Thread: Another new member w/a tale to tell

Angry Another new member w/a tale to tell

Hello,
    I'm tony from las vegas, NV. I am the proud owner of a F800GS and quite happy with it.
    Looking forward to being a member of BMW MOA and its benefits.

However I would like to alert members to a phishing scam.
    recently posted my womans F700GS for sale on the Marketplace. She loves it but doesn't ride enough to feel comfortable riding.
    After posting I received an email offer through the BMW MOA Marketplace.
    long story short after going back and forth via email it turned out to be a scam. dammit It's such a nice bike too.

Someone took the time and money to join BMW MOA just to scam. Points for creativity.

watch out and seller be aware. I expect this from craigslist but was quite surprised to have someone go
    to the trouble.
    Since i'm new I never though to see if you have to be a member to make offers on bikes through the marketplace page.

oh well lesson learned
    P.S. no money was lost I just feel like a knucklehead.

Welcome to the forum and the MOA, Tony! Bummer about the Marketplace issue. But, and I could be wrong, but I'm not sure you have to be an MOA member to view and contact people on the Marketplace. Again, could be wrong, but that might be the case. At any rate, you sussed things out ahead of time!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    You shouldn't feel bad, you avoided trouble. I'm not aware of problems on or in the Marketplace. If you have the pertinent info such as a username and email, please forward it to the office or through the help button above.
    There is (unfortunately) weird dealings lately, hopefully it's isolated here at the MOA.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    You shouldn't feel bad, you avoided trouble. I'm not aware of problems on or in the Marketplace. If you have the pertinent info such as a username and email, please forward it to the office or through the help button above.
    There is (unfortunately) weird dealings lately, hopefully it's isolated here at the MOA.
    Gary
    will do thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tonythepilot View Post
    Hello,
    Someone took the time and money to join BMW MOA just to scam. Points for creativity.
    I don't believe you need to be a member of the MOA to reply to ads in our Marketplace. I could be wrong.