• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hall Effect Sensor Rewire

jsouth

Over the last year, I did a lot of research and bought the necessary components to rewire my HES wiring harness. Since my dad has a 2001 1100RS to match my 2000 R1100RS, and neither had been rewired, I bought enough wire to do two. I also bought an LED to do the testing of the individual HES devices on the plate, and to do the required timing on re-assembly. After disassembly and inspection, I thought my harness didn't need replacement. Nothing was obvious (of course it was still functioning) but when I got into the wiring under the plate, the original wire insulation was extremely brittle. Failure waiting to happen.

I will say this -- I have done LOTS of electronic assembly and soldering, and consider myself handy with wiring. This job is fairly tough, mostly because you are rewiring an existing harness and wires are already short, so there is no extra wire from the sensors. The fit is a little tight and required considerable thinking and some on-the-spot engineering. The second one (on my dad's bike) will be MUCH easier.

All in all, sending it to GSAddict who has this all figured out and is experienced, would be the best option for most people, and easily worth the price he charges.

On reassembly I noticed that the timing was a bit different from the original. I used the test LED clipped on the wiring harness (and battery power, of course) and rotated the plate until the LED just went off. The marks I made in disassembly were retarded in comparison to the position the test LED gave me. The bike does seem to start quicker and run a little better with a tiny bit of advance from the original setting (but actually right at TDC according to the LED).

I also took the opportunity while the tank was off to remove the alternator and install a new 14.5V Voltage Regulator, designed for AGM batteries (like my Odyssey) installed by the factory in later BMWs. That necessitated removing the Motronic controller and ABS modulator (and bleeding the entire system).

All in all, a productive weekend. I will no longer worry about my HES failing on the road, and my Odyssey should last very well.

But I will repeat -- unless you have a desire to engineer your own repair, and have a lot of time and experience to do it, send your HES harness to GSAddict!

Last edited:
I got a bunch of them to send GSaddict. Damn problem is that when I think of it...........................oooooh, I need a beer.

Back