• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1600's any frame differences

h2onutz

My current ride is a 2015 F800R, I'm contemplating going to one of the K1600's but was curious if the frame was the same on all the models (B, GT, GTL). I like the look of the "B", however, I don't want to trade off handling performance of a GT. Essentially, are the bikes the same (B, GT, GL) and just the the cosmetic's change on each model?

My current ride is a 2015 F800R, I'm contemplating going to one of the K1600's but was curious if the frame was the same on all the models (B, GT, GTL). I like the look of the "B", however, I don't want to trade off handling performance of a GT. Essentially, are the bikes the same (B, GT, GL) and just the the cosmetic's change on each model?

Pretty much the same so far as the running gear goes. B and GTL wheelbase exactly the same. Different rear sub-frame (for passenger seat) on the B.

Welcome to the fourm.:wave

Can't say about the B as I have not seen one yet.
As for the GT and the GTL the riding positions are a little different.
I'm not sure if the frames are different to achieve the different riding positions.
The GT is a little more sport bike style seating then the GTL.
Just gonna have to throw your leg over them. :dance

Also the foot pegs. Small differences in ride modes and suspension settings. Some say you ride on a GT and in a GTL.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input, as Story (respondent) said "I guess I'll just have to throw a leg over them to see the difference" (the only negative with that, is that I might go home with a new ride).

Thanks everyone for your input, as Story (respondent) said "I guess I'll just have to throw a leg over them to see the difference" (the only negative with that, is that I might go home with a new ride).
That's the whole point isn't it. :thumb
As Sandra B said in Blind Side. If you don't love it in the store, you won't like it when you get it home.:dance

They use the same:
Frame - 46518388730
Wheel carrier - 31448548027 (since 01/2010)
Swing arm - 33358561749
K48 (K 1600 GT, K 1600 GTL)   (09/2015 — 06/2017)
K61 (K 1600 Bagger)   (01/2017 — 06/2017)

Front-end uses all the same major components including the strut but has a bit less travel and different castor so there are some differences.

The rear strut is unique but the linkage etc., is the same.

So different rear strut/shock and rear sub-frame and slightly different castor and front end travel, which is all to be expected.

Back