• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

long life

EUGENE

Okay you F people out there here one for you. Omega Man ,Royce, Danham, Daboo and all others. To all 650, 700 and 800s. S, ST, GT, GSs.
Who has the high mileage without major engine problems?
List year ,model, miles and any major engines repairs.:wave EUGENE

Annie has 52k on her 650 and 40k on her 800. Some issues with a stator on the 800 and weeping water pump on the 650.

I bet the person to ask is BMW MOA Ambassador Muriel Farrington. She zoomed past 300K miles in the Spring of 2017.

Mine only has 26K+/-, so there has to be someone with waaaaay more.

BTW, I have had zero engine problems, but that headlight bulb replacement was a MAJOR headache! Surely the BMW engineers could have figured an easier way to design that set-up?

I've only put on about 20K on mine so far. No issues. Just tires and oil. Normal wear and tear. While I've done a couple long trips, I tend to like going home to be with my wife (who doesn't ride). So I'm probably not a high mileage rider. I just ride all the time. And since I retired last April, my long commuting rides are over, except for trips to the prison.

There was a member on the F800Riders forum who reached over 100K. I remember him because he described how he replaced the drive belt without adjusting the tension afterwards. I don't believe he had any issues either.

A lot of people think of motorcycles as being fragile vehicles. For them, 10K is a high mileage vehicle. I just shake my head in wonder at that mindset. You buy a motorcycle like a sport touring bike, or adventure bike, to go somewhere with them. You expect the bike won't fail on you while on your trips...and that means you put on miles. Probably far more than 10K. Modern motorcycles should easily be able to exceed 100K without issues, if they are treated well. Not babied. Just treated like you want them to last.

I look at the F800GT and I'm impressed. The panels are designed to come off without needing a secret schematic to keep from breaking plastic tabs. The routine maintenance items are out where you can get to them easily without even needing a service manual for instructions. Even the air intake impressed me. After my two trips this summer, I found bug guts in places I didn't know bugs could reach. But my air filter was still clean. That really surprised me! The rear tire comes off with only needing to remove a few bolts that are easily accessed. The brake pads are easy to get to for replacement. And while I'd like a cheaper alternative to the drive belt that I'll need to order soon, that's a small price IMO for a superb bike. It just seems to be an elegant design in its simplicity.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GT is the last bike I own. I love what it does now. And I love how light it is. It is a bike I can use now that fits all my wanderlust desires, and is one I can age into. By the time it becomes too heavy, it'll probably be time to start driving the car. (I have a perfectly good Subaru Outback that sits unused in the driveway. :D )

Chris

BTW, I have had zero engine problems, but that headlight bulb replacement was a MAJOR headache! Surely the BMW engineers could have figured an easier way to design that set-up?

Replace with cyclops. I've done both at 18000 now at 62000 and no issues

I've only put on about 20K on mine so far. No issues. Just tires and oil. Normal wear and tear. While I've done a couple long trips, I tend to like going home to be with my wife (who doesn't ride). So I'm probably not a high mileage rider. I just ride all the time. And since I retired last April, my long commuting rides are over, except for trips to the prison

There was a member on the F800Riders forum who reached over 100K. I remember him because he described how he replaced the drive belt without adjusting the tension afterwards. I don't believe he had any issues either.

A lot of people think of motorcycles as being fragile vehicles. For them, 10K is a high mileage vehicle. I just shake my head in wonder at that mindset. You buy a motorcycle like a sport touring bike, or adventure bike, to go somewhere with them. You expect the bike won't fail on you while on your trips...and that means you put on miles. Probably far more than 10K. Modern motorcycles should easily be able to exceed 100K without issues, if they are treated well. Not babied. Just treated like you want them to last.

I look at the F800GT and I'm impressed. The panels are designed to come off without needing a secret schematic to keep from breaking plastic tabs. The routine maintenance items are out where you can get to them easily without even needing a service manual for instructions. Even the air intake impressed me. After my two trips this summer, I found bug guts in places I didn't know bugs could reach. But my air filter was still clean. That really surprised me! The rear tire comes off with only needing to remove a few bolts that are easily accessed. The brake pads are easy to get to for replacement. And while I'd like a cheaper alternative to the drive belt that I'll need to order soon, that's a small price IMO for a superb bike. It just seems to be an elegant design in its simplicity.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GT is the last bike I own. I love what it does now. And I love how light it is. It is a bike I can use now that fits all my wanderlust desires, and is one I can age into. By the time it becomes too heavy, it'll probably be time to start driving the car. (I have a perfectly good Subaru Outback that sits unused in the driveway. :D )

Chris
I hope the prison thing is just visiting or just volunteering not how was your weekend fine only x more to go:)

I hope the prison thing is just visiting or just volunteering not how was your weekend fine only x more to go:)

:D I think I'm a "lifer". :D I've been doing prison ministry since 2002. I'm serving in the Kairos prison ministry, sponsoring a monthly outreach concert and overseeing and teaching in the TUMI (The Urban Ministry Institute) seminary program in two prisons. I guess I could also include going on international prison ministry trips but I don't ride my motorcycle to those. :D

Chris

2009 model F650GS, 76,000mi (122,000 km). Replaced original-design stator at about 50k mi. Otherwise, no problems - just closely follow regular scheduled maintenance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have been away for a few days. :wave All BMW models have a few issues but on the whole the Fs are reliable! So it looks like no F900 THIS next year!:lurk:hide

I'm not surprised. By stringing the updates out over a couple years, they keep the media interest up. Release them all at once, and the media hype is over before it started.

An F900 would be interesting...but do I really need it? I'm really happy with the F800GT.

Chris

Back