• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

front tire wear

jfoster

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this, first time post. I was wondering how many miles people are getting out of their front tire being the michelin pilot 4 gt. I've got 8000 on mine and the tread still looks good but the sides are looking worn. Just to have something to compare it to. thanks

Got 10K on my latest and it still has life. Have found running them at 40 psi helps reduce cupping also.

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this, first time post. I was wondering how many miles people are getting out of their front tire being the michelin pilot 4 gt. I've got 8000 on mine and the tread still looks good but the sides are looking worn. Just to have something to compare it to. thanks

I always change the front tire when I do the rear tire usually at 10-11,000 miles and I also run 40psi in the front tire to help it wear better . I could probably get another 4-5,000 miles on the front tire but choose to replace both at the same time.

While tire mileage can be relatively stated as being between 8,000 - 14,000 miles for most of the top-tier touring tires today, the difference between the lower end and the upper end is often a function of tire pressures and riding style.

Most folks are using 2-4 psi above the Riders Manual recommendations to get the longest wear and best wear patterns. Spirited riding naturally accelerates tire wear. Down-shifting vs braking for corners (which I do a fair bit of) moves tire wear off the front tire to the rear. I only got a little over 6,000 miles out of the OE Z8s on my RTW before they corded. I had a very heavy wrist over that initial period so I was okay with that as I expect that under more "normal" riding they'd give 10k~ for me.

Tires Tires Tires

I would have been a happy camper with 8k. Just told by my dealer today that my Michelin Annakees were toast with only 6,100 miles. To make things worse, I needed brake pads (almost steel on steel) on a bike that I bought from them in January. And yes I rode 6000 but really! How bad were those pads in January?

I would have been a happy camper with 8k. Just told by my dealer today that my Michelin Annakees were toast with only 6,100 miles. To make things worse, I needed brake pads (almost steel on steel) on a bike that I bought from them in January. And yes I rode 6000 but really! How bad were those pads in January?

Heck never mind the tires if you need brakes after 6100 miles that is crazy!

I would have been a happy camper with 8k. Just told by my dealer today that my Michelin Annakees were toast with only 6,100 miles.

My Anakee III's have 12.5K miles on them and are still legal with no cupping front or rear.

How many miles?

I normally get around 4K rear and 6K front on my 2014 GS. I switched to Shinko 705 and still get about 4K on the rear, but nearly 10K front! They stick just fine and great on fire roads at a price I can afford every couple months!

How many Miles

Heavy mountain riding in the Sierra foothills with my new RS had the OE Z8 front tire go away after 4500 miles. Lots of downshifting and braking, not much straight line riding. Going to the new Metzler 01 Roadtec's this coming week. I tend to weight bias the front end when riding and really appreciate a sticky tire...........

I'm on my first ever front PR4T, it has 9,500 miles and plenty left. I've had 2 PR4Ts on the rear, one got 6,700 miles, the other 11,700. No idea why the huge difference. It's looking like PR4Ts may be like Anakee 3s - 2 rears for every front.

And for the guy who got 6,100 on brakes, if it's a new bike something is seriously wrong. I got 35,000 on each of my first 2 sets of rear pads, and I changed the front at 43K; 38K later it looks like they'll need replacing soon.

Ok, I need to be more specific. I bought the bike used with 23k on it in January 2013 and they put new Annakees on it then, or at least they said that and they appeared to be new. In October 2017, after 6k this year they said the tires will not pass inspection and the brakes are metal on metal (but didn't get to the rotors yet!). So my thoughts are that they may be a bit quick to kill the tires (but rolling the dice there is dangerous and they know that) and the brake pads are gone but probably should have been done before they charged me top dollar for the bike.

p.s. bmwbob - how are those 705's on the open road?

Ok, I need to be more specific. I bought the bike used with 23k on it in January 2013 and they put new Annakees on it then, or at least they said that and they appeared to be new. In October 2017, after 6k this year they said the tires will not pass inspection and the brakes are metal on metal (but didn't get to the rotors yet!). So my thoughts are that they may be a bit quick to kill the tires (but rolling the dice there is dangerous and they know that) and the brake pads are gone but probably should have been done before they charged me top dollar for the bike.

Well that seems a lot more reasonable! While needing brakes at 29K is still a bit early it is much more understandable. In addition my buddy who has a GSW indicated the OEM brake pads had a known "early wear out" issue. I believe he too had to replace the pads before 30K. I agree .... just bite the bullet and get new brakes and tires and know you are safe.

Ok you have 29k on the bike, for some strange reason the rear brake go out at low mileage so 29k isn't bad. 6K on tires, that doesn't sound out of the question either, I ride Chip n Seal and 6k is good for me. They also say you shouldn't keep tires more then 5 years after manufacture date so it may be time as well. You can see the manufacture date on the tire it will show the week and year it was made.

Jay

Back