• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hello from New England

smt321

Hello from New England (R75/7)

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 1977 R75/7. I think she's a beautiful bike. My first BMW. Rides really nicely. A great combination of power and excellent handling. The bike came with a Bates fairing (I removed), the Bates bags in the picture and the Wixom Trunk (I will likely remove, but keep for long trips)

She's not perfect, of course, right now both carbs are weeping a small amount of gas (enough on the left side to spot my boot when I am riding.) I have never worked on Bing Carbs, so hope to learn through research (Clymers, ownwers manual, shop manual, airheads groups, etc) and hopefully with some assistance from airhead folks on this site. At a minimum the carbs need cleaning, possible rebuild? Thoughts? Also oil pan has a slight drip, collect right at bottom of pan and drips from there. Probably needs new gasket? Thoughts on this? I have spent the last week reading the boards here and have already found lots of great information to learn from. Thanks to the active members here for building out such a useful resource of information!

I am open to any other advice, guidance from classic airhead owners here. Like I said, I am just starting out as the owner of this bike. I want to treat her right. So am looking for any and all thoughts--to do's, don'ts and any other advice you might have.

Tonight I went for a sunset ride. Here's a picture of the bike. Best, Terry

IMG_3203.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a basket case, I'll take it off your hands.

On a serious note, that is a nice looking bike. :thumb. Have fun wrenching, you'll have it back in order in no time.

Back