Thread: 2016 r1200rtw

2016 r1200rtw

My 2016 R1200RT has a subtle surge at steady throttle around 4000 RPM's. The bike is completely stock and this feels like a lean surge which as I said is subtle. I had the dealer re-flash the ECU which had no effect so I am assuming this is fuel mapping which is emissions related.

Has anyone here installed a Dynojet Power Commander 5 on a wet head R1200RTW?? In looking at the Dyno Jet fuel program for this bike they richened up this area and used a different fuel program for each cylinder (2 separate maps).

You might find the cause with a GS-911 type tool. Something is not right as this is definitely not normal. A Power Commander is a waste of money as the BMW's sophisticated fueling system should work correctly. Mine certainly does, as does pretty much everyone I know with a WC boxer.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

2016 r1200rt

Thanks. The 911 tool is a scan tool correct? Wouldn't the BMW dealer have been able to see if there was a problem as I assume they have the BMW scan tool???

Yes, the dealer should have been able to diagnose the problem. Since they didn't solve your problem, you either need to;

1) complain to them and try to compel them to actually find the root cause and fix your issue
    2) go to a different (more competent) dealer
    3) take matters into you own hands
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

I don't agree. Every GSw I've ridden has a lean spot in that RPM range. I'm positive it is emission related because that one of the testing data points. It is subtle, but it's noticeable if you're a sensitive type of rider. Others in other forums have complained about it too. There are several aftermarket "fixes" available if you so desire.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
    (Who watches the watchers)

I have a PC V with dyno tune on my 15 RT.

I have the full setup. Dual autotune, PC V and the Pod 300 for display. These bikes run VERY lean. I have had two dyno session with the bike and it has been fattened up to 13.5 in a lot of the power ranges and even into 13.2 at high TP or WOT. The stock is running at 14.7 or so which is lean especially at higher throttle positions.

Your bike will not surge, will use a little more gas but not a lot, and will run cooler, with a punch that can be felt.

This was with a map from DynoJet and then the tune on the dyno difference. The map I was running was hand tweaked from DynoJet and them the pull was from the dyno pulls. No huge difference in power but like I say not running lean was what I was after. There is not a lot to get out of these motors. With a FULL exhaust and headers you might see 2-3 HP and that is it. These are just a very efficient motor with little gains in power but big gains in cooling the motor with good AFR and drive ability from smooth AFR/throttle response.

Last edited by LFarling; 10-04-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

Talking Thanks

Very interesting LFarling. To your point of the stock map running at 14.7/1 AF. 14.7/1 is the stoic number (most efficient burn) for straight gasoline. That number has shifted down (richer) to around 14.2/1 for the 10% alcohol blends most commonly available at the pump now. I used to find that when dyno tuning that max power was at 13/1 to 13.2/1 on non blended pump gas. Because of the shift to alcohol blends The max power point has shifted down to 12.8/1 to 13/1. I usually tune with a DJ PC5 for 13.8/1 for the light cruising throttle positions and progressively richer at 60-100% throttle. There is no substitute for a good dyno tune when using a PC5 on a load control dyno to get a baseline and then use the DJ autotune module to correct for variances in pump fuel and other variables. I intend to change the muffler to a Akrapovic and install a PC5 system this winter. I don't expect anything from the muffler change other than lighter weight and a little louder sound plus a better looking muffler. MY experience on late model bikes with stock factory exhaust is that they are tuned lean in the lower throttle positions and rich at full throttle at upper range of RPM's.

How can you change the map, it's not hard-coded into the onboard computer?

mnap changes

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    How can you change the map, it's not hard-coded into the onboard computer?
    We are not talking about changing the BMW fuel maps in the bikes ECU. We are talking about adding a aftermarket fuel controller module from DynoJet That has programmable fuel maps that override the stock BMW maps in the bikes ECU. The device is a Power Commander 5 that is connected into the stock BMW harnesses. It is fully programmable to either lean or richen the fuel air mixture an different throttle settings and RPM's. It will come with fuel maps pre-loaded by DynoJet that they created by running a BMW in their own dynamometer test facility.

Quote Originally Posted by dynajohn View Post
    Very interesting LFarling. To your point of the stock map running at 14.7/1 AF. 14.7/1 is the stoic number (most efficient burn) for straight gasoline. That number has shifted down (richer) to around 14.2/1 for the 10% alcohol blends most commonly available at the pump now. I used to find that when dyno tuning that max power was at 13/1 to 13.2/1 on non blended pump gas. Because of the shift to alcohol blends The max power point has shifted down to 12.8/1 to 13/1. I usually tune with a DJ PC5 for 13.8/1 for the light cruising throttle positions and progressively richer at 60-100% throttle. There is no substitute for a good dyno tune when using a PC5 on a load control dyno to get a baseline and then use the DJ autotune module to correct for variances in pump fuel and other variables. I intend to change the muffler to a Akrapovic and install a PC5 system this winter. I don't expect anything from the muffler change other than lighter weight and a little louder sound plus a better looking muffler. MY experience on late model bikes with stock factory exhaust is that they are tuned lean in the lower throttle positions and rich at full throttle at upper range of RPM's.
    Your information is dead on to what Jeff at PADyno told me. We talked and while I did want all the performance I could get I decided I wanted a conservative tune including cruise. While I do use WOT a bit cruise was of more importance to me and I wanted the bike to run cooler.

Jeff also indicated power was made at 13.2 or so.

Since I have run PC V or power commanders for years on many bikes with dyno tunes all of this while interesting was not too hard to understand. Of course 13 years ago it was very interesting to me as I was new to the concept. I am very happy with the PC V in this application. However as wit anything on this bike install takes some time to do right and tuck wires and make a neat job of it.

He was impressed with the bike and it's output and that it was very close to the tradition wheel to flywheel loss in HP and TQ. He even felt that BMW may underrate their motors?

Also will disclose I have a K&N air filter in but I do not think that has much to do with anything.

I lust after a aftermarket can but can not justifie it. For 800 bucks I can stay and buy a lot of gas on a few trips so I keep looking at that HUGE chrome can.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

2016 r1200rt

Thanks for the additional information LFarling. I have been using Power Commanders since my first fuel injected bike (99 Honda XX). I will get back with you next spring when I will have installed a PC5 and Akrapovic muffler. Will have bike first dyno tested stock, then add PC5 and dyno adjust the DJ maps, then install slip on and test again.
    John