Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heated jacket liner

Quote Originally Posted by jolev55 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. It looks like I have several options. So the consensus is that the stock electrical outlets are basically worthless.
    Only useful within their proper amp range. I think I attached a photo of my power socket on my 14RT which I use for my heated gear as well as the battery tender , easy to install and you can purchase the socket at your BMW dealer or on line, by the way there is enough room at this location for two outlets in case you ride two up in cold weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hex EZCan used for jacket heater

I rigged my Hex Ezcan as the controller for my electric garments, plus the other usual items, lights, horn. Nice, neat installation controlled by the existing Wunderwheel (for heat intensity), & turn signal selector (for "on" "off.") Cheaper, cleaner, and lots neater than a typical heat controller, mounted on the handlebars, or wherever. The EZCan has a couple of leads that connect directly to the battery, and all the accessories (such as your jacket) then feed from the EZCan, which can handle around 25 amps, total, nominally.

Bike: 2017 R1200GS

I used EZCan Configuration 3, e.g.,

Red Circuit: Air horn operated by normal horn button. (Factory horn, left in place, works simultaneously, too.) (breaker tripped when set at 10 amps, but seems to work OK when set to 15 amps. I used a $16 horn from Ebay. Annoyingly loud--which is what I wanted, primarily for animals. [see http://katu.com/news/local/bear-stru...marion-county] Due to the different way that I had to use the "orange" circuit (below) the EZCan cannot flash my fog lights when the horn is sounded. <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-C...tem46665a94df: g:jrgAAOSwi8VZU07i&vxp=mtr>

Orange Circuit: Dedicated heated garment (jacket+gloves) circuit, breaker set to 10 amps. (2.4 ohm measured resistance with heated jacket and heated gloves in parallel--worst case-- or 14v/2.4ohms= ~6 amps.) Also have very small incandescent pilot light in this circuit to give me a visual indication of power (heat) level. [I initially tried an LED pilot, but it flickered annoyingly at low power due to PWM so I switched to an incandescent, which is more even-tempered.] Since I opted to use a nominal 10 amp "lighting circuit" for the heated jacket--and instead used the "white" accessory circuit for my fog lights, it means that I don't have access to the trick flashing of the fog lights normally associated with a typical EZCan installation. My red incandescent pilot light is from an airplane ($40) and has a twistable shutter to dim the lamp, if need be. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/el/presstotestindicators/ms25041.php> The bulb should last forever at the very low heat settings that I anticipate. My jacket plugin is identical to rhaines post, previously, however I am thinking that perhaps I should have mounted it in front of legs, to make the bike easier to mount. The rhaines mounting position is easiest, though, with much shorter wiring.

Yellow (brake) Circuit: Brake light (s), set to 1 amp for auxilliary LED license plate frame lights ($30.)

White (aux) Circuit: Two 10w LED Cree "fog" lights ($12 each) in parallel (1.3 amps measured; breaker set to 2 amps.) These are for enhanced recognition. Might go to slightly bigger lights now that I see that I have a couple amps extra to play with . . . <http://www.ebay.com/itm/2inch-10W-Cr...QkAAOSwQjNW9f0 Y&vxp=mtr> My jacket plugin is identical to rhaines post, previously.

The EZCan concept is a little inflexible if you want to do something that they hadn't intended, but I am sure they will improve on the device, add more features, etc., over time. On my former F800GT I had wired in a FuzeBlock (brand) relay for my previous F800GT bike, but the EZCan is much more compact and elegant.

I used Positaps (2) and Posi-splices (a lot of them) and they are all working without incident, but I am thinking of switching to knife splices for enhanced vibration resistance, covered with shrink for insulation.

For those tempted to do something likewise, it is worth noting that Denali is selling a licensed version of the Hex EZCan with a somewhat different feature set. It might be worth investigating that device for your future projects. It does cost, however, about $100 more than the EZCan and I am not sure if what it offers is worth the extra money.

Winter is coming and I'm ready!

Photo shows my pilot (jacket heat indicator) light, mounted to the back of the Nav6 GPS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jkjohnson; 09-14-2017 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by craigjv4 View Post
    Maybe another reason the heated gear OEM's recommend coax is that they pull apart fairly easily when you forget to unplug from the bike?
    I suspect the reason is two-fold. You make a good point of the plug pulling apart without damaging anything if you forget to disconnect it. The other reason I believe is simply for standardization. I can mix different brand gear without having to cut off plugs to make them work with another brand's gear with one plug setting.

As for location, I looked for a place where the plug wouldn't be in the way when I wasn't using the heated gear. In my case, I selected a place under the seat on the left side where I mount and dismount the bike. I can easily connect it that way...yet where it is, won't rub against the fairing as the cable to the controller sits between my thigh and the bike.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Hi Daboo,
    You could ditch the wire from the controller to the liner if you go blue tooth. That's what I'm using and the latest version of the Heat Troller uses two AA's for power instead of a watch battery. With the low power drain of the controller the two AAA's should last quite a while. I used some waterproof Velcro to mount the controller next to the key slot on the left fairing pocket.
    Later,
    Norm
    Last edited by gloucesterman; 09-16-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gloucesterman View Post
    Hi Daboo,
    You could ditch the wire from the controller to the liner if you go blue tooth...
    That sounds like a solution in search of a problem. This coming from a guy who was employed by a major airplane manufacturing company for 10 years in IT. I feel like a Luddite now.

I'll take my old tried and true wired controller. I'm already connecting my airbag vest before getting on the bike, so it's no big deal to make one more connection. I've commuted probably 70,000 miles with heated gear and it works fine like this.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6