• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Upgraded rear turn signals on my -09 K1300s

mattias_k1300

Upgraded turn signals on my -09 K1300s

Ordered some chinese LED turn signals a few weeks ago, got the parts yesterday and got them installed today. Bought everything from aliexpress and was able to source adapters that had the BMW connector, this made the whole thing plug and play. took about 20 min mounting them and that included taking off the old parts.
My bike had clear lenses and in sunlight they were not that bright. Total cost incl shipping for the upgrade was 33$, really pleased with the result.

Some pics and a link to a video fo comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQBvsbIbxKg&feature=youtu.be

20170926_152340.jpg20170926_162204.jpg

I have tested a number of different LED bulbs from ebay for the front tunrsignals but nothing has been bright enough. I ordered a set from aliexpress and they are superb! Extremely bright and no one can miss i signal now, unless they are blind.
They are built entirely from aluminum and have heatsink in between the panels. No problem with canbus either.

I can recommend these and i have ordered an extra set just to have on hand for the future.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs...311.0.0.mR2Z0h

I use these LED bulbs with these lenses.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schwarze-...frecce-nero-/132193775796?hash=item1ec75cf0b4

Attachments

• 20170926_162217.jpg
    20170926_162217.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
And they look like the size of the lens is too small to meet the dimentional requirements for turn signal lenses. I don't have a link but do know the dealer installed BMW accessory turn signals are being recalled in Canada because they are too small. Not positive, but strongly suspicious.

Thanks!

We dont have that kind of requirements here in sweden, as long as they have the ECE approvement E-mark it is ok.
These do not but i also know that people working at our MOT stations dont mind as long as they can see that the light output is equal or better than stock.
There standpoint is often that real safety improvements are better than having an E-mark printed on the lens.

What are the dimesions you have to meet? I could take more precise measurements if you like.

The lens is 71mm long and 30mm high.

Got some more turn signals in the mail today,, they are tiny to look at but they pack an equal punch to the ones i mounted and show in the video, probably due to that the one's i mounted are 3x1w LED's and the one's i got today are 1x3w LED.
Build quality is not the best, little uneven gaps and finish. These would really be inconspicuous when mounted due too there small overall size. True or not they have both 11 and 12 (approved for both front and rear use on public roads) ece mark and the 50R E8 which suggests they are approved in Czech Republic, but there are no documetns in the box that proves that.

Just a pic for comparison, no video. They are crazy bright.
Link to them if anyone wants to order. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-...r-Indicator-Lamp-Blinker-For/32765034840.html

Attachments

• 20170927_111546.jpg
    20170927_111546.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 255
I was pleasantly surprised to see the LED signals are more visible from a side view. That's contradictory to what I've heard before about LED signals. Seeing how much brighter they are than the clear lens these will soon be on our S. Thanks.

p.s. If I'm reading correctly the BMW recall isn't about safety (brightness) but is due to the size? That's so stupid it must be true. :scratch

Many cheap LED parts use normal 5mm led, these are high powered COB led's that also has optics fitted. Thus the difference in spread.
LED need's optics to perform.

Did you have to install resistors?
I added some to our R12S and have not installed resistors yet...they are blinking a bit faster and throwing a bulb out code on the dash panel, but not enough annoyance to correct untill I have the time.

We still have a state safety inspection to pass to have plates issued until next March, mine passed with a comment last week that the rear blinkers were definitely visible:thumb

I was pleasantly surprised to see the LED signals are more visible from a side view. That's contradictory to what I've heard before about LED signals. Seeing how much brighter they are than the clear lens these will soon be on our S. Thanks.

p.s. If I'm reading correctly the BMW recall isn't about safety (brightness) but is due to the size? That's so stupid it must be true. :scratch

Link to NHTSA Safety Recall 17E052000: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCLRPT-17E052-6642.PDF

Prefixed a few digits to an included part number to match the BMW fiche, found 63138522499 on the MAX BMW fiche, and a pic:

63138522499_4_B.jpg

Skimmed through a bit of FMVSS108: S5.1.1.25 "Each turn signal lamp on a motorcycle shall have an effective projected luminous lens area of not less than 2258 square mm. (3 1⁄2 square inches)."

That lens is maybe two square inches. Size matters here, not brightness. Once again, lighting regulations have not kept up with new technology.

Seems to have been a relatively unknown retrofit, so I doubt the recall will affect many folks.

Did you have to install resistors?
I added some to our R12S and have not installed resistors yet...they are blinking a bit faster and throwing a bulb out code on the dash panel, but not enough annoyance to correct untill I have the time.

We still have a state safety inspection to pass to have plates issued until next March, mine passed with a comment last week that the rear blinkers were definitely visible:thumb

Yes i did, dont like seing the warning, also it would definitly fail an MOT inspection and also attract police.

