• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW 12GS/A OEM Pannier Rack Dealer Hold

worldtraveler

I just took delivery of a 2017 12GSA and the dealer advised they cannot provide the OEM pannier racks due to a regulatory issue with visibility of rear reflectors when panniers are mounted. They don't have any idea if/when the issue will be resolved.:banghead:banghead Does anyone have any info on this? Searching forum or Google was unsuccessful. Thanks

I just took delivery of a 2017 12GSA and the dealer advised they cannot provide the OEM pannier racks due to a regulatory issue with visibility of rear reflectors when panniers are mounted. They don't have any idea if/when the issue will be resolved.:banghead:banghead Does anyone have any info on this? Searching forum or Google was unsuccessful. Thanks

Welcome to the forum!
Sure- some info here- in the Wethead forum- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?90029-R1200-GS-Adventure-saddlebag-mount-recall
And in the links in the thread.
Usually a GSA would come with the mounts, were they removed? Do they not want to sell you the bags?
Seems like there would be a way around this.
Gary

There are official recalls, in Canada and the U.S., for a number of BMW models, over a number of model years, related to rear reflectors that do not meet regulations. It pretty much seems to be those models where cases are optional equipment, like the GS, GSA, S1000XR etc. Dealers have been instructed that they cannot sell the optional cases for those models, until BMW has come up with a solution. Nobody has a timeline as to when a fix will be available, though simply affixing red reflectors on the cases themselves seems relatively straightforward. However, there's an additional wrinkle involving just the GSA. It was determined that even the standard GSA rear racks (without the cases installed) can obscure the existing rear reflectors at some angles. That's why dealers have been told that they must remove the racks before delivering a new GSA to a customer. So, to resolve the issue for the GSA will involve fixing the bags, and also fixing the racks. What that fix will end up being is anybody's guess at this point. To be clear, dealers did not decide this on their own; they were instructed by BMW to remove racks from new GSAs, and also not to sell side cases, until fixes are available.

If that's the way it went, I'm sure the dealers are just tap-dancin' happy over this.
OM

There are official recalls, in Canada and the U.S., for a number of BMW models, over a number of model years, related to rear reflectors that do not meet regulations. It pretty much seems to be those models where cases are optional equipment, like the GS, GSA, S1000XR etc. Dealers have been instructed that they cannot sell the optional cases for those models, until BMW has come up with a solution. Nobody has a timeline as to when a fix will be available, though simply affixing red reflectors on the cases themselves seems relatively straightforward. However, there's an additional wrinkle involving just the GSA. It was determined that even the standard GSA rear racks (without the cases installed) can obscure the existing rear reflectors at some angles. That's why dealers have been told that they must remove the racks before delivering a new GSA to a customer. So, to resolve the issue for the GSA will involve fixing the bags, and also fixing the racks. What that fix will end up being is anybody's guess at this point. To be clear, dealers did not decide this on their own; they were instructed by BMW to remove racks from new GSAs, and also not to sell side cases, until fixes are available.

Thanks. I knew the dealers didn't want this, and they gave me a BMW soft bag as 'compensation' (per BMW instructions). I asked the dealer if I can take the racks if I sign a hold-harmless waiver of responsibility. No response yet, and I don't expect they have that latitude. I bought Globescout panniers and guess I'll have to buy the Globescout mounting rack, since I learned how dependent I am on panniers for storing tools, my helmet/jacket and hauling groceries/beer. Strapping stuff into soft bags on the top rack doesn't cut it, unless it's for a long trip and the panniers are full. Thanks again for the info.

Welcome to the forum!
Sure- some info here- in the Wethead forum- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?90029-R1200-GS-Adventure-saddlebag-mount-recall
And in the links in the thread.
Usually a GSA would come with the mounts, were they removed? Do they not want to sell you the bags?
Seems like there would be a way around this.
Gary

Thanks. The dealer had to remove the mounts until the reflector issue is resolved. No timeframe given. My solution would be to put reflector tape or paint on the rear portion of the rack (so it's visible when panniers are off) and on the panniers (when installed). However, I'm not German... The dealer did not try to sell the panniers. BMW Motorrad provided the large top soft bag free of charge "as compensation" which means if I want a refund for the rack, I need to return the soft bag. Hopefully my son hasn't thrown away the box and packing material... The Globescout panniers arrive on Monday, so I need to either 'liberate' the BMW racks from the dealer, or buy the Globescout racks. The Globescout panniers and rack cost less than the cost of the LH/RH BMW panniers or the Touratech Zega Pro panniers/rack (which I had on my last GSA). And they received good reviews. We'll see...

