• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clutch switch conundrum

awagnon

I recently bought back my mildly used 2009 1200RT with 27,000 miles on the odo. The final drive promptly failed completely, but that's another story. My conundrum is with the clutch microswitch. The bike began having intermittent starting problems about a month ago, which has gotten worse. I suspected the clutch microswitch and confirmed the problem with my GS911. It showed the switch was not closing (or opening) about 20% of the times the clutch was activated in my tests. Today I checked to see if the switch was adjustable, which it isn't, but did find that the tiny screw that holds it in place was slightly loose. Upon tightening it, I can no longer show the switch malfunctioning with my GS911 and the bike started fine on a single test ride. My problem is I'm about to leave on the bike for a 3,000 mile trip in about 10 days. So, my options are:

1. Call the switch fixed after tightening the screw and doing nothing else.
2. Order a new clutch switch and replace it before my trip. (My dealer doesn't stock it.)
3. Order the new switch and just carry it with me on the trip and change it if needed.

Anyone have any thoughts on which option I should do?

Al

Since you can start the bike even with a defective clutch switch (in neutral) - it doesn't seem like a disabling problem - so I'd pick one up and bring it along. At that point Eilenberger's Law of Spares kicks in.. "You never need the part you have.." so you should have a trouble-free (at least from a starting point of view) trip!

Yes, Don, it starts just fine in neutral with the clutch out. Thank you for your input. I believe I'll ride the bike as it is and carry the spare switch. Your Eilenberger law has always worked for me before. I carried nearly a complete, spare 1150RT with me when I traveled with my previous bike, and never needed to use any of the parts.

Al

That tiny screw is the adjustment point, the switch can be rotated a fraction before the 1.5 mm screw is tightened. Be very careful when removing the switch as there is a small button that the screw binds against that sits in a hole in the switch body...they will come out to never be found if you are not ready to catch it!
My GSA has needed tweaking a few times. My K12S with aftermarket levers needed it a few times as well
I have had a few fail, but typically it is just a smidge out of adjustment

And to Don's point, I still have an antenna ring since 2005 that have not had to use...yet.

That tiny screw is the adjustment point, the switch can be rotated a fraction before the 1.5 mm screw is tightened. Be very careful when removing the switch as there is a small button that the screw binds against that sits in a hole in the switch body...they will come out to never be found if you are not ready to catch it!

Steve. I never saw the "button" you are talking about. Also, I couldn't really see any adjustment in the switch. It seemed like the screw only held it in one position. I did completely remove the switch from the clutch handle housing and didn't see any other way to adjust it. BTW, it's the dual switch used with a bike with cruise control.

Al

Resurrecting an old thread, similar issue. I have a 2012 RT with a fickle clutch safety switch. Didn't see the button mentioned above. It does have a hole that matches up to an indexing pin. If I play with the handle adjustment, it's good for a few days, then I have to go back to starting in neutral. Any suggestions before ordering a new switch?

I have had personal experience and have seen similar experiences reported in various BMW fora - remove the switch (don't drop that tiny screw!) and blast it with contact cleaner. It wasn't evident to me how the cleaner would ever get to the contacts inside the microswitch but it worked great and has remained reliable for the past three seasons.

I researched the switch and while it is a standard microswitch it has been customized for BMW by adding that specific connector.

They can be sourced at Euro Motoelectrics.

I'm afraid the contact cleaner blast was last weekend. I pulled the switch out, and can push it in far enough to trigger it on the GS 911. It's like it needs a really small shim to work with the clutch lever. Might try to make one.

Back