• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Military Purchase Program

jbredux

Does anyone know the reason why BMW offers a $750 military purchase discount to employees of the Veterans Administration along with members of the real military services. Although I am an ex-member of the military, I am not eligible for the discount due to being out of the military for more than 12 months and I am OK with that. However I find it curious and irritating that VA employees are entitled to the discount considering that the VA does more to screw over veterans than any other Agency.

Does anyone know the reason why BMW offers a $750 military purchase discount to employees of the Veterans Administration along with members of the real military services. Although I am an ex-member of the military, I am not eligible for the discount due to being out of the military for more than 12 months and I am OK with that. However I find it curious and irritating that VA employees are entitled to the discount considering that the VA does more to screw over veterans than any other Agency.

Only BMW knows, as it's their promotion. I guess they didn't have the same view of the VA as you do. I also see that $750 is the top end of the discount (for S-series only). For an R-series bike, for example, it's $400.

I find it curious and irritating that VA employees are entitled to the discount considering that the VA does more to screw over veterans than any other Agency.

I drive veterans to medical appointments in the Boston area, and have frequent positive contact with VA employees at VA hospitals. I think painting nearly 400,000 VA employees with the same broad brush ("VA does more to screw over veterans") is logically flawed.

Go back in...

Didn't think so! (Same here)

There ARE openings (always a need) for volunteers at your local VA facility.

I can not speak for BMW nor do I want to get into the quagmire of how VA screws things up.

In general many companys that target government employees will focus solely on active employees. In many case these programs get expanded to agencies related to the companies primary target to expand the customer base, sales using the same basic pitch and system to adminster the company program.

I have family members that work for agencies that work closely with the military. They have done tours in fun places like Afghanistan. Stateside, sometimes companies extend military discounts and many times not. For me, I let the company figure out how they are going to run their businesses. I am just glad to see them reach out to active military and sometimes to people serving in roles like my family members.

YMMV

I drive veterans to medical appointments in the Boston area, and have frequent positive contact with VA employees at VA hospitals. I think painting nearly 400,000 VA employees with the same broad brush ("VA does more to screw over veterans") is logically flawed.

The IRS has some employees that are sometimes helpful and pleasant but that does not mean that I want to get tangled up with that Agency as part of my financial planning process so I would have to paint the IRS with the same "broad brush" that I used on the VA. I am truly thankful that I do not have to rely on the VA for medical assistance and I feel sorry for those that do. The VA's mistreatment of veterans is legendary.

I have family members that work for agencies that work closely with the military. They have done tours in fun places like Afghanistan. Stateside, sometimes companies extend military discounts and many times not. For me, I let the company figure out how they are going to run their businesses. I am just glad to see them reach out to active military and sometimes to people serving in roles like my family members.

YMMV
I think it is great that BMW reaches out to active participants in military activities. That is why I am confused about why they include the VA in the promotion.

Just because an agency is horribly (but deliberately) underfunded, and mismanaged at the top does not make the grunts in the field bad or culpable. You can apply this to many things including some BMW dealerships.

Keep your eyes on our US Territory Puerto Rico, for example.

I guess I need to go down to the VA emergency room to get my tongue stitched up from biting my tongue so hard over and over.....It's great to come on here and flame anything and everything one can by hiding behind anonymity. It is so meaningful that way and one's words have value and merit. For me, the Docs from Vanderbilt have a waiting list in most every clinic in Nashville, Chattanooga, and Murfreesboro. It's not that most of us that are waiting for their care have no other choice; but because of the great medicine that they practice...........It's a shame that some guys are not getting what they so dearly earned from the VA; but for the first time in years and years change is truly happening. Perhaps with some maturing of age the op will finally get some of the help that he has earned. Or did he?...........God bless......Dennis

As a Viet Nam era vet, I'm more perturbed that BMW in such promotions overlooks the contributions of those who have left active duty ...

Last edited:
As a Viet Nam era vet, I'm more perturbed that BMW overlooks the contributions of those who have left active duty for such promotions...

I share these feelings and they are a large part of what provoked me to make the original post. I too am a Vietnam era vet and proudly served in Vietnam with the 1st Cav Division. In addition to Vietnam, there are many Afghanistan and Gulf War and Iraq War vets that fall outside BMW's Military Purchase Program. To have a vast bureaucracy such as the VA included in the program rubs salt in the wound. I am sure there are many fine people in the VA doing good work (there probably are good folks doing good work at the IRS and other bureaucracies also) but it doesn't seem to me that those folks should benefit from a Military Purchase Program.

Anyway, I made my deal and got my bike and I am not jonesing for any additional kickback. I just think the BMW Military Purchase Program should be limited to the military or be renamed.

I'm a Vietnam veteran too and have had considerable recent contact with the local VA medical center. Despite some of the negative news, medical care offered at this VA center is absolutely excellent and I'm glad to know that the employees are included in this BMW promotion.

Back