• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacing the K1300 S clutch pack

hmeiseles

After 85000 miles on my K1300s I made the decision to change the clutch pack with a package made by Barrett. Now to do the job, which looks less complicated than replacing the clutch on my R1100RT. I need to acquire the two BMW tools (the alignment pin, and the driver lock). Does anyone have either of these used tools they would care to sell? If you do please let me know your price via a PM. Remember the cheapest part on a BMW is the rider.

Thanks
Howard

Bought the wrench...

...but none of the other tools. Wrench was $60 from (Max BMW?).

I did not buy the 2 or 3 tools needed when you replace the ENTIRE clutch (basket+stack), which I now feel was a mistake. The baskets will be damaged by the clutch pack sliding to engage/disengage, now that I’ve been into mine twice (08 k1200gt) I’ve got to say that replacing the basket is not to be ignored. The added tools are for tightening the oil pump’s chain and pre-loading the starter’s gear (I think.) The chain tool might be home made out of welding rod, the other looks like it’s buy-only.

Be patient stacking the plates into the basket, there is truly only one way they’ll fit and they will stay together as a stack. (I stupidly displaced the outer 2 or 3 plates one notch in the basket because I couldn’t figure out how to load the basket. Do not do.)

It is my belief, and only mine, that replacing the aluminum screws for the cover is not strictly necessary. They do not appear to be torque-to-yield, but I get that aluminum cracks so perhaps if your screws are old it might be cheap insurance. I will say that I get “fizzy in my pants” (Top Gear) every time I’ve replaced that cover, as it just f%^&ing fits perfectly. No glue or goop, a paper gasket that’s laughably thin and fragile. And I’ve never leaked a drop. So needless to say, I follow the tightening schedule like a fanatic to preserve this.

Finally, I’ll say I love my FatCat slipper clutch. Got tired of biting the windshield with any momentary loss of right-hand concentration. Don’t think they’re making them anymore, but worth investigation. (Info@fat-cat.eu). If I had to choose between this and a full basket+stack replacement...I’d die. That’d be a very tough choice, especially given (my opinion) that BMW’s contractor cuts the plates with a water-jet or EDM thus insuring the perfectly sharp corners will scour the basket to death. (Barrett doesn’t, or they grind off those corners. My opinion: this saves the galling slide.)

Conclusion: I’m not sure you need those tools. A screwdriver works for the crankshaft lock, and the other tools won’t be used if the basket remains in the bike. Disassemble the clutch in place, reload with new stack, put the big core in the middle, put the spring back on, done. Buy the big wrench, good lighting, comfy cardboard seat, good tunes, and you’ll be done in no time. Ok, “no time” + worrying time. (BTW, the big wrenches come up on eBay now and again.)

Back