• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Michelin Pilot Road 4's for a '99 R1100RT

dpeterson1952

My '99 R1100RT takes a 160/60 ZR18 rear tire, which Michelin still makes in the PR3, but not in the PR4. What issues will I face if I mount the 170/60 XR18?

The link gives me the raw numbers about the differences in tire dimensions, which indicates the tire is a bit taller and wider, and may effect the speedo readings (more than it already is), but it doesn't tell me if the tire will actually fit on the bike.

I need to know how the tire will actually perform on the bike. Will it rub anywhere? Will it effect handling? Will it fit on the rim? I'm vertically challenged; will it be taller?

Doing a little math, the 160/60 calculates to 96mm tall from the bead to the tread, where the 170/60 is 102mm. So there is ~1/4" difference. The 170 is 10mm wider across the carcass than the 160, or ~3/8", putting the one edge 3/16" closer to the swingarm. Will it fit? It depends. Does your bike still have the spacer? I suggest getting a small scrap piece of wood and checking.

Jumping in here

Since we are talking about the Pilot Road 4's, what's the difference between the Road 4 and the Road 4 GT series. I'm thinking the GT series is for 2 up + gear riding with a heavier weight rating. Trying to figure out which model to purchase for my 2016 RS as I rarely ride two up.

That is indeed the situation, load rating. Thing is, there are fitments that appear only in the GT series, but not in the regular, and vice versa.

Back