• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigation 6 - What am I Missing Here?

river-runner

Brand New 17 GSA Owner

So I've paid the price of admission to own a Navigation 6. Just read through the quick start manual / instruction manual. Not to be a Debbie Downer - But - Is this all it does for $1,000 USD?

So can I load the 24K Garmin Regional maps in the 6?
How many tracks will it hold?
How many waypoints will it hold?
Can I load map layers?
Can I load all the campgrounds in the western US into it?
Are there any other cutie BMW apps available for this thing? How would I get them and load them....it's not in the book, I looked again.

ARRRRGGGG!!!!!!

Is there another place to go to get information on how this thing works?

I had a "quick start manual" in the box, is there supposed to be another manual or is there one on line?

Brand New 17 GSA Owner

So I've paid the price of admission to own a Navigation 6. Just read through the quick start manual / instruction manual. Not to be a Debbie Downer - But - Is this all it does for $1,000 USD?

So can I load the 24K Garmin Regional maps in the 6?
How many tracks will it hold?
How many waypoints will it hold?
Can I load map layers?
Can I load all the campgrounds in the western US into it?
Are there any other cutie BMW apps available for this thing? How would I get them and load them....it's not in the book, I looked again.

ARRRRGGGG!!!!!!

Is there another place to go to get information on how this thing works?

I had a "quick start manual" in the box, is there supposed to be another manual or is there one on line?

Don't beat yourself up - you're no 'Debbie Downer.' More like a 'Rhonda Reality.'

These days, you're expected to intuitively know how to manage complex devices - an arrogant presumption on the part of the electronics industry that we're all 'gadget geeks.'

Good luck buying a GPS, cell phone, laptop, helmet comm system, flat screen, etc. these days and getting an actual, functional Owners Manual. Companies now save millions of dollars annually by forcing the consumer to sift thru the internet, and then use your paper and your ink to download and print what should have been included.

I'm sure if you snoop long enough, you'll find what you need to try and get your money's worth out of the Nav 6 and be able to print it.

Welcome to the 'Abbreviated Information' age. :banghead

I think you might find the article (below) useful. While it's about the Navigator V (not Navigation, by the way), the Nav V, and the Nav VI you have, have a lot in common. I had a Nav V, which I just sold, and I've had a Nav VI for several months.

http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article07_gps/article07_nav5.shtml

Here is a link (from BMW Motorrad USA's website) to the Navigator VI manual:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en...ds/BMW-Motorrad_Navigator_VI_OwnersManual.pdf

I carry the PDF version of the user manual on my iPhone (saved in my Dropbox App), so I have it available. If you hook up your GPS to your computer, I think you'll also find a copy of the user manual saved on the device itself, though I don't think there's any way to access, and read it, on the device alone.

You can also find a file to download, on BMW Motorrad USA's site, if you ever want to update the dealer database on your GPS.

Also, download Garmin Smart Link App (from your phone's App store) onto your smart phone, and pair the GPS to the phone, and you can access Traffic, and weather. You must subscribe to weather, but it's only $4.99 lifetime. Traffic used to cost $19.99, but I believe it's free now. Also, if you haven't, download Garmin Express onto your computer (Mac, or PC versions). When you plug your Nav VI into your computer, and open Garmin Express, this is how you update the firmware on your device, and also download the latest maps to your GPS (free "lifetime" map updates came with your Nav VI purchase). It will give you the choice of downloading maps to the GPS, your computer, or both. You'll want them on your computer, if you want to use Basecamp (free download from Garmin) for trip planning etc.

Finally, most people buy a microSD card to increase storage on the GPS. It fits into a slot under the battery. Use that small screwdriver that came in the box to remove the battery cover. The microSD card must be formatted FAT32.

Whenever I load GPX data, like routes, waypoints etc. onto the device (using Basecamp) , I load them onto the microSD card, not the device's internal memory. If you've loaded a route this way, you then still have to open the Trip Planner App on the GPS to "import" that route, or routes.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys:

I very much appreciate your help getting this up and running. You've provided a great start to making heads or tails from this device.

I use a Garmin Montana extensively for back country navigation on our KTM 690's. The Montana is a pretty full featured gps, hopefully I can wrestle out the same performance from the Navigator.

Anyone figure out how to load contacts from a Samsung phone into the Nav 6 and make a call via the Nav 6?
I'm not sure if it is different from the Nav V or other zumos but there should be nothing special to do other than pairing the phone to the Nav via bluetooth.
You then pair your Sena or Cardo to the Nav.
A phone button will appear on the home screen of your Nav.
I don't remember having to give any special permissions on my android phone for this to work. Just pair the three and you should be good to go.

2017-09-25 11_03_28-5886[1].png
2017-09-25 11_05_15-6555021[1].png
2017-09-25 11_06_12-6556044[1].png

I think (but am not certain) that you need to install the Garmin Smartphone Link app on your phone in order to exchange contact info.

I think (but am not certain) that you need to install the Garmin Smartphone Link app on your phone in order to exchange contact info.

Just for the heck of it, I deleted the Smartphone app on my cell. I still have access to the phone book.
I did a reboot of both the gps and the cell, just to be sure.

iPhone iOS 11 and Nav VI

While we are here about the Nav VI, I too had trouble wrestling this beast to work properly. (I pride myself as a bit of a techno-geek.)

While I am able to link up the iPhone (with the phone icon showing at the lower-bottom of the main screen) and I was able to dial out. But I am not able to converse and hear the other end of the call. This is very puzzling.

For the headset, I am using the SRC on my Schuberth C3.

(and don't get me started with the bike's built-in BT hub...)

Just for the heck of it, I deleted the Smartphone app on my cell. I still have access to the phone book.
I did a reboot of both the gps and the cell, just to be sure.

That's a basic function of the Garmin/BMW-Navigator phone link. It should also display missed calls, recent calls, etc.. once it hooks up to the phone. It isn't necessary to have the Smartphone app to do these.

FWIW - the Smartphone app will not talk to a Navigator IV. Even though the Bluetooth phone link works just fine. I assume the firmware on the NAV-IV isn't capable of receiving and transmitting data needed to the Smartphone. Does anyone know if the NAV-V works?

Not on a Navigator IV and an Android. Basic phone functions are in the firmware of the Navigator. They don't need the Smartphone software to transfer the contact info stored in the phone for telephony. It appears what it does enable (on compatible devices - which the NAV-IV isn't) is transfer of traffic and weather data, and options $$ like speed cameras, etc. Things may be different on the iOS version.

It's of no use with a Navigator IV (and I assume the III) - so I'm deleting it from my Android phone.

I'm not sure which Garmin Zumo the Nav 6 is equivalent to, but you can get a lot of Zumo help at the Zumo Forum.

http://www.zumoforums.com/

It appears to be zūmo 590LM - $799 new, Amazon Prime has some refurbished ones for $499 with a 2 year warranty (standard warranty from Garmin is 1 year. Dunno what BMW's warranty is - I know if purchased with a new bike - its the term of the bike warranty.)

Back