• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ESA Question For All You Smart Guys Out There

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
Scenario:
Lets say someone disconnected the damping adjuster plug from the front shock to the main harness.

Situation:
Upon reconnection, one does not recall the damping position the front shock was in before some dumbass disconnected the wiring. The front shock could have been set on "Comfort" or "Normal" or "Sport".

Challenge:
How does one ascertain/adjust the front damping to match what is displayed on the ESA readout / and what is applied to the rear shock? I'm fairly sure that the front shock is set on Comfort while the readout and rear shock are on Normal.

So, will the wise minds which have been so helpful in the past kindly chime in?

Disclaimer: I may or may not have been the dumbass. :banghead

The GS-911 tool allows you to calibrate the ESA. A dealer would also be able to do it for you for a fee.

I don't think any foul there. Now, if you are sending an ESA shock off to a shop, they will want you to set it in a certain position for their reference...but never recall being told to not touch buttons prior to a reinstall. Thinking the ECU stored that info and just plug it back in and ride.

One of the shock guys may chime in with more info, but have removed a few following model specific factory shop manual and do not recall any wording about setting in a certain mode.
BTW, left my S in Sport/one helmet most it's life unless having to plod on an Interstate for miles. Comfort was just that...marshmellow soft and no fun in the twisties

Comfort was just that...marshmellow soft and no fun in the twisties

Thank you, Gentlemen. I hear what you're saying about the "Comfort" setting. When set in that mode it feels like I'm riding a pogo stick instead of a motorcycle.

Thinking the ECU stored that info and just plug it back in and ride.

Issue is, since I accidentally (yeah, that's it, "accidentally") unplugged the thing, I've been riding the bike...and futzing around with settings.

I'll try the GS-911 thing and report back.

I would think the shock would adjust to whatever you have the setting set to when you plug it in and provide voltage.

Chris

I would think the shock would adjust to whatever you have the setting set to when you plug it in and provide voltage.

Chris

This is what I understand to be the problem with that. The computer only knows that there are X number of pulses from minimum to maximum limits of adjustment of the pre-load. It does not know where the actuator is at except by how far it was moved from one of the two limits. Calibrating it lets it reset the actuator to a known position and defines the limits so it can figure out where to move it when a selection is made.

Alrighty then....we have the procedure to reset preload. Is there a procedure to reset damping? I'm fairly sure that my front rebound is "one step behind" the rear rebound. i.e. When the rebound is set to "Sport", the front is on "Normal".

How does one ensure that both front and rear rebound adjustments are in synch?

Thanks again, guys.

Last edited:
Back