Thread: RECALL: G310R European Commision :Alert number: A12/1200/17

RECALL: G310R European Commision :Alert number: A12/1200/17

European Commision :Alert number: A12/1200/17
    Category: Motor vehicles
    Product: Motorcycle
    Brand: BMW
    Name: G310R

Type / number of model: Type-approval number: e1*168/2013*00017* Type: 5R31
    Batch number / Barcode: The vehicles affected were produced between 15 December 2016 and 1 April 2017.

Risk type: Injuries

The front brake caliper is not correctly secured and may come loose.
    Measures taken by economic operators: Recall of the product from end users (By: Manufacturer)
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

Should be an easy recall in the US. I don't think any have arrived yet...
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Well...at least this recall isn't for final drive failure.
    "Der Bimmer ist wunderbar."

Tango Alpha
    2002 R1150RT

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

recall

Quote Originally Posted by tangoalpha View Post
    Well...at least this recall isn't for final drive failure.

YET !

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

310 R recall

What is happening with BMW Motorad? What kind of product oversight, at the manufacturer level, do they have? This past year has seen recalls on nearly all their motorcycle lines. Quality Control has apparently been eliminated by the "bean counters" to the detriment of the Dealers and customers. The reliability of their units has to certainly be in question.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    It seems to me that as more and more is thunk up by a company, as more and more parts are outsourced to others than that thunk up the concept....further farmed out to a "random" company for assembling, with a dash of bureaucratic "specksmanship"...... it's a wonder anything gets rolling.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

It amazes me how folks think a recall is some sort of apocalyptic event. Or that they represent a sign of anything at all.

"Quality" exists more in the design and materials used than it does in the production process. I'm certainly not interested in junk perfectly assembled.

Back in the 1980s my R100RS arrived with dabs of green paint on the screws holding the calipers to the forks and the rear bracket. Guess this means somebody checked them. Today I suspect caliper mount screws are tightened via pneumatic or electric drivers, which I'd suppose required periodic calibration. I'd not be interested in helping pay the salary of a second person double checking each and every screw and then putting a dab of paint on them. In the end, the power tool is almost always more reliable than a human process.

When we buy new bikes from dealers we always want the best deal. To afford this, the dealer may not have an employee checking every fastener on the bike. They only get paid to do this when there are recalls ... and that's why there are recalls.

In another thread here a year or more ago, I researched economic data to determine that a new R1200RS sells for virtually the same in constant dollars as my 1984 RS did. So ... fuel injection, brakes that work, ABS, 125 vs 60 hp, 6 speeds vs 5, better suspension by far ... for the same price? Cool! I'd suspect some automation contributed to this ... and it's then in the monitoring and calibration process for the machines.

No, these are the good old days, and a few recalls are just noise.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

The value of having the best design and engineering and using the best materials is negated if the production process doesn’t reflect the same commitment to quality. What the recent recalls/campaigns indicate to me is that BMW needs to pay more attention to the entire manufacturing process if they want to maintain a reputation for making premium bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicota View Post
    The value of having the best design and engineering and using the best materials is negated if the production process doesn’t reflect the same commitment to quality. What the recent recalls/campaigns indicate to me is that BMW needs to pay more attention to the entire manufacturing process if they want to maintain a reputation for making premium bikes.
    My "premium" motorcycle came from the factory with misaligned camshafts, and burned lots of oil at first.
    I learned that high quality (materials, process, or assembly) and high price are not necessarily related.