• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Charging Battery Through Powerlet Port

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
Is there any reason why I can't/shouldn't/wouldn't want to do the above with a Battery Tender Junior? It works like a charm on my 1100S however I can't seem to do the same on the K1200S. Has it got something to do with the CAN-bus system?

Thanks in advance, folks.

Last edited:
On our 05's, had to turn key on to initiate outlet, plug in charger, then turn key off. I have the BMW cube charger and it will not initiate w/out key on
The outlet shuts down after a short period...it's why some folks aftermarket lights stay on for a few seconds if they used that as a relay trigger point. A SAE lead from battery takes that dance away on Battery Tender models.

I attached an SAE lead to the battery but all that extra weight is bugging me. :laugh

I tried the key on - plug in - key off thing but, as Steve points out, the port turned off after a few seconds. I guess I'll have to contend with the simple solution.

Thanks guys. :thumb

There are a couple of other options beyond the dedicated SAE connector wired directly to the battery.

1) BMW produced chargers that kept the CANBUS from shutting down. Mine is 2007 vintage but it is just a straight charger and does not have the smart charging technology of the Battery Tender. There might be newer models that are more sophisticated.
2) You can replace or add another Powerlet/BMW style connector that goes straight to the battery. Powerlet makes several kits for this. Another advantage is that you lose the amperage limit of the normal CANBUS outlet which allows you to use heated gear that exceeds the CANBUS controlled limited. Downside of course is that everything will continue to draw after the key is off.

On my GS, I put a plug on the very long Garmin cord of my GPS and snaked it down to my CANBUS plug below the seat because it is not useful for charging/heated gear to me. It stays plugged in. That way my GPS will not continue to draw and I don't have to turn it off and for quick stops the GPS remains powered for making adjustments with the key off. If you added a second plug (some bikes provide space for it and can be provisioned for dual outlets) you could use it for this purpose.

Now go riding since the fires have gone out in BC!

+1 - bought one a few years ago from Revzilla for my 07RT and use it through the rear powerlet just fine.

Wasn't there some special instructions on that charger- to go from "regular" charge mode to "canbus" charge (through powerlet)? As I recall, some had some confusing instructions.
OM

Wasn't there some special instructions on that charger- to go from "regular" charge mode to "canbus" charge (through powerlet)? As I recall, some had some confusing instructions.
OM

You turn it on with the wires shorted for 10 seconds. After that it changes modes.
Just switched it to charge my ‘zuki.

—ChrisD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You turn it on with the wires shorted for 10 seconds. After that it changes modes.
Just switched it to charge my ‘zuki.

—ChrisD

Beyond that, the mode indication was part of the confusion.
OM

Like most things today a careful read of the manual can be the most confusing part of using something!

It does tell you how but not as clearly as it could.

I’ll admit. It’s confusing.
In CANBus mode, it does a weird flicker of the yellow lights every 10 seconds. Regular mode, not.
In CANbus mode, it constantly catches my attention.

Not putting those mode lights on the front saved them $0.80 per unit. SMH.

—ChrisD

Like most things today a careful read of the manual can be the most confusing part of using something!

It does tell you how but not as clearly as it could.

I’ll admit. It’s confusing.
In CANBus mode, it does a weird flicker of the yellow lights every 10 seconds. Regular mode, not.
In CANbus mode, it constantly catches my attention.

Not putting those mode lights on the front saved them $0.80 per unit. SMH.

—ChrisD

Sounds like you guys have a good understanding of the charger :thumb
Maybe the two of you could get together and post a DIY for the forum?
Gary

Back