• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1600 B 2000 mile ride in the Ozarks

undertaker7101

I purchased a K1600 B a week ago and now have 2500 miles on it. Before I purchased it I had the dealer change out the windshield with one from a K 1600 GT. The stock B windshield is very loud. The seat gets uncomfortable in a few hundred miles. I'm sure there will be after market upgrades soon. Aero Flow is already working on a windshield. It is difficult for them because the dealers have only received one bike each so far. There aren't any extras for them to take back to their shop and experiment on. The dealers choice is to sell the one they have, or use it as a demo and take orders. The shift assist pro is very smooth from 1st gear on, unlike my 2015 R1200RT. Using shift assist on the RT is harsh until 3rd gear. The engine sounds like a turbine up to 4,000 RPM, from there it sounds like a Grand Prix race car. Some of my friends and I rode from Minneapolis to Harrison Arkansas this past week, where we spent three days riding the hills. In Dynamic mode it handles very well, easily going 20 to 25 miles an hour faster than the suggested 35 MPH on curves. I usually kept it in 4th gear which gave good engine braking. The 10 mph hairpin turns aren't much more challenging than on my RT. Most of the days were in the 90's and humid. The wing vents gave very good ventilation. However there is quite a bit of heat coming from the left side of the engine. It became a bit uncomfortable. On the highway at a steady 65 MPH , with a tail wind, I was getting 51 MPG. At 70 to 75 MPH, without a tail wind, it was in the low 40's. I spent 12 hours riding back home, sitting on a gel pad. In the cruse suspension mode, I hardly felt the bumps in the road. The saddle bags aren't as tall as the RT. I could get my full face helmet in if I put it in sideways. I like the bike.

Sounds like a Harley. Do you think this bike is outside BMW’s strike zone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum undertaker and thanks for your comments on the new bagger.

Sounds like a Harley. Do you think this bike is outside BMW’s strike zone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last week eight of the ten of us were riding Harleys. They all were very interested in my BMW bagger.. Some are interested enough to buy one. However being part of the Harley Owners Group is a social thing. Those that would purchase a BMW B would most likely keep their Harley. The dealer said they have many Harley owners stop in for a test ride. Their comments are "wow" and is there a back rest. No passenger back rest, equals no wife as a passenger. That is a problem. BMW has not de-tuned this engine like they did the R1200C / chrome head. I owned a 2001 Montana. This bike moves. Some people thought the R1200C was odd looking. I have only heard positive things from Harley owners about the B's looks. One guy thought the mufflers were a bit over styled. I think this bike could be a hit for BMW.
My BMW club friends wonder why I bought it. It looks like a Harley.

Windshield Available now

I purchased a K1600 B a week ago and now have 2500 miles on it. Before I purchased it I had the dealer change out the windshield with one from a K 1600 GT. The stock B windshield is very loud. The seat gets uncomfortable in a few hundred miles. I'm sure there will be after market upgrades soon. Aero Flow is already working on a windshield. It is difficult for them because the dealers have only received one bike each so far. There aren't any extras for them to take back to their shop and experiment on. The dealers choice is to sell the one they have, or use it as a demo and take orders. The shift assist pro is very smooth from 1st gear on, unlike my 2015 R1200RT. Using shift assist on the RT is harsh until 3rd gear. The engine sounds like a turbine up to 4,000 RPM, from there it sounds like a Grand Prix race car. Some of my friends and I rode from Minneapolis to Harrison Arkansas this past week, where we spent three days riding the hills. In Dynamic mode it handles very well, easily going 20 to 25 miles an hour faster than the suggested 35 MPH on curves. I usually kept it in 4th gear which gave good engine braking. The 10 mph hairpin turns aren't much more challenging than on my RT. Most of the days were in the 90's and humid. The wing vents gave very good ventilation. However there is quite a bit of heat coming from the left side of the engine. It became a bit uncomfortable. On the highway at a steady 65 MPH , with a tail wind, I was getting 51 MPG. At 70 to 75 MPH, without a tail wind, it was in the low 40's. I spent 12 hours riding back home, sitting on a gel pad. In the cruse suspension mode, I hardly felt the bumps in the road. The saddle bags aren't as tall as the RT. I could get my full face helmet in if I put it in sideways. I like the bike.

"7Jurock" makes a sweet windshield for the GTL/GL/B that works incredibly well. 19" or 20" with their flip and extra width puts the airstream over your head and in a quieter zone. Used one on a new RTW - world of difference! Have one ordered for my new GTL - getting impatient to try it. A potential drawback for some of you is that it is plexiglass (Lucite), not polycarb. And it's inexpensive - $170.00 in the 19" size.

ride in the ozarks

Undertaker7101, it sounds like you participated in the Fayetteville BB&B? We also did with some riding in the Ozarks, but the weather was uncomfortably hot. We left to go back home on Saturday. I am new to BMW - now riding a 2013 K1600GTL, as an addition to my HD fleet of Roadglide and Superglide. Really like the no vibration / low noise riding experience.

undertaker7101

I received a question about the deal I received on my new K1600B.
It was a difficult choice, to keep my 2015 R1200RT or purchase the Bagger. I chose the bagger. The dealer said they were a little short on used bikes, and my R1200RTW would be the first one of that model that was traded in. The dealer wanted it, and I heard they already sold it. It had 28,000 miles on it with all the factory options. They charged me full price for the K1600 B, but gave me $15,000. for my 2015. They also gave included the 600 mile service and changed the stock bagger windshield for a GT windshield. The stock bagger windshield had a lot of wind noise. When Aero Flow comes out with a windshield, I think I will put one on the K1600 B.
Hope this helps

also traded R1200RTLC 2015

I found pretty much the same things on my K1600B but my dealer gave me 14000 for mine and took about 1000 off new bike

Bagger Backrest

My last bike was a Honda ST1300. I could not get my wife on the back of that bike for more than an hour at a time. She spent three hours on the back of the Bagger today with little complaint, except for the lack of a backrest. I have a Corbin saddle, with backrest on order. After WE get some time on the saddle, I'll let the group know what SHE thinks!

There is a backrest for the Bagger that clamps to the rear of the grab rail, not what I'm really looking for. See the link below.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/prod...enger-backrest-alpha-listings-rcu07800-p-1276

My last bike was a Honda ST1300. I could not get my wife on the back of that bike for more than an hour at a time. She spent three hours on the back of the Bagger today with little complaint, except for the lack of a backrest. I have a Corbin saddle, with backrest on order. After WE get some time on the saddle, I'll let the group know what SHE thinks!

There is a backrest for the Bagger that clamps to the rear of the grab rail, not what I'm really looking for. See the link below.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/prod...enger-backrest-alpha-listings-rcu07800-p-1276

Thank you for your comments. Not fan of the sierra backrest product. Waiting to hear about your experience with the Corbin saddle

Bagger Backrest

The Corbin Dual Touring Saddle finally arrived after about nine weeks. I ordered one of the backrests to go with the saddle. The saddle has two mounting positions for the backrest, one for the rider and one for the passenger. Wife likes riding with me much more now. This is not a cheap backrest solution as you have to have the saddle to mount the backrest. The Corbin saddle is much more comfortable for long stretches on the road; for both the rider and passenger.

Back