Thread: Upgraded rear turn signals on my -09 K1300s

Upgraded rear turn signals on my -09 K1300s

Ordered some chinese LED turn signals a few weeks ago, got the parts yesterday and got them installed today. Bought everything from aliexpress and was able to source adapters that had the BMW connector, this made the whole thing plug and play. took about 20 min mounting them and that included taking off the old parts.
    My bike had clear lenses and in sunlight they were not that bright. Total cost incl shipping for the upgrade was 33$, really pleased with the result.

Some pics and a link to a video fo comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQBv...ature=youtu.be

20170926_152340.jpg20170926_162204.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bmw K1300S 2009 , Lava orange metallic.

Looks good and a lot cheaper than the BMW LED turn signals.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

And they look like the size of the lens is too small to meet the dimentional requirements for turn signal lenses. I don't have a link but do know the dealer installed BMW accessory turn signals are being recalled in Canada because they are too small. Not positive, but strongly suspicious.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I don't have a link but do know the dealer installed BMW accessory turn signals are being recalled in Canada because they are too small.
    Also a recall in the US.
    http://www.dealernews.com/bmw-motorr...on-compliance/

I plan to ignore it. If it's mandatory, BMW better reimburse us what we paid for the BMW accessory turn signals.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Thanks!

We dont have that kind of requirements here in sweden, as long as they have the ECE approvement E-mark it is ok.
    These do not but i also know that people working at our MOT stations dont mind as long as they can see that the light output is equal or better than stock.
    There standpoint is often that real safety improvements are better than having an E-mark printed on the lens.

What are the dimesions you have to meet? I could take more precise measurements if you like.

The lens is 71mm long and 30mm high.

Got some more turn signals in the mail today,, they are tiny to look at but they pack an equal punch to the ones i mounted and show in the video, probably due to that the one's i mounted are 3x1w LED's and the one's i got today are 1x3w LED.
    Build quality is not the best, little uneven gaps and finish. These would really be inconspicuous when mounted due too there small overall size. True or not they have both 11 and 12 (approved for both front and rear use on public roads) ece mark and the 50R E8 which suggests they are approved in Czech Republic, but there are no documetns in the box that proves that.

Just a pic for comparison, no video. They are crazy bright.
    Link to them if anyone wants to order. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-B...765034840.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was pleasantly surprised to see the LED signals are more visible from a side view. That's contradictory to what I've heard before about LED signals. Seeing how much brighter they are than the clear lens these will soon be on our S. Thanks.

p.s. If I'm reading correctly the BMW recall isn't about safety (brightness) but is due to the size? That's so stupid it must be true.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

Many cheap LED parts use normal 5mm led, these are high powered COB led's that also has optics fitted. Thus the difference in spread.
    LED need's optics to perform.

Did you have to install resistors?
    I added some to our R12S and have not installed resistors yet...they are blinking a bit faster and throwing a bulb out code on the dash panel, but not enough annoyance to correct untill I have the time.

We still have a state safety inspection to pass to have plates issued until next March, mine passed with a comment last week that the rear blinkers were definitely visible
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by CABNFVR View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised to see the LED signals are more visible from a side view. That's contradictory to what I've heard before about LED signals. Seeing how much brighter they are than the clear lens these will soon be on our S. Thanks.

p.s. If I'm reading correctly the BMW recall isn't about safety (brightness) but is due to the size? That's so stupid it must be true.
    Link to NHTSA Safety Recall 17E052000: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7E052-6642.PDF

Prefixed a few digits to an included part number to match the BMW fiche, found 63138522499 on the MAX BMW fiche, and a pic:

Skimmed through a bit of FMVSS108: S5.1.1.25 "Each turn signal lamp on a motorcycle shall have an effective projected luminous lens area of not less than 2258 square mm. (3 1⁄2 square inches)."

That lens is maybe two square inches. Size matters here, not brightness. Once again, lighting regulations have not kept up with new technology.

Seems to have been a relatively unknown retrofit, so I doubt the recall will affect many folks.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Did you have to install resistors?
    I added some to our R12S and have not installed resistors yet...they are blinking a bit faster and throwing a bulb out code on the dash panel, but not enough annoyance to correct untill I have the time.

We still have a state safety inspection to pass to have plates issued until next March, mine passed with a comment last week that the rear blinkers were definitely visible
    Yes i did, dont like seing the warning, also it would definitly fail an MOT inspection and also attract police.

There are links in the description of my youtube video for all parts i bought. Its the right connectors for bmw and makes it plug n play without the hassle of splicing or cutting wires.

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Link to NHTSA Safety Recall 17E052000: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7E052-6642.PDF

Prefixed a few digits to an included part number to match the BMW fiche, found 63138522499 on the MAX BMW fiche, and a pic:

Skimmed through a bit of FMVSS108: S5.1.1.25 "Each turn signal lamp on a motorcycle shall have an effective projected luminous lens area of not less than 2258 square mm. (3 1⁄2 square inches)."

That lens is maybe two square inches. Size matters here, not brightness. Once again, lighting regulations have not kept up with new technology.

Seems to have been a relatively unknown retrofit, so I doubt the recall will affect many folks.
    Then the one's i fitted falls just short regarding size, 2130 square mm. 7130mm.

the long wait is over, got some replica Bmw turnsignals in the mail and they are bright, really bright. They use 3 pcs of white cob-led and the optics is an outer shell of clear plastic with an internal part that is orange, this unfortunatly makes them look a little to white IMO, but will probably do their job without any problems.
    These have by far the most uniform lightspread (when tested against a wall) of all the LED turnsignals tested yet, really nice uniform bright spread. It is making a yellow/amber light as it should just a little washed out.

They are made of all plastics except for the mounting is made of rubber with a metal bolt, these should be good if you ride a lot on rough roads or have a habit of kicking the turnsignals getting on/off the bike. They flex a lot and return to normal in an instant when bent.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs...432627594.html