Thread: 2000 k1200 lt abs issues

2000 k1200 lt abs issues

well here we go , after the screwed tire after about a hundred miles the abs lights are a flashing, alternately off course, several questions , will this pass inspection in mass? anyone in central mass have a diagnostic 911 that will work on this bike? there is no servo noise at front or rear brakes function seems normal . tried cleaning pick ups, and clearances are good on front but rear seems a little tight would this be enough to trigger fault?here you go lee !! thanks in advance! p.s. tried the on off several times , would disconnecting the battery help ? put the battery on charger and it immediatly showed fully charged.

If I remember correctly alternating 1 Hz flashing lights means low fluid. Check the fluid level in the servos.
    2004 R1150RT 183,000 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 418,600 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by kioolt View Post
    If I remember correctly alternating 1 Hz flashing lights means low fluid. Check the fluid level in the servos.
    checked fluid in front and rear reservoirs and are good not familiar with servo fluid levels will check the book thank you

On the servo assisted brake bikes there are four locations to check the fluid level. It sounds like you have checked two. You need to check the level in the two servo reservoirs. I'm not familiar with the K1200LT but on my R1150RT I have to remove the tank to check the level. That is most likely the reason the BMW engineers put a level sensor in them. There are no level sensors in the handlebar and rear brake peddle master cylinders. They are easy enough to visually inspect.
    2004 R1150RT 183,000 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 418,600 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by slatefish View Post
    checked fluid in front and rear reservoirs
    If the LT is like the K1200RS there's 2 chambers in the back reservoir, make sure both are full.

Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

abs flash

u need a GS 911 to reset fault codes

Quote Originally Posted by royemello View Post
    u need a GS 911 to reset fault codes
    well got around to checking servo levels and of course they were both right up at top so i think you sir have the correct diagnosis DAMN!

Thumbs up Brake warning light

I have had this issue before also. The fix has always been to fill the three reservoirs to the limit. the third one for the back is behind the lower panel which has to be removed to access. Even a millimeter low will trigger the warning light with about 1 second intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by slatefish View Post
    well here we go , after the screwed tire after about a hundred miles the abs lights are a flashing, alternately off course, several questions , will this pass inspection in mass? anyone in central mass have a diagnostic 911 that will work on this bike? there is no servo noise at front or rear brakes function seems normal . tried cleaning pick ups, and clearances are good on front but rear seems a little tight would this be enough to trigger fault?here you go lee !! thanks in advance! p.s. tried the on off several times , would disconnecting the battery help ? put the battery on charger and it immediatly showed fully charged.

The 2000LT does not have servo brakes & the fluid level is not monitored. The servo brakes with monitored fluid levels started with the 2002 US model LT's
    Dave Selvig
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    The 2000LT does not have servo brakes & the fluid level is not monitored. The servo brakes with monitored fluid levels started with the 2002 US model LT's
    Thank you. I thought I was hallucinating. I'd never heard of a 2000 LT with e-brakes and servos.

There is a code hidden in the flashing sequence of the ABS II warning lights. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm sure you can find it. The other obvious fault is low battery voltage.

You don't HAVE to have ABS on a bike in Mass, so if the brakes themselves are fine, you should pass inspection, provided only the ABS lights flash, and not the brake warning light itself.