There are links in the description of my youtube video for all parts i bought. Its the right connectors for bmw and makes it plug n play without the hassle of splicing or cutting wires.

Link to NHTSA Safety Recall 17E052000: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCLRPT-17E052-6642.PDF

Prefixed a few digits to an included part number to match the BMW fiche, found 63138522499 on the MAX BMW fiche, and a pic:

63138522499_4_B.jpg

Skimmed through a bit of FMVSS108: S5.1.1.25 "Each turn signal lamp on a motorcycle shall have an effective projected luminous lens area of not less than 2258 square mm. (3 1⁄2 square inches)."

That lens is maybe two square inches. Size matters here, not brightness. Once again, lighting regulations have not kept up with new technology.

Seems to have been a relatively unknown retrofit, so I doubt the recall will affect many folks.
Then the one's i fitted falls just short regarding size, 2130 square mm. 71×30mm.

the long wait is over, got some replica Bmw turnsignals in the mail and they are bright, really bright. They use 3 pcs of white cob-led and the optics is an outer shell of clear plastic with an internal part that is orange, this unfortunatly makes them look a little to white IMO, but will probably do their job without any problems.
These have by far the most uniform lightspread (when tested against a wall) of all the LED turnsignals tested yet, really nice uniform bright spread. It is making a yellow/amber light as it should just a little washed out.

They are made of all plastics except for the mounting is made of rubber with a metal bolt, these should be good if you ride a lot on rough roads or have a habit of kicking the turnsignals getting on/off the bike. They flex a lot and return to normal in an instant when bent.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pc...Bendable-UNBreak-Lamps-Black/32432627594.html

I have tested a number of different LED bulbs from ebay for the front tunrsignals but nothing has been bright enough. I ordered a set from aliexpress and they are superb! Extremely bright and no one can miss i signal now, unless they are blind.
They are built entirely from aluminum and have heatsink in between the panels. No problem with canbus either.

I can recommend these and i have ordered an extra set just to have on hand for the future.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-12V-24V-Canbus-921-912-T15-No-Polarity-T16-Bulb-Light-Parking-Backup-Reverse-Led/32819188367.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.mR2Z0h

Check out the videos from this guy, he tests a lot of chinese LED turnsignals in his video's.
I have the 3rd and the 5th from the bottom, they are CRAZY bright in real life, the video dont do them justice. Probably because of the camera whitebalance.
The 3rd set from are knockoffs of Bmw turnsignals, they are made of plastic. The spread of the light is huge and uniform, putting power to just one of them lights up a blacked out room completely.

The 5th ones are unfortunatly not that great in their looks with uneven edges and a somewhat poor finish, but they are bright .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ02nH3r9PI

Got another set of LED bulbs today, this time only a T10 bulb but is was bright enough to replace a w16w for front turnsignal bulb. Color is a really deep orange so it will work great in clear/smoked lens applications like the front of K1300s.
Came in retail packaging, the feel and build quality is premium, how they stand up over time i don't know.
No warnings from canbus.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-white-and-blue-4014-High-Power-168-2825-T10-LED-Bulbs-For-Car-Parking-Position/32662758718.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.InYV3H

Today i took the resistors out of the bike, recoced the zfe to accept led turnsignals and parking lights. No lampwarning, no hyperflash.

Used motoscan ultimate app on my phone and connected to the bike through a unicarscan ucsi2000. Took 2 minutes.

Today i took the resistors out of the bike, recoced the zfe to accept led turnsignals and parking lights. No lampwarning, no hyperflash.

Used motoscan ultimate app on my phone and connected to the bike through a unicarscan ucsi2000. Took 2 minutes.

More details on this, please? Is this a simple toggle in the ZFE settings (LED= yes/no) or do you need to enter a particular amount of current? Are there other values in the ZFE that you can modify?

Values are active or deactivated for most parameters. There are a lot of things that can be changed.

But to use led simply connect to the bike with ignition on, select zfe scroll to LED Low consumption KL58R and choose aktiv/active.

Press perform coding. Bike flashes headlight and does a pre ride check running all actuators and flashes the kombi. Wait 30 seconds that is done and turn ignition off. Wait 1 minute and then turn ignition on. Done. You should now be able to use led in all lights without warnings displayed.

For the taillight there is a separate setting.

Values are active or deactivated for most parameters. There are a lot of things that can be changed.

But to use led simply connect to the bike with ignition on, select zfe scroll to LED Low consumption KL58R and choose aktiv/active.

Press perform coding. Bike flashes headlight and does a pre ride check running all actuators and flashes the kombi. Wait 30 seconds that is done and turn ignition off. Wait 1 minute and then turn ignition on. Done. You should now be able to use led in all lights without warnings displayed.

For the taillight there is a separate setting.

Thanks for the information. It is nice to see alternatives to the expensive GS-911, especially with additional capabilities.

Back