• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Guy in Maryland

Hello, my name is Jim and I am from the Middle of Maryland. I'm not yet a BMW owner but I have a big soft spot for airheads (there would be one in my garage right now if I had the space for a third motorcycle) and I'm contemplating whether an F800GT would adequately replace my current main mount (a 2009 Suzuki GSF1250 equipped for touring) that is getting much heavier, taller, and more top heavy as the years pass. I'm hoping to make some long rides now that I've retired and the child has graduated college, and I look forward to attending some of the rallies around the country.

Welcome Jim

Always good to have new members posting in the forums. Welcome to the forums... welcome to the club! Go getcha a beemer and enjoy the ride. In the immortal words of Dutch (Arnold Swartzenegger) in the movie Predator, "Do it! Do it NOW!"

Thank you RangerReece. Truth is, other than airheads for a vintage bike I never considered a BMW before. Then I started researching bikes that might replace the Suzuki. Compared to my Suzuki I wanted lighter weight, as low or preferably a lower seat height, a low center of gravity, decent alternator output, something that can haul a good amount of weight, and something capable of having hard bags fitted (OEM or aftermarket). It ended up being a list of one - the F800GT. I am trying hard to resist the siren call ... :)

Local club BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington (BMWBMW) is pretty active - check them out @ bmwbmw.org.
I am in Carroll County, north of Westminster. Welcome!

Thank you mvscorpio and rangerreece. I have to modify my introduction now - today I signed the papers to purchase an F800GT that I will take delivery of next week. I found it really can replace my Suzuki GSF1250 (okay, the fact that the Suzuki was totaled during a head-on into a guardrail last week did enter into the decision). Who would have thought that joining BMWMOA because of the great magazine and reading about the great BMW rallies would lead so far so fast ... :)

Glad your ok. Enjoy the new ride, ride safe sir, those guard rails are hell on motorbikes. I’m glad your enjoying the club. Do try to get to a getaway or rally, get plugged into a local charter Club and get engaged. Like any club, you get out of it what you put into it.

I rode a 1997 Bandit (with ABS) before turning to BMW. I liked the Bandit. Good bike, but BMWs are wonderful long ride machines. I owned Oilheads and Airheads and like riding both. Post a picture of your F800GT when it comes in. I bet you can barely sleep as the day approaches. :)

I rode a 1997 Bandit (with ABS) before turning to BMW. I liked the Bandit. Good bike, but BMWs are wonderful long ride machines. I owned Oilheads and Airheads and like riding both. Post a picture of your F800GT when it comes in. I bet you can barely sleep as the day approaches. :)

Will do bluehole - I pick it up tomorrow!

Okay bluehole, if I have this posting photos thing figured out the pics should be here!

Really liking the white color now ... seems a lot of people who see it do too.

Attachments

• 006c.jpg
    006c.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 005c.jpg
    005c.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 43
White looks good! Sharp bike. What are your thoughts now that you have had it a couple of weeks.

White looks good! Sharp bike. What are your thoughts now that you have had it a couple of weeks.

I would say the white has really grown on me, to the point where if I had the choice of all the colors the F800GT has been available in it would come down to the white or the blue, and I think the white would still win out. The blue is nice, but the white seems to elicit a "wow!" from people when they see it, and they like it. I took it to a local bike night last Friday and the reaction was quite positive (with a few "lustful" comments thrown in - a couple of people would definitely have been happy to take it home). I wasn't expecting that, so apparently the white really is attractive.

As for the bike itself, I love the lighter weight (some 60 pounds or more) and much lower center of gravity compared to my previous bike. Despite the seat allegedly being higher (per published specs) than the seat on my previous bike that may have turned out to be a function of how BMW measures seat height because it is in fact lower (well, my feet reach the ground better), which is good because of my short 30" inseam. The seat seems comfortable so far but we will see when I go on a typical-for-me 200-400 mile day ride. The sound of the motor, despite being a parallel twin like that in my '15 Triumph Bonneville, isn't as nice as the Bonnie but it is starting to grow on me. Everything else about the bike is a winner - I love it.

The only downside? I have taken some "abuse" from a friend who claims I've turned in my "blue collar" credentials by buying a BMW. But I have assured her that when she drives by some dive diner in the future and sees a white BMW bike parked outside it will be mine. :)

I like white on a motorcycle. It is different and I think it looks good. Earlier this year, a nearby dealer had a white R1200R on the floor and I thought it was very nice. I can appreciate a lighter bike. You lose something in the Bells & Whistles department, but gain a lot in responsiveness/handling. I hope it serves you well on longer rides. It is cooling down so you may be hard pressed to get one in this year.

bluehole - fortunately I've always been a year-round rider so a little chill in the air won't stop me (though I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of the parts necessary to wire up a fuse block for my heated jacket liner for really cold days). As long as the roads aren't snow, ice or salt covered I'll ride.

Back