• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Couldn't believe my eyes

selyab

I was on a business trip in another state which does not require helmets and I saw a guy ride by on a K16GTL in shorts, a polo shirt, running shoes and of course no helmet. It seems obvious to me that this is something you should not do but I wonder how much the norm of not requiring a helmet sets the bar so low for acceptable activity for riders. Not that BMW riders are suppose to be superior but I thought it brought a different mindset than that.

Last edited:
Am not sure if the law should dictate if you should wear a helmet or not.
It is up to the individual to have common sense. However, even some
helmets are only good for when a bird leaves you a message! Open face
is nice, you breed better, can show off your beard or even smoke while riding,
but is it worth it? just a small rock thrown from a truck can crack a windshield,
I don't think a skull is stronger than that! And then there are the bugs and flies.
Here is how my helmet looked like in just a minute or so! Imagine how a rider
would look like even with open face helmet, never mind no helmet at all!
parts-16258-picture83642-img-0388.jpg

I was on a business trip in another state which does not require helmets and I saw a guy ride by on a K16GTL in shorts, a polo shirt, running shoes and of course no helmet. I seems obvious to me that this is something you should not do but I wonder how much the norm of not requiring a helmet sets the bar so low for acceptable activity for riders. Not that BMW riders are suppose to be superior but I thought it brought a different mindset than that.

Isn't that HIS decision to make ?

How'bout this...because {I} think so.......we all should wear helmets while driving our cars.....<sarc>

Last edited:
Isn't that HIS decision to make ?

How'bout this...because {I} think so.......we all should wear helmets while driving our cars.....<sarc>

I did not intend for the post to be about who gets to decide. The post is about what thought is behind that decision. You are 35 more times likely to die on a motorcycle than in a car. Riding a motorcycle is all about risk management.

Riding a motorcycle is all about risk management.

I thought riding a motorcycle in the United States was all about have having fun, freedom and enjoyment. :burnout

The bleak stuff is-

Now comes a study in the current issue of the Journal of Patient Safety that says the numbers may be much higher 2014 between 210,000 and 440,000 patients each year who go to the hospital for care suffer some type of preventable harm that contributes to their death, the study says.
That would make medical errors the third-leading cause of death in America, behind heart disease, which is the first, and cancer, which is second.

Courtesy of The Scientific American
OM

I thought riding a motorcycle in the United States was all about have having fun, freedom and enjoyment. :burnout

OM

Maybe he should have said "Surviving on a motorcycle is all about risk management". Having taught risk management and done high risk things my entire work life, RM is the best way to survive high risk activities. Having said that, sometimes your number is just up when some idiot hits you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did not intend for the post to be about who gets to decide. The post is about what thought is behind that decision. You are 35 more times likely to die on a motorcycle than in a car. Riding a motorcycle is all about risk management.

Life is all about risk management....the rider mentioned is obviously braver than I......

I was on a business trip in another state which does not require helmets and I saw a guy ride by on a K16GTL in shorts, a polo shirt, running shoes and of course no helmet.

I know I was in Colorado a few weeks ago and it was weird to see just how many riders were in shorts, polo shirts, running shoes and no helmet. The vast majority in the Denver area. I lean towards not having helmets be mandatory. That being said, as a retired trauma RN who saw his share of motorcycle crash injuries I think you're a bit crazy for not using the obvious and easy protections afforded by decent quality riding gear. One look at a face scrubbed off due to no helmet or non full face helmet--instead of a nose and lips, just raspberry goo. And cracked skulls and blown out eyes as well. And all this being said, sure if it's worth more to you to not use a quality helmet have at it.

Not that BMW riders are suppose to be superior but I thought it brought a different mindset than that.

I agree! We ride in ARK (a lot) where there is no helmet law. It makes me ashamed to see a BMW rider without a helmet. YES, it is a personal choice, but just how dumb can a person be to do this? After all, most BMW riders support all aspects of rider training, including ATGATT. If someone wants to ride without a helmet and or without other proper gear, go for it....but never expect me to feel sorry for them when they suffer the consequences. I would like to think that "we" are superior when it comes to being smart about riding safely.I would rather be considered a snob than a dumb ass in ICU or dead.

I agree! We ride in ARK (a lot) where there is no helmet law. It makes me ashamed to see a BMW rider without a helmet. YES, it is a personal choice, but just how dumb can a person be to do this? After all, most BMW riders support all aspects of rider training, including ATGATT. If someone wants to ride without a helmet and or without other proper gear, go for it....but never expect me to feel sorry for them when they suffer the consequences. I would like to think that "we" are superior when it comes to being smart about riding safely.I would rather be considered a snob than a dumb ass in ICU or dead.

"but just how dumb can a person be to do this?"

And yet may motorist say the same thing bout riding a motorcycle period.

You can make any decision you want on what to wear.....

Just don't have someone set up some "Go Fund Me" page because you can afford that 3rd Skin Graft or your funeral because of your poor decision!!! :violin

You can make any decision you want on what to wear.....

Just don't have someone set up some "Go Fund Me" page because you can afford that 3rd Skin Graft or your funeral because of your poor decision!!! :violin

Most of us immersed in the training arena try to educate and convince new or returning riders as to the value of protecting themselves from the neck up, given the undeniable results of what a crash will do to your head.

But in the end, we realize that wearing or not wearing a helmet becomes an emotional decision (peer pressure, ego, superstition, urban myths, "you can't fix stupid," etc.) and we just hope for the best.

Logic has apparently lost it's way in our society. :scratch

I try not to get too excited about all this........safety training or risk assessment has been eliminated at the school level. Here the kids on the sports teams are taught to run (exercise) in the streets with whatever they happen to be wearing.......no matter if it's light or dark out.
om

And just what is your point? Do you support this irresponsible behavior for BMW riders?

The point was simple and well taken.

Do I support this behavior, in a way yes, I'm indifferent to the personal decisions of others that do not endanger my or my families life on the roadway.

The condescension from the ATGATT crowd is uncalled for, if you are an ATGATT person, fine live and model your convictions, teach by example. It will surely be more effective in the long run than by informing those who don't agree with your convictions, that we are stupid.

As for "for BMW riders" seriously, what difference does the brand possibly have to this discussion?

And just what is your point? Do you support this irresponsible behavior for BMW riders?

I support minding my own business.......Some people believe it is irresponsible just to ride a motorcycle....even more-so for those riders with children. Do you want their view to become the rule ? Are you in agreement when they shake their heads at us? I wasn't aware that there was a format for riding & enjoying motorcycles........

Back