Thread: Stanch Clamp on a 2015 RT

Stanch Clamp on a 2015 RT

Well BT Cycle makes a product called a Stanch Clamp.

After I found out about them I wanted and got them. Here is what they look like on.

And how it is machined.

Here is the thread and how to get them if you want them.

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...eview.1211958/

YMMV
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Great!
    For those who see this and wonder what it's in reference to-
    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...tanchion-issue
    An issue currently being addressed by BMW, albeit (reportedly) slowly due to a shortage of parts.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

The recall affects only water-cooled GS's and GSA's, not RT's, but I presume the OP knows this.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    The recall affects only water-cooled GS's and GSA's, not RT's, but I presume the OP knows this.
    And not all 2013-2017 GS and GSAs.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    Yes I know this.

However riddle me this. If a RT fork and a GS fork sat on a table could you tell the difference? NO! This is my point.

A higher percent of GS are not going off road yet still receive the fix, why should a identical system be ignored?

Oh thats right GS riders are harder on their bikes. Well the one I chase has NEVER been off road yet got the fix at 12K service.

I ride huge miles, dodge potholes at high speeds, stay leaned over more than most GS is stressing those crimps, yet I am told not to worry about it. Hell I could not even buy them from BMW even when they are caught up the dealer said no. Do not get it at all.

So for the piece of mind I used this outstanding product to hedge my bets a bit.
    And it does not have to fail to affect the bike. If it is even a bit loose that is traveling down the length of the forks, being amplified by the length of the fork, and working on tire wear and handling.

Not everyone's cup of tea but I like a little lemon in my tea. Or a little support on my fork crimps.

And as far as I know EVERY GS in the years is affected and will be retrofitted.

Just us slow moving, non leaning, no pothole hitting, marshmallow riding RT's that have nothing to worry about. Not for everyone but for 150 bucks I will take the piece of mind. Also the weight on the triple tree is a good thing, not too hard on the eyes, and made by a hobbyist who thought outside of the box. I will support a hobbyist long before BMW who IMHO should retro all forks using that crimp system not just GS and GSA. And while supplies are tight right now I expected my dealer to say yes when we get caught up we will put a set on your RT for X amount of money. It was a flat out NO!

So once a gain I have to go around BMW for a failure of their making while they will only fix half of their mistakes.

Well at least I dont have to keep a properly shimmed FD boxed up to be sent to me on the road in case of failure like I had to for my LT.

YMMV
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

It's your money and your piece of mind. Being proactive can be a good thing. That's a fine looking clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post

So for the piece of mind

YMMV
    And that is a solid reason for wanting and installing this product.

Confidence in the machine leads to confidence in your riding. Having confidence leaves you (hopefully) in a relaxed but ready mental state - ready to respond to situations you encounter on the road and relaxed for immediate response to 'threats'. If this modification increases your confidence, then it is a solid improvement for anyone that has thoughtfully considered the 'possibilities'.

I also have followed the 'GS' issue and wondered. I've also crashed an RT Camhead heavy enough to know how the forks come off of the bike. I have confidence in the design of the Wethead bike and personally am not too worried - but am aware. This winter I will look that the design of the forks and see if this is something that I want to add to my personal bike. And that is something all might consider when modifying our personal bikes - decide if the modification is being done to improve our confidence (and safety) in the bike or because we saw this on the internet.

LFarling, please keep us informed on your progress. Ride Safe.

OK - I diddn't find it. The price for a pair is what ?????
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    OK - I diddn't find it. The price for a pair is what ?????
    150.00 bucks

My right gap was .12 The left was tight no gap. So I would think it is a range for assembly to be ok with a certain gap.

Peal the rubbers down and have a look RT owners you can see what you have under those rubber boots pretty easy.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

I'll be ordering a pair, always wondered why RT wasn't recalled, same suspension

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    I'll be ordering a pair, always wondered why RT wasn't recalled, same suspension
    BMW logic is RT are not put under the stress of off road riding conditions. And I agree 100%. However the GS bikes I see are almost never off road. ever. Yet some are and that is where the failures show up in heavy off road use.

My point is a defect is a defect and there is no degree of that. It is either right or not. If you lay a RT and GS fork tube on a table you can not tell the difference.

The GS I chase for thousands of miles never has been off road. At his 12K they did the fix. I also would be ok if the dealer would have said we are taking care of the affected GS models but when the parts are more available we will install them on your RT for this amount of money. I got No we are not going to be doing that.

Not a big deal and while not cheap it gives me a sense of security and I am happy I did them. The hobbyist deserves all the glory and benefits of his design. And I have confidence in a areo space company getting it right, and these do fit like a glove.

Easy on the eyes, easy install and a well made product.

YMMV
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Anyone remember when engineering calculations were done with a slide-rule? with a little extra buffer thrown in "just in case". CAD only calculates for the parameters requested......not for use of the product outside of the parameters.
    The product looks good from the pictures
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Anyone remember when engineering calculations were done with a slide-rule?
    OM
    A podcast from Adventure Rider Radio recently talked about the issues & challenges engineers have with vehicles today. Tighter $ margins force tighter specs -that's just the way it it. The podcast is long, hang with it - and ignore the accent of engineer Milner (drove me nuts). The podcast is titled "Has the internet made you cluelessly modify your motorcycle"

http://www.adventureriderradio.com/a...ith-bret-tkacs

Ride Safe!