• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

hylomar

brianfisk

Anyone know where I can buy hylomar sealant or if there is something out there that is basically the same features?

Hylomar

I'm not a fan of silicon based gasket sealants or gasket replacements. Unless the surfaces are absolutely free of all petroleum products, they will not adhere and leaks will reappear. I have been using a product called Yamaha Bond #4 for years. It is great for 2 surfaces that seal without a gasket (motorcycle engine cases, etc) as well as for sealing seals, gaskets and other surfaces. It does not harden but sets up nicely and lasts and lasts. I've even successfully sealed and enjoy a leak-free classic Mini engine -a real rarity.
Part # 90890-05143 at your local Yamaha dealer.

I'm not a fan of silicon based gasket sealants or gasket replacements. Unless the surfaces are absolutely free of all petroleum products, they will not adhere and leaks will reappear.

I generally agree. But when I looked up Yamaha Bond #4: "A silicone-based liquid gasket that fills gaps on a flange surfaces. When cured (sets in 60 minutes), this product forms a rubber-like gasket that resists high temperatures, seals joints, and offers gear- and engine-oil resistance." Perhaps it has some other modifiers that make it work where others don't.

Problem with silicone based sealants IMHO, has always been how generously they are applied to escape the perverbial leaking whatever, and the side effect of blobs in the crankcase possibly oil gallery and unintended consequence. I like the anaerobic sealants, FWIW.

Many years ago Ducati replaced many paper gaskets with a sealant of some sort. Seems to work fine.

And even more years ago, Rolls Royce specified Hylomar as the sealant of choice for their engines.

I use to use Hylomar on my 81 R100RT but eventually it would weep at the cylinder base. I now use Yamabond #4 with zero weeping or other issues.

I have had great success with the Permatex Ultra grey.
In one instance from the outside as the customer did not want to spend the $ to do it right.

Ultra Grey is good stuff but the Permatex Right Stuff is identical to many, many OE engine manufacturers. The only thing that doesn't make it the Perfect Stuff is it's $$$.

Back