• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil level indicator seems worthless.

brucepatt

They're not exactly idiot lights, but the info displayed on the dash of my 2016 RT could be a close second. Current gripe: oil level. Through the sight glass it's exactly in the middle. The instruments says ---. Other times it reads OK. I know: ignore the indicator and see for myself. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Wait .... do you mean to say that BMW has put an electronic wiz bang on a motorcycle that ........ gasp ...... doesn't work correctly? Looks like the guy (or gal) who designed the grandly successful fuel strip has been promoted to oil level gauge engineer obviously in an effort to duplicate prior success.

They're not exactly idiot lights, but the info displayed on the dash of my 2016 RT could be a close second. Current gripe: oil level. Through the sight glass it's exactly in the middle. The instruments says ---. Other times it reads OK. I know: ignore the indicator and see for myself. Thanks for listening.
2016-----warranty issue.
OM

The oil level only reads when the bike is stopped, level and at full operating temp.
If the engine isn't hot it will read ---

It is working as designed.

The oil level only reads when the bike is stopped, level and at full operating temp.

Is there somewhere in the manual that says that? I would like to know for sure. With the oil at a proper level in my Wethead I will get anywhere from an "ok" to a "no reading ---" to a "check". I have done that on the same ride.

Right, close to worthless and definitely an answer to a question never asked! The site gauge works just fine.

Wait .... do you mean to say that BMW has put an electronic wiz bang on a motorcycle that ........ gasp ...... doesn't work correctly? Looks like the guy (or gal) who designed the grandly successful fuel strip has been promoted to oil level gauge engineer obviously in an effort to duplicate prior success.

That's funny!! :laugh:laugh:laugh

Ironic, and probably true, but still funny.

FYI, oil level in sight glass should ideally be 3/4 - not 1/2 (and 'normal operating temp' occurs in your driveway - not during or just after a 20 mile ride - it's a tad above normal at that point).

My dealer doesn't know why is shows "_____". They started up a new bike and it showed the same thing. I didn't see anything in the manual. Sometimes it reads "OK" when I am going 80 mph down the road -- not stopped, level and at "normal temperature". BTW does "level" mean on the center stand or just on flat ground on the side stand?

My dealer doesn't know why is shows "_____". They started up a new bike and it showed the same thing. I didn't see anything in the manual. Sometimes it reads "OK" when I am going 80 mph down the road -- not stopped, level and at "normal temperature". BTW does "level" mean on the center stand or just on flat ground on the side stand?

Your dealer is discouragingly ill informed. When it shows ----- it means the parameters for taking a reading have not been met. On the sidestand is not level.

FYI, oil level in sight glass should ideally be 3/4 - not 1/2 (and 'normal operating temp' occurs in your driveway - not during or just after a 20 mile ride - it's a tad above normal at that point).

Where did you get the 3/4 'ideally'? I've found zero difference in shifting w/ oil at the mid point or all the way to the top, so I aim for the top now which adds a little more volume which, if no real downside, will offer slightly longer service life all else being equal. And in the rider manual there is no ambiguity about how to check oil, and clearly contradicts 'occurs in your driveway'. It's warm it up completely, then put the bike on the level on the center stand, wait 5 minutes and check. This standardizes the procedure:
Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 7.45.44 AM.jpg

Where did you get the 3/4 'ideally'? I've found zero difference in shifting w/ oil at the mid point or all the way to the top, so I aim for the top now which adds a little more volume which, if no real downside, will offer slightly longer service life all else being equal. And in the rider manual there is no ambiguity about how to check oil, and clearly contradicts 'occurs in your driveway'. It's warm it up completely, then put the bike on the level on the center stand, wait 5 minutes and check. This standardizes the procedure:
View attachment 64090

Owner's Manual is hopelessly ambiguous.

"Longer Journey?" What's that - 15 miles, 1,500 miles or 5,000 miles???

"Engine is warm?" What temp is that???

"Normal operating temp?" Never defined!!!

I've dealt with two BMW Master Technicians over the years - that's where "3/4" came from, after a 5 minute warm-up on the center stand in the driveway (or any level surface), followed by a 5 minute 'pooling' of oil in the sump.

Had consistently good experience ( 7 yrs.) with that method keeping false oil alerts from activating.

Last edited:
Owner's Manual is hopelessly ambiguous.

Nonsense-the message is ultra simple: get the bike up to full operating temperature--happens every single time you take a 'longer journey'. That means NOT warming the thing up in your driveway unless you are willing to sit there until the cooling fan kicks in. This is why I always check the site glass after a significant ride which unequivocally gets the bike up to full operating temperature. Then wait 5 minutes--that is also completely unambiguous.

Nonsense-the message is ultra simple: get the bike up to full operating temperature--happens every single time you take a 'longer journey'. That means NOT warming the thing up in your driveway unless you are willing to sit there until the cooling fan kicks in. This is why I always check the site glass after a significant ride which unequivocally gets the bike up to full operating temperature. Then wait 5 minutes--that is also completely unambiguous.

Ditto. I thought the manual was pretty clear too.

Normal Operating Temperature for our 2016 R1200RS

Ladies, Gentlemen,

Using the information available from the dash read out, about 175~180 seems to be the "normal" operating temperature for our 2016 R1200RS.

I have on more than one occasion checked the engine temperature while riding with the fan on and off.

That tells me that once the engine temperature reaches 175~180 it is at normal operating temperature regardless of how far I've ridden or long the engine has been running.

Also, the engine is at normal operating temperature before the fan comes on. The fan comes on to bring the temperature back down to normal.

Per an article in the BMW Motorcycle Magazine, Sandy Cohen the editor, filling a wet head R bike with oil to the top of the circle does affect the clutch and the horse power of the bike.

Deryle Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

Back