

A GS-911 is a very valuable tool that will aid in properly bleeding the brakes, resetting the computer, checking which brake pads are worn and then reset them, and a bunch of other stuff. In my opinion it is a must have tool if you have a modern computer driven bike.

And...order the DVD OEM Repair Manual. Lots of torque settings and stuff to pay attention to.

On the other hand...if you don't do you own maintenance...never mind

Our 2008 K1200GT is our bike of choice for long distance travel. We just got back from Texas for the MOA Getaway in Kerrville, 1,800 miles round trip. The GT averaged 40 mpg two up with six days of clothes.

If BMW did another K12/K13GT, it would probably be our next Beemer.

Deryle & Wanda Mehrten
    Sierra Vista, AZ USA