Buy the Givi quick release racks along with Givi bags instead and save a bunch of money!

Bought Globescout panniers and saved a bunch of money. They have a quick release rack also. Not sure how this will end, but most likely I'll have to get the Globescout rack and then get a credit for the BMW racks (if the dealer reluctantly accepts that) or sell them to someone looking for a deal.

Don't buy the bike till they solve the problem unless it's too late.

Too late. 2017 R1200 GSA triple black is already being upgraded with farkles. My son is riding my 2015 1200 GSA since his 800GSA was totaled by a guy that crossed four lanes of traffic to take a left turn, then changed his mind and turned back across the four lanes and clipped my son. He's recovered, but NEEDED my 1200 GSA. I gave him the Zega Pro panniers since new ones aren't cheap.

GSA bag and rack hold

Buy the Givi quick release racks along with Givi bags instead and save a bunch of money!

Checked with the Dealer about removal of the mounting brackets from GSA. The cost for the mounts is $350 when purchasing a GSA and you cannot order a GSA without the mounts. Dealer advised BMW would not reimburse $350 if purchaser wanted to purchase Jesse system. Jesse mounts and bags are more user friendly than BMW and do not interfere with the stock reflectors. Makes no sense to me, but its BMW.:banghead

Checked with the Dealer about removal of the mounting brackets from GSA. The cost for the mounts is $350 when purchasing a GSA and you cannot order a GSA without the mounts. Dealer advised BMW would not reimburse $350 if purchaser wanted to purchase Jesse system. Jesse mounts and bags are more user friendly than BMW and do not interfere with the stock reflectors. Makes no sense to me, but its BMW.:banghead

I think it is unreasonable to expect a dealer to reimburse a buyer for removing a factory installed item. I have Jesse bags on my GSA, but did not expect the dealer lower the price because I didn't want their racks. Would you expect them to do the same for seats, windshields and tires?

Must be part of the "inconvenience package". Extra turmoil is low on my list of things I need. Myself, I would pass on delivery (payment) until this issue is resolved. "Factory racks" was a selling point when I was looking at the GSA's. :dunno
OM

I think it is unreasonable to expect a dealer to reimburse a buyer for removing a factory installed item. I have Jesse bags on my GSA, but did not expect the dealer lower the price because I didn't want their racks. Would you expect them to do the same for seats, windshields and tires?

For the sake of argument, the price included the racks as an accessory- now it doesn't.
OM

For the sake of argument, the price included the racks as an accessory- now it doesn't.
OM

I see your point, but I still do not think it is the dealer's responsibility to reimburse the buyer for the racks. BMW will ultimately have to fix the issue and provide racks that are part of the solution; and perhaps some sort of compensation to those inconvenienced by this. I know it is a giant pain in arse for those caught in the middle. I just dodged this situation. I bought my bike not very long before this rather silly recall/stop sale began. I imagine I'll get a letter but my racks are now on the 2013 R1200GS of the friend who bought them.

I see your point, but I still do not think it is the dealer's responsibility to reimburse the buyer for the racks. BMW will ultimately have to fix the issue and provide racks that are part of the solution; and perhaps some sort of compensation, Perhaps a set of chrome Takata air-bags, to those inconvenienced by this. I know it is a giant pain in arse for those caught in the middle. I just dodged this situation. I bought my bike not very long before this rather silly recall/stop sale began. I imagine I'll get a letter but my racks are now on the 2013 R1200GS of the friend who bought them.

FTFY :D

All this nonsense has me re-thinking having a look at the 310GS.....until some shake-out time has passed.
Sure would be interesting to find out who dropped the ball/what happened on this one.
OM

GSA bags/mounts

Different circumstances here. The Dealer CANNOT deliver the vehicle with the mounts installed. They remove the mounts and deliver an incomplete vehicle to the tune of $350 bag mounts. All I want to do is purchase Jesse bags and mounts in order to utilize the vehicle I ordered. Why am I held hostage by BMW for a vehicle which is without purchased bag mounts?:banghead

Different circumstances here. The Dealer CANNOT deliver the vehicle with the mounts installed. They remove the mounts and deliver an incomplete vehicle to the tune of $350 bag mounts. All I want to do is purchase Jesse bags and mounts in order to utilize the vehicle I ordered. Why am I held hostage by BMW for a vehicle which is without purchased bag mounts?:banghead

Yes, BMW is treating you poorly and BMW could/should reduce the price of the bike by $350. I just don't think the dealer is responsible to do so, although a smart dealer could absorb the loss just to keep you as a customer.

Back