Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: BMW 12GS/A OEM Pannier Rack Dealer Hold

  1. #16
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    11,898
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I think it is unreasonable to expect a dealer to reimburse a buyer for removing a factory installed item. I have Jesse bags on my GSA, but did not expect the dealer lower the price because I didn't want their racks. Would you expect them to do the same for seats, windshields and tires?
    For the sake of argument, the price included the racks as an accessory- now it doesn't.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  2. #17
    FUKENGRUVEN SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    THE BIG SKY
    Posts
    6,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    For the sake of argument, the price included the racks as an accessory- now it doesn't.
    OM
    I see your point, but I still do not think it is the dealer's responsibility to reimburse the buyer for the racks. BMW will ultimately have to fix the issue and provide racks that are part of the solution; and perhaps some sort of compensation to those inconvenienced by this. I know it is a giant pain in arse for those caught in the middle. I just dodged this situation. I bought my bike not very long before this rather silly recall/stop sale began. I imagine I'll get a letter but my racks are now on the 2013 R1200GS of the friend who bought them.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  3. #18
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    11,898
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I see your point, but I still do not think it is the dealer's responsibility to reimburse the buyer for the racks. BMW will ultimately have to fix the issue and provide racks that are part of the solution; and perhaps some sort of compensation, Perhaps a set of chrome Takata air-bags, to those inconvenienced by this. I know it is a giant pain in arse for those caught in the middle. I just dodged this situation. I bought my bike not very long before this rather silly recall/stop sale began. I imagine I'll get a letter but my racks are now on the 2013 R1200GS of the friend who bought them.
    FTFY

    All this nonsense has me re-thinking having a look at the 310GS.....until some shake-out time has passed.
    Sure would be interesting to find out who dropped the ball/what happened on this one.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  4. #19

    GSA bags/mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I think it is unreasonable to expect a dealer to reimburse a buyer for removing a factory installed item. I have Jesse bags on my GSA, but did not expect the dealer lower the price because I didn't want their racks. Would you expect them to do the same for seats, windshields and tires?
    Different circumstances here. The Dealer CANNOT deliver the vehicle with the mounts installed. They remove the mounts and deliver an incomplete vehicle to the tune of $350 bag mounts. All I want to do is purchase Jesse bags and mounts in order to utilize the vehicle I ordered. Why am I held hostage by BMW for a vehicle which is without purchased bag mounts?

  5. #20
    FUKENGRUVEN SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    THE BIG SKY
    Posts
    6,393
    Quote Originally Posted by 146023 View Post
    Different circumstances here. The Dealer CANNOT deliver the vehicle with the mounts installed. They remove the mounts and deliver an incomplete vehicle to the tune of $350 bag mounts. All I want to do is purchase Jesse bags and mounts in order to utilize the vehicle I ordered. Why am I held hostage by BMW for a vehicle which is without purchased bag mounts?
    Yes, BMW is treating you poorly and BMW could/should reduce the price of the bike by $350. I just don't think the dealer is responsible to do so, although a smart dealer could absorb the loss just to keep you as a customer.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  6. #21
    Registered User marcopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Alexandria Virginia/Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    897
    If you knew this before buying the bike, you're not being held hostage. On the other hand, if you didn't know this, that's a different story. I'm sure BMW would like to deliver the bike with racks as much as you want to get the bike with racks. BMW had dealers remove the racks because they cannot deliver a bike that's subject to a recall, and which fails to meet the regulations. Yes, I'd be irritated too. I'm not sure I'd expect BMW to refund me the cost of the racks, as they were part of the bike, though that's easy for me to say, I know. You will get the racks eventually, and they will give you a duffel, or whatever it is, in the meantime. Hardly consolation, I'm sure. There's nothing stopping you from buying Jesse bags and mounts, if you're desperate for them right now. Yes, you'd have paid for BMW racks. Maybe you could sell them once received, though I'm not sure what the market would be. GS riders who want aluminum cases?
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

  7. #22
    Registered User wbrownell9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New Castle, DE
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I think it is unreasonable to expect a dealer to reimburse a buyer for removing a factory installed item. I have Jesse bags on my GSA, but did not expect the dealer lower the price because I didn't want their racks. Would you expect them to do the same for seats, windshields and tires?
    If a buyer took delivery of a GSA after the dealer removed the racks per BMWNA direction, and told the dealer to keep them, then why shouldn't the dealer should essentially buy back the new undamaged racks? I mean, he can resell them at list for $800 why not sweeten the deal for the buyer of a ~$20K bike too?
    2016 R1200 GSA

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for Boston Dealer to hold bike for pickup
    By calulus in forum Regional Northeast
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 11:46 PM
  2. How much gas does it REALLY hold?
    By DaveSlash5 in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 06:41 PM
  3. New 12GS tires, and my 12GS tire history
    By Polarbear in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 04:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •