• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200R Windshield

wkuwiz

Hello!
My wife is shopping for a taller windshield for her 2008 R1200R. She found a CB 23". I'd like to know if any members have used the Cee Bailey's 23" model. Seems it would put a h***uva strain on the brackets. How's the protection?

My wife is 6' with shoes on and that's the recommended height for her as a rider. Feel free to weigh in with other tall options (Ztechnik, etc) you use on your R1200R.

At the end of the day she is going to find that to imitate an RT's protection you have to buy an RT... :) :)

CW.. I'll address it in reverse order.

She may like that it's not an RT - I like my R1200R with a small windshield (CeeBailey 17" one), tried larger and didn't like them.

You wife's height is only part of the equation - what is her inseam vs torso height? Someone with a 27" inseam 6' tall will tower over a windshield that someone with a 37" inseam and 6' tall would be just fine behind. There is also the question of what seat is she using - there were eventually 4 different height seats available for the R1200R - and the variation is about 3" between lowest and tallest.

Finally - which Cee Bailey? And what bracket do you have now. BMW sold a "touring" shield and bracket for the R1200R - that bracket is plenty strong enough for most anything you care to throw on it. They also sold the itty-bitty sport screen, with a small 2 arm bracket (painted black) - I wouldn't use a large screen with that bracket - it doesn't appear strong enough to me.

<<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>>

Now that's all out of the way - she or you may want to visit an R1200R specific forum: http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewforum.php?f=20 - and do some searching on windscreens. Through the years there have been extensive discussions of what works for who and why - and even modifications to the screens and brackets to make them work better. There are two different touring screen brackets - '07-'09 and '10 to end of production in '14. The first one is much easier to modify a bit. The goal with the modification may not seem intuitive - but it's to move the top edge of the screen closer to the rider, and have a greater attack angle on the screen. This greatly reduces turbulence coming off ANY screen used on the R1200R. The second bracket can be modified but it's more intensive to do.. I eventually designed a fitting that goes on the bracket between the bottom screen mount and the bracket that achieves this goal, and one of the good members on that forum made up a set of them for me. They work perfectly.

That's all I have to say about that.. :) Your wife may want the R1200R vs an R1200RT simply because it's lots easier to wheel around at low speeds or walk around for the garage or parking. I've owned RT's (K bikes) and have no desire to ever own one again. I ride my R1200R year-round in NJ without a problem, and I've done about 12 countries in Europe and coast-2-coast-2-coast in the US twice on R1200R's. They work perfectly for me as a touring bike. Heading off to New England this weekend and may end up in Canada for a bit (never know.. sometimes I just can't seem to stop riding..) all on an R1200R.

Back