Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: long life

long life

Okay you F people out there here one for you. Omega Man ,Royce, Danham, Daboo and all others. To all 650, 700 and 800s. S, ST, GT, GSs.
    Who has the high mileage without major engine problems?
    List year ,model, miles and any major engines repairs. EUGENE

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Roy Barns is the man. I'm sure he will chime in.
    Mine is only near 16K.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Mine only has 26K+/-, so there has to be someone with waaaaay more.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Annie has 52k on her 650 and 40k on her 800. Some issues with a stator on the 800 and weeping water pump on the 650.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I bet the person to ask is BMW MOA Ambassador Muriel Farrington. She zoomed past 300K miles in the Spring of 2017.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Those folks with high mileage on their twins are probably out riding.
    Kevin Huddy

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Annie has 52k on her 650 and 40k on her 800. Some issues with a stator on the 800 and weeping water pump on the 650.
    Are these GS models and what year are they?

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Those folks with high mileage on their twins are probably out riding.
    Like Voni on her F800S?

Quote Originally Posted by eugene View Post
    are these gs models and what year are they?
    2011 f650gs

2014 f800gs
    Kevin Huddy

Voni Glaves. 2007 F800S 113,000 miles. No engine problems.

What did you expect?????
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Voni Glaves. 2007 F800S 113,000 miles. No engine problems.

What did you expect?????
    Hi Paul, ride on, ride on!

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Mine only has 26K+/-, so there has to be someone with waaaaay more.
    BTW, I have had zero engine problems, but that headlight bulb replacement was a MAJOR headache! Surely the BMW engineers could have figured an easier way to design that set-up?
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

I've only put on about 20K on mine so far. No issues. Just tires and oil. Normal wear and tear. While I've done a couple long trips, I tend to like going home to be with my wife (who doesn't ride). So I'm probably not a high mileage rider. I just ride all the time. And since I retired last April, my long commuting rides are over, except for trips to the prison.

There was a member on the F800Riders forum who reached over 100K. I remember him because he described how he replaced the drive belt without adjusting the tension afterwards. I don't believe he had any issues either.

A lot of people think of motorcycles as being fragile vehicles. For them, 10K is a high mileage vehicle. I just shake my head in wonder at that mindset. You buy a motorcycle like a sport touring bike, or adventure bike, to go somewhere with them. You expect the bike won't fail on you while on your trips...and that means you put on miles. Probably far more than 10K. Modern motorcycles should easily be able to exceed 100K without issues, if they are treated well. Not babied. Just treated like you want them to last.

I look at the F800GT and I'm impressed. The panels are designed to come off without needing a secret schematic to keep from breaking plastic tabs. The routine maintenance items are out where you can get to them easily without even needing a service manual for instructions. Even the air intake impressed me. After my two trips this summer, I found bug guts in places I didn't know bugs could reach. But my air filter was still clean. That really surprised me! The rear tire comes off with only needing to remove a few bolts that are easily accessed. The brake pads are easy to get to for replacement. And while I'd like a cheaper alternative to the drive belt that I'll need to order soon, that's a small price IMO for a superb bike. It just seems to be an elegant design in its simplicity.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GT is the last bike I own. I love what it does now. And I love how light it is. It is a bike I can use now that fits all my wanderlust desires, and is one I can age into. By the time it becomes too heavy, it'll probably be time to start driving the car. (I have a perfectly good Subaru Outback that sits unused in the driveway. )

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    BTW, I have had zero engine problems, but that headlight bulb replacement was a MAJOR headache! Surely the BMW engineers could have figured an easier way to design that set-up?
    Replace with cyclops. I've done both at 18000 now at 62000 and no issues

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    I've only put on about 20K on mine so far. No issues. Just tires and oil. Normal wear and tear. While I've done a couple long trips, I tend to like going home to be with my wife (who doesn't ride). So I'm probably not a high mileage rider. I just ride all the time. And since I retired last April, my long commuting rides are over, except for trips to the prison

There was a member on the F800Riders forum who reached over 100K. I remember him because he described how he replaced the drive belt without adjusting the tension afterwards. I don't believe he had any issues either.

A lot of people think of motorcycles as being fragile vehicles. For them, 10K is a high mileage vehicle. I just shake my head in wonder at that mindset. You buy a motorcycle like a sport touring bike, or adventure bike, to go somewhere with them. You expect the bike won't fail on you while on your trips...and that means you put on miles. Probably far more than 10K. Modern motorcycles should easily be able to exceed 100K without issues, if they are treated well. Not babied. Just treated like you want them to last.

I look at the F800GT and I'm impressed. The panels are designed to come off without needing a secret schematic to keep from breaking plastic tabs. The routine maintenance items are out where you can get to them easily without even needing a service manual for instructions. Even the air intake impressed me. After my two trips this summer, I found bug guts in places I didn't know bugs could reach. But my air filter was still clean. That really surprised me! The rear tire comes off with only needing to remove a few bolts that are easily accessed. The brake pads are easy to get to for replacement. And while I'd like a cheaper alternative to the drive belt that I'll need to order soon, that's a small price IMO for a superb bike. It just seems to be an elegant design in its simplicity.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GT is the last bike I own. I love what it does now. And I love how light it is. It is a bike I can use now that fits all my wanderlust desires, and is one I can age into. By the time it becomes too heavy, it'll probably be time to start driving the car. (I have a perfectly good Subaru Outback that sits unused in the driveway. )

Chris
    I hope the prison thing is just visiting or just volunteering not how was your weekend fine only x more to go