Thread: Lovebugs

Lovebugs

Here in central and east Texas we are having one of our sporadic outbreaks of what are referred to as "lovebugs". Not being a native of the region, I assume that name arises from the fact that mating pairs fly around coupled together as they exchange genetic material in what counts for sex among insects.

On the upside, they don't bite or sting, don't move very fast, and are considered beneficial insects. On the downside, there must be trillions of them flying around.

I made the mistake of going for a ride yesterday. Below is a photo of my headlight protector after about an hour of riding. They splatter everywhere, even on the back side of my windscreen. The smell of lovebugs grilling on hot exhaust pipes can put even me off my feed. My radiators collected another few kilograms the things.

You can't beat the open road!

Cheers, Ken

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg
    2015 R1200GS

They are terrible! Hope they die off soon.
    2016 R1200 GSA (Red)

That is amazing.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Whoa! I have never seen anything like this. Does this happen on a regular basis? How long does this go on?
    1972 R75/5
    1993 R100R

Lower Alabama, Florida Panhandle, the swarm in the fall, and sometimes a minor swarm in the spring. We are in that season now as well, but not nearly as bad as what your experiencing.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Quote Originally Posted by bluehole View Post
    Whoa! I have never seen anything like this. Does this happen on a regular basis? How long does this go on?
    We seem to get bad swarms every few years, either in the spring or fall. They can last for several weeks. All of the rain from Harvey may have made things worse this year.
    2015 R1200GS

Make sure you wash them off immediately, they are highly acidic and will eat through your paint! Keep a good coat of wax on everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
    Make sure you wash them off immediately, they are highly acidic and will eat through your paint! Keep a good coat of wax on everything!
    Roger that. See Figure 4 here.
    2015 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by kbowman View Post
    We seem to get bad swarms every few years, either in the spring or fall. They can last for several weeks. All of the rain from Harvey may have made things worse this year.
    They are worse towards the coast if you can believe that is possible. I used to spray PAM cooking spray on every forward facing surface except windshields for years on my Jeeps and trucks when I lived further south near Houston..washes right off.
    But as mentioned, remove ASAP as they will put the hurt on painted surfaces when left too long

We drove H's FJ with its flat profile to a funeral near Houston Saturday and got hammered in daylight run ,peaking near Sealy and I-10.Spent a good amount of my Sunday cleaning the funk off The radiator looked like yours
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Never knew about them until I rode from the Natchez Trace to New Orleans. Hit them on the way down and back. Best thing you can do is ride through a torrential downpour, which also happened on the way down and back. Helmet and bike were like new again after briefly turning from BMW blue to love bug gut black.

Thanks for the radiator reminder. Rode through them near Huntsville and Bryan/College Station on the way to and from Arkansas last week. I cleaned the screens and the paint, but didn't hose out the radiator.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA 2013 K1600GT

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    They are down her in S.Florida as well. Not as bad as further north near Lake Okeechobee but still a PITA. Never seen them as bad as in the OP's foto though....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA